Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2012, 07:30 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the Auto Chinon 55/1.4, (M42) and I'm certain it was made by Tomioka.
It's a super performer. Because of narrow DOF @ F1.4 you might need liveview to focus accurately (I do).
There are some shots in my Single in April 2012 album here --> jackassp's Album: Single in April 2012 - PentaxForums.com

Sharp, good bokeh, great colour and contrast. Virtually zero CA too.

Last edited by jackassp; 06-20-2012 at 07:43 AM.
06-20-2012, 07:36 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Anyone used Chinon's on a Pentax DSLR? Any problems? I'd really like to know before I attempt to go there.
Of the Chinons and Chinars I mentioned above, none have been any problem on my K20D. Canon dSLRs do have problems with adapted lenses fouling their mirrors, but Pentax mirrors don't stick out so far.
06-20-2012, 07:51 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Of the Chinons and Chinars I mentioned above, none have been any problem on my K20D. Canon dSLRs do have problems with adapted lenses fouling their mirrors, but Pentax mirrors don't stick out so far.
specifically it is on FF canons like the 5D2, which is why you see people shaving he mirror on them

Canon 5D Mirror Modification

So desperate are these canon guys to use our old taks they will butcher their expensive cameras and reduce the VF coverage:

Shouldn't be a problem on any Pentax (or for that matter on any Pentax FF when/If one ever comes)

Add for the new LXD can be

Tired of trying to shave the mirror on your camera to use all these lenses (picture of offending lenses) No problem get an LXD
06-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Some of the 55 f1.2 Chinon lenses were Tomioka designs. Some of the f1.4 Chinon lenses could have been their designs and some Tomioka.

From Camerapedia

QuoteQuote:
Tomioka was bought by Yashica in 1968 and changed its name to Tomioka Kōgaku K.K. (冨岡光学㈱, Tomioka Optical Co., Ltd.) in 1969.[13] The Tomioka plant made Carl Zeiss licensed optics for use on some Japanese cameras, like the Contax. These were made with at least some Zeiss tooling and personnel.[14] Tomioka became part of the Kyocera group in 1983 after the merge of Kyocera and Yashica and became Kyocera Optec Co., Ltd. (京セラオプテック㈱) in 1991.[15] Rumours say that Carl Zeiss progressively took control of the production facility and closed down the plant but they seem wrong (though the production line of the Zeiss licensed lenses has obviously stopped).[16] The company currently (2008) still exists.
http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Tomioka

06-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The more I see of pics taken with this lens the more I think I am really going to like it. It looks nice and sharp and the way it handles reds looks particularly nice to me. That lot is looking like more and more of a bargain as I type, laugh. I just wish it would get here. It's just left Illinois and has 1000 miles to go, sigh. Definitely not showing up before Friday or Saturday, sigh. The sad thing is I doubt I'll get to do much with them till next month. Company coming in a week. I'm too busy scrubbing over at my parents to get any photo work done.
06-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #21
Pentaxian

All the M42 55/f1.4 *non like Chinon, Revuenon, Cosinon, Rikenon, Yashinon and Mamiya Sekor (Sears as well )are believed to be designed/made by Tomioka. None was able to confirm so far.

I have all those lenses and I can confirm that they are very similar in build and IQ.
06-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #22
Veteran Member

There's such thing as an inferior 50, and an inferior Zeiss. I have a copy of both - In a single lens. 50/2.8 That was hardly as sharp as my Rikonen 1.7 - Granted, the 50/2.8 is dirt cheap, but I never expected it to simply fall apart during normal use.(Focusing one day, and the barrel unthreads from the mount section magically)

06-21-2012, 12:08 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm seeing a lot of Chinon cameras with Chinar lenses online. Is that just coincidence or are they actually related? I can't find any info that says they are, but then again I can't find any that says they're aren't and it seems funny to me that in the past few days that I've seen like 4 Chinon cameras with a Chinar on them instead of a Chinon listed for sale or auction.

Last edited by magkelly; 06-21-2012 at 01:38 AM.
06-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I was reading a bit more about it and I ran across someone who was talking about the Chinon lenses and how it messed with her mirror when she focused past infinity? Anyone know anything about that? That's the first I've ever heard of such a thing. She had it on a Canon DSLR apparently but I'm really hoping that was just her and her Canon and whatever adapter she was using. Anyone used Chinon's on a Pentax DSLR? Any problems? I'd really like to know before I attempt to go there. I do have the official M42 adapter. Is there a flange or pin type situation here that I need to be aware of? I know the Sears lens will likely need a pin removed and that I have to remove a plastic plate on the Vivitar, but is there anything I should do before mounting a Chinon on my K-x? Thanks!
magkelly, I have many Chinon lenses both in k-mount and m42 mount. In the m42 mount category, there are also different designs depending on the manufacturers including kodak, tokina, alpa and tomoika. They are all very good to excellent quality wise. Also, on the k-mount, I have not come across any one that has the KR pin like the Sears/Ricoh or other third party manufacturers. On the m42 mount, almost all have the A/M switches. When I have a chance, I will submit a review on the various chinon lenses I have include one recently which I use to shoot the entire event with one and only auto-chinon (without the "tomioka" name on the name-ring) 55mm/1.4. If you find some in good condition, particularly the m42 ones (1.4 or better), I suggest you to go for it.

Last edited by aleonx3; 06-25-2012 at 09:04 PM. Reason: correction: no "tomioka" name on name ring
06-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
magkelly, I have many Chinon lenses both in k-mount and m42 mount. In the m42 mount category, there are also different designs depending on the manufacturers including kodak, tokina, alpa and tomoika. They are all very good to excellent quality wise. Also, on the k-mount, I have not come across any one that has the KR pin like the Sears/Ricoh or other third party manufacturers. On the m42 mount, almost all have the A/M switches. When I have a chance, I will submit a review on the various chinon lenses I have include one recently which I use to shoot the entire event with one and only auto-chinon (tomioka with the name on the name-ring) 55mm/1.4. If you find some in good condition, particularly the m42 ones (1.4 or better), I suggest you to go for it.
Did Alpa ever actually make any lenses? I thought they contracted theirs built.
06-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I like the 55 so far. I was playing with it indoors a bit earlier. I can't do much outside. It's pouring buckets. Rain has been spoiling my party ever since I got the package. Haven't been outside to play with the GAF and the lenses at all, sigh. The 55 is not bad. Nearly as sharp as a Tak and the way it handles colors, particularly the reds, is very nice. I saw that in some of the demo pics people have posted online and I wondered if mine would be that nice on the reds and I'm happy to say it is so far. Most of my lenses the red comes off as a bit blue and it's never quite right. With the Chinon it seems warmer and the saturation is better controlled. I like it. I like my photos a bit warmer most of the time.
06-25-2012, 09:13 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I like the 55 so far. I was playing with it indoors a bit earlier. I can't do much outside. It's pouring buckets. Rain has been spoiling my party ever since I got the package. Haven't been outside to play with the GAF and the lenses at all, sigh. The 55 is not bad. Nearly as sharp as a Tak and the way it handles colors, particularly the reds, is very nice. I saw that in some of the demo pics people have posted online and I wondered if mine would be that nice on the reds and I'm happy to say it is so far. Most of my lenses the red comes off as a bit blue and it's never quite right. With the Chinon it seems warmer and the saturation is better controlled. I like it. I like my photos a bit warmer most of the time.
if you score a good one, I think the Chinon (Tomioka make) is as good as (or even better than) a Tak; and I also do not have any problem with the 'red' channel, besides, the color seems be quite accurate.

Attached is a sample photo taken at a recent event (I use the Chinon 55/1.4 for whole event).

My two go-to MF lenses are Chinon 24/f2.5 and 55/1.4 as in this picture, I have many memorable shots from these two lenses. The multi coated Chinon 24/2.5 is likely from the kodak plant with the Alpa design (also nice lenses from 28/2.8 and 35/2.8 plus some macro zooms).
Attached Images

06-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That shot of the singers is lovely. That's hard, all that green and warm red in the same shot. Usually the lens ends up favoring one or the other. Your Chinons are doing an excellent job of showing off both. Nice, and that's exactly what I meant. I get nice reds with my Taks but they're always cooler. To get something like this I'd have to add a warming filter or change it in post.
06-26-2012, 02:31 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I've just got another two Chinons, a 28 / 2.8, which I think is very sharp - when you hit the spot, but at the moment I'm not hitting the spot very successfully with it
And a very nice 300 / 5.6, which is sharp, but I haven't had a chance to use much yet, it's a lens I think I'll like.
06-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
I have the Auto Chinon 55/1.4, (M42) and I'm certain it was made by Tomioka.
It's a super performer. Because of narrow DOF @ F1.4 you might need liveview to focus accurately (I do).
There are some shots in my Single in April 2012 album here --> jackassp's Album: Single in April 2012 - PentaxForums.com

Sharp, good bokeh, great colour and contrast. Virtually zero CA too.
Nice set of photos... LOL, I have the identical lens with a lower serial no. (probably from an earlier batch compared to yours). The lens is a real gem to use; focusing is real smooth and well dampened; color rendition/reproduction is excellent. Real sharp on my k-5 with no AF adjustment needed.