Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2012, 08:51 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

I liked my wide lenses when I was in Washington last year

06-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
- Where are you staying at while you are out here?
- Make sure you visit the "national portrait gallery" - one of the better museums here.
- Leave the tripod at the hotel unless you are shooting nightscapes.
- Make sure your backpack isn't overly big, backpacks are not allowed to be attached to your back at a few of the museums so be prepared to wear +(spell check error on original)+ it on your front side.
06-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Did not know about the backpack issue. Great info. Man I need a new camera back quickly. This is what I have so right now and it's big: Case Logic SLR Camera/Laptop Backpack > SLR Camera Cases > Case Logic
06-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bass3587 Quote
Did not know about the backpack issue. Great info. Man I need a new camera back quickly. This is what I have so right now and it's big: Case Logic SLR Camera/Laptop Backpack > SLR Camera Cases > Case Logic
It's not really "an issue" so to speak, it is just a pain in the arss in some of the buildings - there are check in places in most of the smithsonian buildings, I just don't trust my things at the check in's and security will tell you if you have really expensive stuff they recommend you keep it with you, but it just feels awkward to me with it strapped on my frontside, feels like I am carrying a baby...

FYI: The backpack rules are for safety so you are not turning and bumping into people with the backpack, fully understandable (another reason for no tripods at nearly all public places)...

06-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #20
klh
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I liked my wide lenses when I was in Washington last year
Great shots Twitch! And I agree, don't go without a wide angle. I took my Tamron 28-75 and several times wished I had my DA15 as well.

06-20-2012, 12:49 AM   #21

Photos: Gallery
As others have said, traveling light is important in DC because you'll probably do lots of walking, it's hot as ____, and museums can hassle you if you have a large bag. I've walked across the city and gone to museums with only an A28 2.8 and had fun but you will probably want something both wider and longer at various times. The 55-300 is a very versatile lens for shots of people and especially useful if you are going somewhere like the zoo. If I had to pick two from your list I'd probably recommend 18-55 and 55-300 for the versatility but I would try very hard to include at least one of your primes. They're small, light, and will come in handy!

An interesting side trip for a photographer is the National Building Museum. It's only a few blocks north of the National Gallery and east of the previously-mentioned Portrait Gallery. The museum has interesting exhibits but for me the highlight is the iconic building itself. Personally, I think the morning sun on the Building Museum's brick facade viewed from the escalator at the Judiciary Square metro station's northern entrance (toward the Police Memorial, not the courthouses) is one of the most beautiful sights in DC.
06-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #22
MSM
Veteran Member

What a timely thread. The family has decided to take a trip to D.C. in late July. I was thinking of asking PF members for places for the kids (10 and 7 y.o.) to see and of course ideas for photos.

I am still thinking of the lenses to bring. I am leaning toward the K5 with the 43 mm, 15 mm and my Fuji X10 as a zoom (28-112 equiv) . Do you think I should bring the 18-135 WR too?

Keep up any other suggestions!

@Twitch: your second shot is the Metro? I have seen that shot before. Is there a specific place to see the roof or is that thorough out the Metro. It looks cool especially with the wide angle.
06-21-2012, 08:33 AM   #23
MSM
Veteran Member

Oh, where would you recommend staying? In Washinton D.C. proper or in say Crystal City, VA as I have heard about?

06-21-2012, 09:04 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Oh, where would you recommend staying? In Washinton D.C. proper or in say Crystal City, VA
That all depends on how much you are looking to spend for hotel accommodations - in July you can find rates for an average hotel around $175 a night, keep in mind this is an average hotel, 4 stars will run quite a bit more. Crystal City is nice and you can probably find better rates over there then you can take the bus into DC.

I was thinking of asking PF members for places for the kids (10 and 7 y.o.) to see and of course ideas for photos.
The museums [National Museum of Natural History, Air & Space, American Indian Museum also great], maybe even the National Zoo (if you do the zoo, I recommend you pack your own food and drinks).

Here is a listing of family events for planning:

Family & Kids Events DC, Maryland and Virginia - CultureCapital.com

06-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #25
MSM
Veteran Member

@Joe thanks for the advice and links. I think my wife is leaning toward a hotel called The Taipei? Sounds like it's going to cost me! Possibly upwards of three 31 mm ltd lens equivalents. :-). You know you have it bad when you think about cost in terms of what you could have bought in terms of camera gear
06-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #26

Oh, where would you recommend staying? In Washinton D.C. proper or in say Crystal City, VA as I have heard about?
We were there two years ago and stayed at a cabin in the KOA in Fredericksburg. There are other motels/hotels that would be available in the city proper. We took the commuter train (Rail service in Virginia - VRE) in from Fredericksburg to the Union Station in Washington - tickets can be purchased at the station(s), convenience stores (7-11). You validate them at the terminals located at the stations prior to use. The cost of the tickets was reasonable (10.30 one way with multi ticket packages) and saved driving and parking in Washington. You might want to consider this as an alternative.

Regards
06-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the links guys. I'm checking out all the museums and I will be traveling light with a three lens combo.
07-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #28
Forum Member

There is a hotel with a roof top restaurant in Arlington, right across the river from DC where you can get some really good shots of the city. Trying to remember which one it is. For some reason my dad always called it the Roof Top Marriott I think. Not even sure if it's still there but, the view is really incredible. Obviously there are all the museums and monuments and such but there's also a lot of other stuff there. The National Cathedral is beautiful for example and around the art museums there's a ton of stuff outdoors including a tower structure made entirely from wire which when viewed from underneath creates a repeating and spiraling Star of David pattern. Schedule time for the obvious stuff but, as with most cities, the really great stuff is found just wandering around. Enjoy out fair city. It's great.