Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tripod ring for K-series 300mm f4.0

Does anyone know of a place to buy a removeable tripod ring for a K-Series 300mm f4.0 lens. This lens is quite heavy and I am sure that attaching the camera to a tripod with this lens mounted will put a very large strain on the camera mount hardware. I like this lens and would use it more if it had a tripod ring. Thanks for any suggestions.

Ray

06-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This one should work but you have to file off or pop off the white button because that is the part of the lens that this ring sits on, the only part that doesn't turn if I remember correctly. I filed off the white button so the contact with the lens from the tripod ring was consistent all the way around and then I could get the screw turned as tight as necessary to prevent the lens from moving at all.

Tripod Mount Ring for Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | eBay

Then there is the manfrotto bracket that attaches to the tripod socket on the camera and has the arm that goes out to the lens with the strap that wraps over the lens. Lowell should be able to weigh in with his set up soon.

Last edited by littledrawe; 06-17-2012 at 06:37 PM.
06-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I made my own
06-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I got two of the eBay ones, similar to those suggested by littledrawe. One was described as for a Canon 70-200 2.8, which was a bit small (and white), and one for a Canon 100 2.8 Macro, which fits better. Get a few of them and see which one fits best. Err on the side of larger.

I did not need to file down the white dot - I just padded the interior of the tripod ring and fitted it right over the top of the white ball. The tripod ring sits a bit skewed, but that is fine because the foot of the tripod ring still sits flat and perpendicular to the lens on a tripod.

Pic related:

Name:  k300-w-tripod-ring.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  60.1 KB

06-18-2012, 04:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Like Lowell I had one made specifically for this lens. The old K300/4 benefits mightily from this addition. See details/images the lens review area in the link below.

SMC Pentax 300mm F4 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Opinions vary on this lens but I like it.

Tom G