Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2008, 02:46 PM   #136
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote

edit: Wanted to say James, those are classic Nokton Paintings - you're last two shots. I almost just accepted them as normal these days forgetting they were so... Nokton! heh. Makes me think a high quality glossy page book of Nokton Paintings could be a really nice thing... anyone got any publishing connections?
Nokton is now an adjective. I discovered this lately that Nokton renders excellent foreground bokeh. I think it blurrs the foreground so well that this feature can be incorporated into picture making.

I wish I know any connections to publishing. I guess if we are all interested, we can compile a book with all the images from Nokton. (Free marketing for the company)

Nokton @ f2

It emphasized to me the Noktons unique personality. Sharp it can do, but its so strong in blur character it can overshadow its own sharpness and throws off a lot of photographic natural instinct.

The love/hate with this lens comes from either rolling with what it gives, just direct it and love what its actually doing under f2 and make the best you can with it, or stop it down to 2.8, where normal life begins. FWIW, the T*85 is a LOT like the Noktons big brother, for those that were interested in reaching out with their Nokton eye a little.
Your partner certainly has an eye for photography too. This tool really brings out the artistic nature of an individual.

85mm f1.4 seems to trumpt all lenses regardless of the brands and T* 85 will certainly be another example of a fine lens. My main concern is the amplified focal length in real life application. I had to try so hard not to look into your zeiss threads.

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote
I love narrow dof in general, but in this thread, you guys have shown me another side of bokeh. Stunning photos everyone!

Terrific lens with terrific possibilities in the right hands! Thank you all for sharing your photos!

Regards,
D
I think you might try the lens but it will probably dissapoint you given that you are used to the sharp and contrasty images from Takumar though.

09-13-2008, 06:20 PM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I think you might try the lens but it will probably dissapoint you given that you are used to the sharp and contrasty images from Takumar though.
LOL I dunno... I like the softer side of lenses too, that's why I really enjoy using LensBaby. And by looking at wonderful photos posted in this thread, I think that unique characteristics of this lens are very much to my liking!

Regards,
D
09-13-2008, 09:26 PM   #138

Photos: Gallery
Well this thread sure sold me Wasn't too confident in my ability to manually focus but I've been able to get tack sharp images with my M 50 f/1.7 as of late and can't wait till this one arrives.
09-15-2008, 04:43 PM   #139
Damn Brit

Five wonderful words..........

received in an email a few minutes ago.

Thanks
will ship today
Stephen

09-15-2008, 05:09 PM   #140
Veteran Member

edit: Wanted to say James, those are classic Nokton Paintings - you're last two shots. I almost just accepted them as normal these days forgetting they were so... Nokton! heh. Makes me think a high quality glossy page book of Nokton Paintings could be a really nice thing... anyone got any publishing connections?

After I received my K20, my fiance has taken up manning the K10. Her favourite lens has been the VL90, she likes the sharp, close-focusing and small size. Seeing her type of shots, I recommended she try the Nokton for a while toward the wide end and see what happens. After about 20 minutes she comes back and says "Don't like it, can't get a sharp shot." So I look at her pictures to perhaps offer some advice and the first thing I see is this:

Nokton @ f2

It emphasized to me the Noktons unique personality. Sharp it can do, but its so strong in blur character it can overshadow its own sharpness and throws off a lot of photographic natural instinct.

The love/hate with this lens comes from either rolling with what it gives, just direct it and love what its actually doing under f2 and make the best you can with it, or stop it down to 2.8, where normal life begins. FWIW, the T*85 is a LOT like the Noktons big brother, for those that were interested in reaching out with their Nokton eye a little.
this is beautiful, I think the 58 just rose a couple more notches on my wish list. I really need to stop looking at your images
09-19-2008, 02:35 PM   #141
Damn Brit

My first baby steps with a 58

It was late last night but I had to just try it. Please don't flame me for the shots and as I'm not even a rank amateur with this lens, my assumptions. They served the purpose of displaying some of the capabilities of the lens.
The first one is an accident, I hadn't even programmed the camera yet, but I like the way it handled the blown highlight and the OOF books on the shelf as well as the colour.

The next two were outside last night after I had got the camera and the lens talking to each other. The light source was a solar powered garden LED and it was hard to focus in such low light. They showed me that the lens handles colour well even in low light.

The final 2 are taken in the middle of the day today. The way the lens handled the conditions combined with my impressions after taking the earlier shots lead me to the following early conclusions;

1- I am going to love this lens, thanks guys, your enthusiasm for Voigtlanders made me sit up and take notice and your images (esp James and Kelly) spoke for themselves.
2- It is going to be an extremely versatile lens.
3- It is the perfect lens for demonstrating that the guy on the other end of the camera is the weakest link in most cases. No matter what you do, the quality of the lens's contribution is constant.

Please tell me what you think.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 03-29-2010 at 07:34 PM.
09-19-2008, 02:36 PM   #142
Damn Brit

these next two are a crop of the last one and then a crop of that.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 03-29-2010 at 07:34 PM.
09-19-2008, 02:51 PM   #143
Veteran Member

Gary, yes. The rendition is rather sharp and clinical at f2.8 and above. Some razor sharp edges without photoshop.

The bokeh in the first shot is not so desirable given that it is harsh (but this lens produces better high light bokeh among its leagues.)

The shots in the middle requiring directional lighting works well with fantastic mood. The feeling of mysterious wonder is embeded within the shots.

A good lens and now you are in the league of voigtlander too
09-21-2008, 12:54 PM   #144
Inactive Account

lol, I like that garden bird deelie, quite artistic. I like the bokeh in the opened up version of it, but I prefer the exposure in the stopped down one. The subject and its environment seem like great subjects for creating bokeh.

I was walking around Prince's Island park here in Calgary last evening and the setting sun offered some nice light. One bad thing about having lenses that make nice bokeh is that each time I saw something I usually ended up shooting it at least twice as I swapped perspectives. I need a quick draw holster for these things...

Nokton @ 1.4

Yellow was at the cusp there, but I was too stubborn to back off 1.4, lol. Need 1/8000 on the next body
09-21-2008, 02:12 PM   #145
Veteran Member

This is going to be my birthday present to myself this year.
As if I needed any more justification

As the season changes and the weather makes it difficult to get out as often I am going to have to become more creative. I think this lens will help greatly in that respect.
09-21-2008, 02:21 PM   #146
Veteran Member

Nokton @ 1.4

Yellow was at the cusp there, but I was too stubborn to back off 1.4, lol. Need 1/8000 on the next body
So addictive, isn't it? Beautiful lens to bring along to anything that is potentially boring

That is so dreamy and the colour is so vibrant. Always a fan of floral shots from this lens.
09-21-2008, 02:43 PM   #147
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
This is going to be my birthday present to myself this year.
As if I needed any more justification

As the season changes and the weather makes it difficult to get out as often I am going to have to become more creative. I think this lens will help greatly in that respect.
Yes, that is what I do in spare time. No need to travel far. Just one nokton and the day could be fun with any subjects.
09-21-2008, 02:43 PM   #148
Veteran Member

f1.4

09-21-2008, 02:44 PM   #149
Veteran Member

09-21-2008, 02:45 PM   #150
Veteran Member

Another f1.4