Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2008, 06:40 AM   #226
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is this playing around enough?

I think I need to get used to the focusing distance though. I was trying to use this thing like a macro lens and getting to close in a bunch of my shots.

10-05-2008, 11:41 AM   #227
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ok boys and girls, I'm convinced...

Recently, I have discovered and new appreciation for 50mm focal length, and most importantly, the magic of 1.4 aperture, the inspiration was indeed this thread. I've kept my little Sears f1.4 on K100D body for entire month and enjoyed the results I was able to get out of it wide open, but...

After serious considerations, and inspirational photos from all of you in this thread (and may I add that I've looked at all of them over and over again), I will be placing an order for my very own Nokton tomorrow

How close does this lens actually focus?

Regards,
D
10-05-2008, 03:37 PM   #228
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Duh_Vinci Quote

SL-IISeries Lens
QuoteQuote:
Nearest Distance : 0.45m
10-05-2008, 06:30 PM   #229
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
Is this playing around enough?

I think I need to get used to the focusing distance though. I was trying to use this thing like a macro lens and getting to close in a bunch of my shots.
Yeah that'll do it, you have just that little touch of OOF foreground as well. The trick is to get just a fraction inside that close focussing distance.

Ok boys and girls, I'm convinced...

Recently, I have discovered and new appreciation for 50mm focal length, and most importantly, the magic of 1.4 aperture, the inspiration was indeed this thread. I've kept my little Sears f1.4 on K100D body for entire month and enjoyed the results I was able to get out of it wide open, but...

After serious considerations, and inspirational photos from all of you in this thread (and may I add that I've looked at all of them over and over again), I will be placing an order for my very own Nokton tomorrow

Regards,
D
.45m

It takes a bit of getting used to that close focusing distance, when you are actually taking shots, it doesn't seem that close at all.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 10-05-2008 at 06:52 PM.
10-05-2008, 06:41 PM   #230
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you for the answers! Close focusing is indeed what I would like to have from the lens!

Thanks all for making me spend the money

Regards,
D
10-06-2008, 05:16 PM   #231
Inactive Account

Thank you for the answers! Close focusing is indeed what I would like to have from the lens!

Thanks all for making me spend the money

Regards,
D
Not to send you to the poor house, but the all the Lanthars (90, 1:3.5; 125, 1:1; 180, 1:4) are close-focus lenses. The Nokton isn't really a close-focus (1:5.8) lens per-say, but between the wide aperture and slightly longer focal range, it seems to do bokeh in an extreme fashion regardless.

@ Oren, those shots are distinctive from many of the other examples in that you've actually stopped it down a bit and shown the IQ capabilities of the lens. I sometimes forget it can do that, lol.

K.
10-08-2008, 01:38 AM   #232
Inactive Account

I am picking up my Nokton 58mm at the Post Office today; no one was home yesterday when they tried to deliver. Hopefully I'll have a few minutes this afternoon to try a few shots. I feel like a kid on Christmas eve!
10-08-2008, 10:20 AM   #233
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I am picking up my Nokton 58mm at the Post Office today; no one was home yesterday when they tried to deliver. Hopefully I'll have a few minutes this afternoon to try a few shots. I feel like a kid on Christmas eve!
Its one of the great feelings in life. The best thing here is that this is an item that keeps that feeling after the initial excitment of taking possession wears down.

10-08-2008, 12:34 PM   #234
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Its one of the great feelings in life. The best thing here is that this is an item that keeps that feeling after the initial excitment of taking possession wears down.
True that. I need another body just so I don't get seperation anxiety(seriously) when I need to put a different lens on my camera for whatever reason.
It was Kelly and James's fault that I bought the lens (you Kelly especially, with your enthusiasm for the lens.) But it is definitely the lens's fault that I want to keep it on the camera full time. The really funny thing is, I didn't shoot much at that focal length, I had the FA50 1.4 but I used it mainly for the speed, not the FL.
10-08-2008, 06:14 PM   #235
Inactive Account

Well - it has arrived! I love the fit, finish and feel of the lens. It has the smoothest focus of any MF lens I have used. Ok, the 125mm Lanthar is in the same league, too; but this one obviously doesn't travel as far as the 125 Lanthar.

Since it is raining buckets outside I had to settle for a few quick snaps at the dining room table; it's my wife's Anthurium. (thanks Gary!)

This pic is just converted from RAW to .jpg and downsized for the net. Seriously sexy bokeh! I'll get some better shots with practice. I'll be leaving it on the K10D for a while now.

10-08-2008, 06:34 PM   #236
Inactive Account

Well - it has arrived! I love the fit, finish and feel of the lens. It has the smoothest focus of any MF lens I have used. Ok, the 125mm Lanthar is in the same league, too; but this one obviously doesn't travel as far as the 125 Lanthar.

Since it is raining buckets outside I had to settle for a few quick snaps at the dining room table; it's my wife's Anthurium. (thanks Gary!)

This pic is just converted from RAW to .jpg and downsized for the net. Seriously sexy bokeh! I'll get some better shots with practice. I'll be leaving it on the K10D for a while now.
w00t, nice one J.S. I think as more bokeh is recorded, the world becomes a better place - hopefully our little movement continues to grow

K.
10-08-2008, 06:39 PM   #237
Damn Brit

Wow Jeff, you Bokeh'd that right out of the park with your first hit. Nice one.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 10-09-2008 at 03:05 AM.
10-09-2008, 02:58 AM   #238
Inactive Account

Thanks for the comments. I just pointed it at the flower - the lens did it all!

I'll leave it on the camera for a while now. I am more comfortable with primes than tele-zooms anyway.

Gonna have some fun!
10-09-2008, 06:42 PM   #239
Pentaxian

Thanks roentarre, you showcased that lens really well. Now I have something to dream about...
10-09-2008, 07:11 PM   #240
Damn Brit

Jeff, there's a sweet spot in the focussing but you need a micrometer to measure it. I think with use you can begin to instinctively know where it is, just like with infinity, you have to dial it back just a fraction. This is all anecdotal, Kelly and James would be able to confirm this.
But wide open, tack sharp focus isn't the name of the game, it's the bokeh.