Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2008, 07:02 PM   #271
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey do you guys use the Voigt hood on this? It sucks it doesn't come with one. I was planning to use a cheap collapsible rubber lens hood on it that I can get locally.

10-20-2008, 07:23 PM   #272
Veteran Member

I have the Voigtlander hood. Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't bother...
10-20-2008, 09:38 PM   #273

Photos: Albums
Hi there! Thank you for posting these gorgeous pics. It seems that the most of shots taken here are closeups. I'm just wondering if there are any examples of lens rendering at longer focusing distances, portrait work or landscapes. Thanks!
10-20-2008, 09:38 PM   #274
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
Hey do you guys use the Voigt hood on this? It sucks it doesn't come with one. I was planning to use a cheap collapsible rubber lens hood on it that I can get locally.
I have the Voigtlander metal hood, it protects the lens, reduces CA and it will enhance future resale value.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 10-20-2008 at 10:59 PM.
10-20-2008, 11:03 PM   #275
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Serge Quote
Hi there! Thank you for posting these gorgeous pics. It seems that the most of shots taken here are closeups. I'm just wondering if there are any examples of lens rendering at longer focusing distances, portrait work or landscapes. Thanks!
I can whole heartedly offer my assurance that this lens is a lot more than it seems for 379. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir in here, but for those just wondering how a manual focus, mono-focal lens could be versatile, well, let me tell ya.

If your shooting landscapes - sharp as you can get helps - from 2.8 this lens is really sharp, and good color rendition too.

Here is a shot taken on a nature walk at the Emerald Lake resort in BC, Canada as the sun began to set. Shot handheld, 1/250, 5.6 with a polarizer attached to punch through the distant blues that happens in the mountains.

BIG crop, to really note the detail.

10-20-2008, 11:38 PM   #276
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
Unlike others, I chose not to buy the official Voigtlander $39 metal hood. I do like using one though, so I bought a rubber 58mm hood at Henry's for $8.95. It works fine. Maybe it's a decision I'll regret later but I'm ok with it at the moment.

This image isn't something you'd hang on the wall, but it does show off the lens's bokeh producing ability.

Last edited by J.Scott; 10-20-2008 at 11:47 PM.
10-21-2008, 12:05 AM   #277

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
If your shooting landscapes - sharp as you can get helps - from 2.8 this lens is really sharp, and good color rendition too.
Thanks Kelly, great landscape ! Is it possible that the shot you've taken is slightly OOF? Looks like there's no sparkling sharpness like what I see from FA35/FA50 stopped down shots (though taken with 6MPx ist*Ds) Actually I don't want just 'sparkling sharpness'. I'm wondering if it worth considering to prefer CV58 over the FA50. My primary point of interest is the OOF rendering at focusing distances of about 5-15 feet

10-21-2008, 04:44 AM   #278
Veteran Member

Serge, there are a few protrait shots on the first page that might show what your looking for.

I haven't had the chance to use it for portrait yet but looking forward to it.
10-21-2008, 09:14 AM   #279
Inactive Account

Thanks Kelly, great landscape ! Is it possible that the shot you've taken is slightly OOF? Looks like there's no sparkling sharpness like what I see from FA35/FA50 stopped down shots (though taken with 6MPx ist*Ds) Actually I don't want just 'sparkling sharpness'. I'm wondering if it worth considering to prefer CV58 over the FA50. My primary point of interest is the OOF rendering at focusing distances of about 5-15 feet
I mostly use the Nokton from 1-6 feet, wide open for its unique oof rendering, but I'm pretty sure I haven't missed infinity on this mountain scene, though of course its possible. tbh, I don't see much better sharpness from any of my lenses at 100% crops, of mountains at distance for sure anyways.

Might be if you're used to seeing something sharper that you use your tripod - I have a very good one, but its still rare I bother to carry it out. Also, using the C-Pol counts here both + and -, adding glass but reducing contrast stealing blue haze in the air - to a certain extent.
10-21-2008, 10:43 AM   #280
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Unlike others, I chose not to buy the official Voigtlander $39 metal hood. I do like using one though, so I bought a rubber 58mm hood at Henry's for $8.95. It works fine. Maybe it's a decision I'll regret later but I'm ok with it at the moment.

This image isn't something you'd hang on the wall, but it does show off the lens's bokeh producing ability.

I couldn't get myself to pay $39 for the hood! I'm getting a $15 collapsible rubber lens hood that covers a bit more (since I'm using it on an APS-C sensor anyway)
10-21-2008, 08:38 PM   #281
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I haven't posted one here for a bit. Here's a recent one;
Awesome shot!
10-21-2008, 09:03 PM   #282
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by superbass Quote
Awesome shot!

Thanks mate.
10-21-2008, 09:46 PM   #283
Veteran Member

I posted this before but hey! (taken indoors at f1.4)

10-21-2008, 10:58 PM   #284

...I'm pretty sure I haven't missed infinity on this mountain scene, though of course its possible. tbh, I don't see much better sharpness from any of my lenses at 100% crops, of mountains at distance for sure anyways.
It is very unlikely that such a high grade lens like CV58 couldn't match (not even say outperform) 95lppm K20D sensor. FA50 has almost 100lpmm stopped down (looking back to Yoshihiko Takinami test), FA35 & FA43Lim reach 100lpmm as well. Maybe the famous APO Lanthars (90 & 180mm) do better job here? You might have done some landscape shots with these two.
Might be if you're used to seeing something sharper that you use your tripod - I have a very good one, but its still rare I bother to carry it out. Also, using the C-Pol counts here both + and -, adding glass but reducing contrast stealing blue haze in the air - to a certain extent.
IMO, polarizer has nothing to do with resolution falloff (unless it's counterfeit)
10-21-2008, 11:12 PM   #285

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
Serge, there are a few protrait shots on the first page that might show what your looking for.
I haven't had the chance to use it for portrait yet but looking forward to it.
Thanks for pointing out! So I'll be looking forward to your portrait works
QuoteOriginally posted by lbam Quote
I posted this before but hey! (taken indoors at f1.4)
Thanks, lbam. Great portrait!