Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2008, 12:23 PM   #16
Veteran Member

At first, I thought the lens was really soft. But then they were a little out of focus so I was relief. Anyway, the bokeh in the background is indeed ugly (oval shape with highlighted edge). However, photozone did show that the bokeh improves greatly if you stop it down to f2.8. If you don't mind, i would like to see some of shots at this aperture.

02-09-2008, 12:39 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yea my Helios-44K-4 58mm f2 does that too. Most of the time the bokeh is alright to very gradual.

Throw in some sharp highlights in the background and those oval bokeh with bright halos show up...ugh..
02-10-2008, 04:09 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Few more sample shots

QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
At first, I thought the lens was really soft. But then they were a little out of focus so I was relief. Anyway, the bokeh in the background is indeed ugly (oval shape with highlighted edge). However, photozone did show that the bokeh improves greatly if you stop it down to f2.8. If you don't mind, i would like to see some of shots at this aperture.
I did a quick test in the backyard. The highlight bokeh are still harsh wide open at f1.4; at f2.8 the bokeh evolves into neutral type and smaller. However, this is again the weakness of most 50mm anyway

f1.4

f2.8

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Yea my Helios-44K-4 58mm f2 does that too. Most of the time the bokeh is alright to very gradual.

Throw in some sharp highlights in the background and those oval bokeh with bright halos show up...ugh..
Sean did the test of that lens and it performs too. (Now I wonder why I spent so much on this lens :P)

Some other test shots around the house. (Feeling sick today anyway)

All shot wide open at f1.4; The more I use it, the more I wanna use A 50 f1.2 ...

But it gives somewhat smoother feel to the image rendering comparing to A 50 f1.2 probably because voigtlander nokton is a little lower contrast perhaps ...

Backlighting. The jade horses still have the details and flare control is pretty good. Little Ca there

Excuse the dead flowers near by. The lens did pretty well with boke

The bokeh are smooth with warm directional lighting

Then the rest of the shots from the testing protraits yesterday.

Last edited by roentarre; 03-11-2008 at 04:30 AM.
02-10-2008, 04:16 PM   #19
Veteran Member

The last picture really convinces me to get this one. It gives me the feel I got from my FA* 85: her porcelain skin, the bit soften/flattering look on the subject and creamy blurr-out background. The tone is a bit on the cool side, which is similar to most Zeiss lenses.

02-10-2008, 09:07 PM   #20
Veteran Member

The blurr on skin could be potentially due to narrow depth of field though...
02-10-2008, 09:48 PM   #21
Veteran Member

It's no doubt due to the narrow DOF. However, it lacks the "uneeded" glow like in the 1st picture (in your case because of OOF and not inherent softness at wide aperture). I shot most of my portraits at large aperture; I just focus on the eyes, and fire the shutter. The results really please my subjects, especially women.

All in all, thank you for the samples.

By the way, I forgot to ask. Do you have any overexposure problem that many Nikon users are complaining about?
02-10-2008, 10:43 PM   #22
Veteran Member

No problems. Pleasure to show examples. (I like to shoot wide open too )

Most commonly underexposed with k10d. Needs to compensate at least +2/3 most of the time.
02-11-2008, 04:45 PM   #23

My Nokton arrived today....what a nice piece of equipment. Extremely well made. Nothing at all like any other current modern SLR lens other than the FA limited lenses I have recently bought that I am aware of. I would guess the Zeiss lenses are of similar quality too.

02-11-2008, 06:38 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I had a chance to play around Zeiss 50mm f1.4 and the appearance is similar to nokton 58mm.

The manual focus ring is so smooth and enjoyable to use. The metallic build is really something else. I am still in the processing of getting a proper good UV filter as a protection for the front element.

It looks small but weighs about 300 g or so. Appearance can be deceiving
03-11-2008, 04:32 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Some more Shots update

The bokeh of this lens is smoother and creamy. I love this lens a lot.

For scenery shot in the city on the weekend.

And a great snack

03-11-2008, 04:51 AM   #26
Veteran Member

One more bokeh

04-26-2008, 08:47 AM   #27
Site Supporter

I have mixed feelings about this lens - when I first tested it out on slide film, I got very disappointing results! The image was very soft when the lens was wide open, and worse still - the image suffered from very bad blurring, which did not seem to be due to off-focusing. Prints from the FA 50/1.4 were much much better wide open!

I thought I got a lemon then. However, I managed to get a DSLR to test the lens, and was surprised by the images I got. The sharpness was stunning at f2.8, and even at f1.4 - there was still a bit of softness (made more noticeable due to the narrow DOF) but nothing as bad as before. It was then I realised that the blurring was caused by camera shake - most surprising I didn't have the same problem with the FA 50/1.4 or even the FA 77 at similar shutter speeds. Plus, the pictures were taken in very bright lighting conditions!

I no longer have doubts about the sharpness of the lens, but I find that its a very unforgiving "artist" - ths slightest camera shake shows, and badly. On film, I think I would have to stick to 1/90 or above for the nokton 58mm, while for the FA 77 I could still go down to 1/30 and get a decent image!

Have anyone else noticed this about this lens?

Last edited by knyghtfall; 04-26-2008 at 09:54 AM.
04-26-2008, 09:36 AM   #28
Veteran Member

is it the heavier weight that's the problem?
04-26-2008, 09:58 AM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
is it the heavier weight that's the problem?
You may be right, given that it is a bigger lens than the 50 or the 77.. heh, it may very well be the simple answer to a simple problem.

Will try it out somemore before I come to a verdict. From my experience, it seems to me that the handling of the lens differs from the other SL lens. My rule of thumb for shutter speeds for hand held shots is 1/ (focal length) sec, which has served me well even for the VT 125, which is quite bulky. Quite surprising that this doesn't apply with the 58mm.

for instance, here's an indoors shot with the VT 125 at ard 1/120 s, and it turned out pretty well, even though I was worried about camera shake due to the relatively low shutter speed

Last edited by knyghtfall; 04-26-2008 at 10:17 AM.
04-26-2008, 10:19 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by knyghtfall Quote
You may be right, given that it is a bigger lens than the 50 or the 77.. heh, it may very well be the simple answer to a simple problem.

Will try it out somemore before I come to a verdict. From my experience, it seems to me that the handling of the lens differs from the other SL lens. My rule of thumb for shutter speeds for hand held shots is 1/ (focal length) sec, which has served me well even for the VT 125, which is quite bulky. Quite surprising that this doesn't apply with the 58mm.

for instance, here's an indoors shot with the VT 125 at ard 1/120 s, and it turned out pretty well, even though I was worried about camera shake due to the relatively low shutter speed
the nokton does seem to look like quite a chunky lens, maybe just need more practice