Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2008, 05:55 AM   #46
Veteran Member
roentarre's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 11,794
QuoteOriginally posted by Voe Quote
James, I knew this lens has a great bokeh but the shots you made are simply amazing!
The colours are so rich and true in the same time. Great work!
Thanks, Voe. You shall have some similar shots from the artist studio place. Show case a little?

06-01-2008, 02:32 AM   #47
Veteran Member
roentarre's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 11,794
06-01-2008, 02:32 AM   #48
Veteran Member
roentarre's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 11,794
06-01-2008, 02:33 AM   #49
Veteran Member
roentarre's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 11,794


06-01-2008, 02:34 AM   #50
Veteran Member
roentarre's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 11,794
06-01-2008, 05:05 PM   #51
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
James, these are great shots. I particularly like this one for the mood. Thumbs up.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
06-02-2008, 03:35 AM   #52
Veteran Member
roentarre's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 11,794
Thanks, Dennis. The lighting was right on the spot. Voe was there and I think he should have something to show off too with voigtlander 125mm macro

I am getting more fun from this lens. At many occasions, it gives more snappy and popping feeling to the images comparing to pentax fa ltd...
06-02-2008, 04:45 AM   #53
Voe
Veteran Member
Voe's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 708
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Thanks, Dennis. The lighting was right on the spot. Voe was there and I think he should have something to show off too with voigtlander 125mm macro
OK here there are some of the shots from the Voigtlander 125mm f/2.5 macro. No post processing of any kind. Please note that the weather by the time of shooting was dull and cloudy.














And this one is a 100% crop:



My opinion of the Voigtlander 125mm f/2.5 is that if there is a PERFECT macro lens in this or the next world, then this is it.

PERFECT in every single way.


Last edited by Voe; 06-02-2008 at 04:50 AM.
06-02-2008, 06:04 AM   #54
Site Supporter
ChrisPlatt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 4,430
Is the build quality of the CV SLR lenses as good as their RF lenses?
I'd love to have the CV SLII 40/2 pancake in PKA mount...

Chris
06-02-2008, 08:42 AM   #55
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 942
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Is the build quality of the CV SLR lenses as good as their RF lenses?
I'd love to have the CV SLII 40/2 pancake in PKA mount...

Chris
While I don't have the RF versions to compare, I can say that the SLR versions are sturdy all metal affairs with a comforting weight to them. The Nokton as an SLII also takes upon itself a deluxe rubberized layer over the focus ring which adds a subtle, additional joy to its use. I think as an SLII series also, the 40/2 probably shares this trait, I'm quite certin you'd be pleased with the build.
06-02-2008, 08:53 AM   #56
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 942
Great shots Voe, Roentarre; though perhaps Voe those VL125 shots should be in the Voigtlander LBA thread rather than then the Nokton thread

Earlier, I had mentioned perhaps letting go of this lens in favor of the close-focus Zeiss 50/2 but a foul up at the Camera Store led to the wrong lens coming in, thus no 50/2 for me. I had been preparing myself for a fair fight by shooting the 58 Nokton almost exclusively in anticipation of the challenge, and guess what? I have rarely taken it off my camera since.

What I have learned is that the Nokton 58 has in fact two different personalities. From f1.4-2, it is a soft, bokeh master giving painting like quality to life. Even in-focus areas 'suffer' from a soft diffusion effect. From f2.8 onward, the lens is reference quality sharp with a pleasant yet different bokeh to its wide open appearance. I'd rather missed the magic of the wide open side until some shots by yourself Roentarre, and a few A1.2 shots by Piotr with dramatic bokeh, made me test out the 58 as I hadn't before.

The results have led me to appreciate the 58 in a whole new light. I will be keeping this lens regardless of anything the Zeiss 50/2 may show me.


Nokton 58 @ f1.4 (where it will almost exclusively stay for me)
06-02-2008, 11:58 PM   #57
TKH
Veteran Member
TKH's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 371
Fantastic shot Kelly! Would like to see it blown up with an Epson large format printer in a nice frame on a wall.

Btw. Shame on me: I am so happy with my 58Nokton bokeh machine that I sold my FA43 1.9 yesterday (but I ordered a DA35 2.8 to be a good Pentaxian... ).

There is only one question I have for the Nokton. IMHO the focus ring could perhaps work a little more easier. Did you mention any changings while using the lense for a while? Will it "break in" a little?

Best,
Rainer
06-03-2008, 12:16 AM   #58
Veteran Member
roentarre's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 11,794
QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote

Earlier, I had mentioned perhaps letting go of this lens in favor of the close-focus Zeiss 50/2 but a foul up at the Camera Store led to the wrong lens coming in, thus no 50/2 for me. I had been preparing myself for a fair fight by shooting the 58 Nokton almost exclusively in anticipation of the challenge, and guess what? I have rarely taken it off my camera since.

What I have learned is that the Nokton 58 has in fact two different personalities. From f1.4-2, it is a soft, bokeh master giving painting like quality to life. Even in-focus areas 'suffer' from a soft diffusion effect. From f2.8 onward, the lens is reference quality sharp with a pleasant yet different bokeh to its wide open appearance. I'd rather missed the magic of the wide open side until some shots by yourself Roentarre, and a few A1.2 shots by Piotr with dramatic bokeh, made me test out the 58 as I hadn't before.

The results have led me to appreciate the 58 in a whole new light. I will be keeping this lens regardless of anything the Zeiss 50/2 may show me.


Nokton 58 @ f1.4 (where it will almost exclusively stay for me)

You summarised this lens very well. With pixel peeping, the difference is little comparing Nokton to a vast variety of 50s

However, the lenses do have the quality difference that could not be measured with certain designated variables.

You are definitely spot on with the soft diffusion effect between f1.4 and 2. It is not due to malfocusing or unsharp image quality. It just looks soft and dreamy to a degree. Rather unique.

I really enjoy this lens atm and it sort of competes with Fa 31 ltd as a walk around.

I enjoy the low contrast feel from Nokon where I get the flexibility to increase the contrast if I want to.

Your photograph explains it all!
06-03-2008, 01:27 AM   #59
Veteran Member
lbam's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 443
Just a quick question, Does the Nokton have the body controlled aperture "A" setting in the Pentax mount version?
06-03-2008, 02:39 AM   #60
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 942
QuoteOriginally posted by TKH Quote
...There is only one question I have for the Nokton. IMHO the focus ring could perhaps work a little more easier. Did you mention any changings while using the lense for a while? Will it "break in" a little?

Best,
Rainer
Thank-you for the kind words Rainer. I can't say that I felt the 58 was anything but perfect for my taste regarding manual focus. I haven't found any change since using it. FWIW, its not nearly as firm as the SL180. Thats a tight one!

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
...You are definitely spot on with the soft diffusion effect between f1.4 and 2. It is not due to malfocusing or unsharp image quality. It just looks soft and dreamy to a degree. Rather unique.

I really enjoy this lens atm and it sort of competes with Fa 31 ltd as a walk around...
No matter what comes along, the good old 31 always finds a way to remain important eh? Dang, I've tried to shake it loose and it always ends up in the bag. The 58 has its own special mojo though. I am definately all about the Nokton right now.

Can you suggest any stand-outs that have similar traits as the 58 wide open? I'm rather excited to eventually get the T*25 back. Between its odd twirly bokeh and close focus I'm looking forward to seeing how it complements the 58 in this 'life as a painting' style.

QuoteOriginally posted by lbam Quote
Just a quick question, Does the Nokton have the body controlled aperture "A" setting in the Pentax mount version?
Yes.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
58mm, f/1.4, k-mount, nokton, nokton 58mm f/1.4, pentax lens, slr lens, voigtlander, voigtlander nokton 58mm
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Voigtlander Nokton 58mm F1.4 SL II (US) kuau Sold Items 3 08-09-2010 07:46 PM
Lens review : Photo Voigtlander Nokton 58mm hcc Site Suggestions and Help 3 04-30-2010 05:20 PM
For Sale - Sold: Voigtlander Nokton SL 58mm f/1.4 Wheatfield Sold Items 6 07-20-2009 06:19 AM
Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f/1.4 images dave9t5 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 05-19-2009 09:09 AM
Volna-9 vs. Voigtlander Nokton 58mm Voe Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 9 08-20-2008 05:26 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:40 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top