Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2008, 01:21 AM   #121

Photos: Albums
bit late to this party but . . .

Only went digital earlier this year and this was my second lens purchase (after the 35mm Macro Limited). The 35 was my walkabout and portrait lens, but a tad short and light on bokeh. Initially tried the DA70 but it just didn't light my fire (bit long, bit slow, bit dull) so figured would give the Nokton a try. Thankfully the whole manual/trap focus thing seems to work a treat so AF is almost irrelevant

First impressions were interesting; a little slow to focus and a bugger to focus accurately wide open but nice crisp, cool colour and such a 'gentle' lens at wider apertures. Even though trap focus worked great with my K10 nearly all the f1.4 were rubbish, f1.7 was mostly ok, from f2 I was actually getting in focus what was wanted - in truth my kids were pretty mobile that day ! Not using this past f2.8 for people shots as the sweet spot for portrait use is most definitely f1.7/f2.4

This kind of pic was exactly what I got the Nokton for (JPEG straight out of the camera at f2.0), the 35 Macro has done plenty of good close in portraits with 'nice' bokeh at f2.8 but it is just too unforgiving of the odd skin blemish, whereas this is just the 'dreamy' look I was after

The only downside of the Nokton seems to be an edgy bokeh with certain backgrounds - as noted by others in this thread. Curiously the worse I have seen was with a harshly lit high contrast hedge that had lenticellular leaves. And there does seem to be a lot of lenticellular highlights toward the corners of the frame on occasion (all part of the nature of this type of lens design I understand). Linear elements seem much better

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
09-03-2008, 01:32 AM   #122
Veteran Member

Never too late to join the party

QuoteOriginally posted by LittleSkink Quote

First impressions were interesting; a little slow to focus and a bugger to focus accurately wide open but nice crisp, cool colour and such a 'gentle' lens at wider apertures. Even though trap focus worked great with my K10 nearly all the f1.4 were rubbish, f1.7 was mostly ok, from f2 I was actually getting in focus what was wanted - in truth my kids were pretty mobile that day ! Not using this past f2.8 for people shots as the sweet spot for portrait use is most definitely f1.7/f2.4
Seriously, I had done a protrait using this aperture f1.4 on a beautiful lady and her nose seemed to be choppsed off due to the narrow depth of field (Greek nose)

However, I still prefer f1.4 for the bokeh especially surrounding the subject. Then selective edge sharpening around the subject which is relatively easy to do in photoshop.

You are right about bokeh still being the best in quite a few situations

1. Highlight bokeh is just horrendous(better than other 50mm though)

2. The light reflected off porcetain were particularly noisy and harsh (worse than most 50mm)

3. Light reflected off metallic surface are often revealing imperfect circles...

However, Nokton probably produces best foreground bokeh and its soft dreamy look is exactly what most canon users hate the most.

So I would go for Nokton. Sharpness is not everything
09-03-2008, 02:49 PM   #123
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I read this whole thread - looked at all the pictures and then went straight to Stephen Gandy's site and dl'd the order form. I filled it in ordering the Nokton 58mm f1.4 but haven't sent it out yet. Damn - it looks like one fine lens but do I really need it? ARGGGGGGGGGH!
09-03-2008, 05:06 PM   #124
Inactive Account

lol - welcome to the club J! The little voices have good taste. Remember, its never a question of need. Pit it against other lenses near to it in range in your bag and sell the also rans, it'll make you feel better, lol.

When you do get it, be sure to give it some patience. Scientifically speaking, I don't know if there are variable curves to how dramatically the plane of focus is consumed by blur on a given lens, but it seems at 1.4 with the Nokton at times that its impossible to get a defined shot wide open... but it is possible. Its quite sharp as well (though as discussed thats not always the best feature of this lens at 1.4). It took me a couple of months of infrequent use of it to start to notice I had to adjust my diopter and then things improved. And improved. I'm sure you'll love it, if not sooner than later.

09-05-2008, 05:19 PM   #125
Voe
Veteran Member

I bought my new Voigtlander Nokton about a week ago and I really like this lens.

OK, in taking this shot I cheated using an extension tube attached to my Nokton

Last edited by Voe; 09-05-2008 at 06:43 PM.
09-05-2008, 08:52 PM   #126
Veteran Member

Voe, wow is all I can say. A new addict to bokeh for sure. You truely apply the bokeh to image creation. Sooooo artistic. I really love it. Now I wanna have mine back :P
09-05-2008, 09:17 PM   #127
Voe
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Voe, wow is all I can say. A new addict to bokeh for sure. You truely apply the bokeh to image creation. Sooooo artistic. I really love it. Now I wanna have mine back :P
Thanks James The more I use this lens the more I like it
I will bring your precious Voigtlander Nokton tomorrow.

09-12-2008, 08:05 PM   #128
Forum Member

Pics with Nokton

I got the Nokton at the end of the summer. I use it with my K10D and I like this lens a lot. I really enjoy the manual focus of this lens. My 77/1.8 has been used much less since I have the Nokton ! And I'll soon put my FA 50/1.4 for sale...

Here are some pics I took:

f1.4:

f/2:

f/11:
09-12-2008, 09:10 PM   #129
Inactive Account

David, some great shots in there - good to see more folks getting the best out of the Nokton. Hopefully that Bokeh keeps seeping into the Pentax psyche - FWIW, I think its a great body/lens match with the in-body SR.
09-12-2008, 11:44 PM   #130
Damn Brit

Kelly you and James are bastards. I've just read through this thread and the other one and viewed the pictures. Tomorrow or Monday I will be placing an order for the Nokton and maybe, the Ultron, I have to think about that.
Did I mention you were both bastards? Well tonight and tonight only, bastard is a compliment.
Thanks Guys................I mean it, thanks.
09-13-2008, 05:27 AM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I read this whole thread - looked at all the pictures and then went straight to Stephen Gandy's site and dl'd the order form. I filled it in ordering the Nokton 58mm f1.4 but haven't sent it out yet. Damn - it looks like one fine lens but do I really need it? ARGGGGGGGGGH!
When you get bored and cannot bother to drive a few hours to a location, this is the lens to bring alone. Best used in any parks or gardens, just play with the depth of field.

This lens has been a good company for a casual walk etc. You will not need it but it is a great companion.
09-13-2008, 05:30 AM   #132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
David, some great shots in there - good to see more folks getting the best out of the Nokton. Hopefully that Bokeh keeps seeping into the Pentax psyche - FWIW, I think its a great body/lens match with the in-body SR.
I totally aggree.

However, k20d would have a better colour profile in the bokeh department. A frustration I had with k10d before.

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Kelly you and James are bastards. I've just read through this thread and the other one and viewed the pictures. Tomorrow or Monday I will be placing an order for the Nokton and maybe, the Ultron, I have to think about that.
Did I mention you were both bastards? Well tonight and tonight only, bastard is a compliment.
Thanks Guys................I mean it, thanks.
Bokeh is truely addictive and I am sure you will utilise the lens very well.

I would love to know what you would come up with this lens.

Here is another shot from today

09-13-2008, 05:30 AM   #133
Veteran Member

09-13-2008, 08:04 AM   #134
Inactive Account

edit: Wanted to say James, those are classic Nokton Paintings - you're last two shots. I almost just accepted them as normal these days forgetting they were so... Nokton! heh. Makes me think a high quality glossy page book of Nokton Paintings could be a really nice thing... anyone got any publishing connections?

After I received my K20, my fiance has taken up manning the K10. Her favourite lens has been the VL90, she likes the sharp, close-focusing and small size. Seeing her type of shots, I recommended she try the Nokton for a while toward the wide end and see what happens. After about 20 minutes she comes back and says "Don't like it, can't get a sharp shot." So I look at her pictures to perhaps offer some advice and the first thing I see is this:

Nokton @ f2

It emphasized to me the Noktons unique personality. Sharp it can do, but its so strong in blur character it can overshadow its own sharpness and throws off a lot of photographic natural instinct.

The love/hate with this lens comes from either rolling with what it gives, just direct it and love what its actually doing under f2 and make the best you can with it, or stop it down to 2.8, where normal life begins. FWIW, the T*85 is a LOT like the Noktons big brother, for those that were interested in reaching out with their Nokton eye a little.

Last edited by thePiRaTE!!; 09-13-2008 at 08:14 AM.
09-13-2008, 08:15 AM   #135
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I love narrow dof in general, but in this thread, you guys have shown me another side of bokeh. Stunning photos everyone!

Terrific lens with terrific possibilities in the right hands! Thank you all for sharing your photos!

Regards,
D