Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2008, 03:05 AM   #316
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Just curious, how would you compare the Pentax 50 f1.4 AF to the 58?

Thanks

Ben
Ben, although I haven't tried any comparisons yet photographically, but I would say that they feel totally different to each other.
Only comparison I can come up with off the top of my head is; The FA 50 is like a BMW, light handling, gets you there quickly but mass produced. The Nokton is like a Rolls Royce, heavy but smooth and a joy to handle, it has a strong feeling of quality and workmanship.
Just comparing how the front elements looks was quite a surprise a well. The glass is so beautiful to look at. My wife said "wow" when she saw it.
Hope that partly answers your question.
The 50 has it's own thread as well, why don't you compare some shots that way.
I will say that the 50 is indispensable from the point of view of having autofocus which can get you out of a jam on occasion.

11-09-2008, 03:10 AM   #317
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I used Nokton on Olympus E520 today. Wow, the bokeh is equally beautiful and it is a very light set up! I had fun with the lens on the light body.

I cannot wait for k2000d any more...
How do you do that James, I wasn't aware they made it for Oly?
11-09-2008, 03:12 AM   #318
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Ben, although I haven't tried any comparisons yet photographically, but I would say that they feel totally different to each other.
Only comparison I can come up with off the top of my head is; The FA 50 is like a BMW, light handling, gets you there quickly but mass produced. The Nokton is like a Rolls Royce, heavy but smooth and a joy to handle, it has a strong feeling of quality and workmanship.
Just comparing how the front elements looks was quite a surprise a well. The glass is so beautiful to look at. My wife said "wow" when she saw it.
Hope that partly answers your question.
The 50 has it's own thread as well, why don't you compare some shots that way.
I will say that the 50 is indispensable from the point of view of having autofocus which can get you out of a jam on occasion.
I understand that the craftsmanship and aesthetics are nicer on the 58, I totally agree. What about the rendition, sharpness, contrast comparisons?

Thanks for your input, appreciated.

Best Wishes
Ben
11-09-2008, 03:13 AM   #319
Pentaxian

Oh, that's no comparison. The FA 50 f/1.4 has AF, so it's not for people into optical quality.

Sorry! Couldn't let that one pass.
Peace, Roentarre, OK?

P.S.: Got a lens with f/1.8 today. While I partly used MF because it was easier, the AF often was very handy and gave great results.

11-09-2008, 03:33 AM   #320
Damn Brit

I understand that the craftsmanship and aesthetics are nicer on the 58, I totally agree. What about the rendition, sharpness, contrast comparisons?

Thanks for your input, appreciated.

Best Wishes
Ben
Like I said Ben I haven't done any side by side comparisons but a check through the two threads should be some help for that. In fact I've just noticed you started the thread for the FA 50.

If I get some time tomorrow I'll see if I can find some subjects to do a side by side comparison. Are you looking for anything in particular or just what the differences are?
I would say that the Nokton seems to produce more vibrant colours whereas I think the 50 is more restrained and natural looking.
Bokeh is much smoother and creamier on the Nokton as well.
11-09-2008, 03:37 AM   #321
Veteran Member

Like I said Ben I haven't done any side by side comparisons but a check through the two threads should be some help for that. In fact I've just noticed you started the thread for the FA 50.

If I get some time tomorrow I'll see if I can find some subjects to do a side by side comparison. Are you looking for anything in particular or just what the differences are?
I would say that the Nokton seems to produce more vibrant colours whereas I think the 50 is more restrained and natural looking.
Thanks for your input, greatly appreciated.

Ben
11-09-2008, 04:45 AM   #322
Veteran Member

Thanks

Ben
Hi Ben. Your curiosity is what made you today

As you know, any so called scientific comparison between Fa 50 and 58mm is not going to be perfect from a clumpsy person like me.

Here is my gut feeling about the two lenses ( I had been using Joel's Fa 50 for about 2 years or so before he was convinced by me to sell it waiting for Da* 55 f1.4)

Below f2.8

Nokton can be sharp but the manual focusing can be quite tricky given that the depth of field at f1.4 on Nokton is probably thinner than Fa 50 f1.4/A 50 f1.4; This is a conclusion from my repeated use of Nokton for some months on the daily basis in the hospital. The contrast is low and of cooler tone - a kind of pale anaemic kind of look which is great to use soft layer technique you had disclosed late last year. Nokton takes up tungstun lighting a lot better in terms of the hue and brown colouring that are easily removed in colour channels.

Bokeh is what really makes me keeping this lens. The rule of thumb that I learnt from Jonas B is

The sharper the lens, the worse the bokeh

The background bokeh is in deed pleasant with leaves, branches, any colours or plastic surfaces. But nokton is still not capable of taking up metallic or white surfaces too well.

The spetacular highlights are often imperfect circles with extremely harsh edges (still better than Fa 50)

My problem with Fa 50 f1.4 is its propensity to purple Ca, bokeh Ca, clipping corners and hunting autofocus. This is after trying out two brand new copies from CRK since Joel has connections to the Australian pentax supplier.

It was a cheap lens back then and I would not mind to live with these problems. But the current market price is probably a little too much for these qualities. Of course, I am just an amateur photographer and this is just a view from a hobbist's perspective.

Above f2.8

I can say Nokton is just way too sharp. Most of time, f4 can print A3 sizes with razor sharp edges. The lens really shines. It is probably as sharp as Da 40mm f2.8 (Voe has this lens and this is why it is great to have a pentax community in where I live)

There is something sparkling when nokton is used at f4 - 5.6

I point to the ocean and it often gives that jingling feel. Colour is rather sleek.

Hope that helps

11-09-2008, 04:50 AM   #323
Veteran Member

How do you do that James, I wasn't aware they made it for Oly?
I got an pentax mount adaptor for olympus body.

Seriously, really light set up and I know why godfrey loves this combo now.
11-09-2008, 07:45 AM   #324
Veteran Member

Hi Ben, my humble observation: the 58 has this really weird and lovely blur/bokeh at f/2 and below that i just LOVE. it's so hard to explain, it's like someone smudged the photo a bit in some places, that gives it a weird and lovely and even magical look (for me).

hmm i hope that made sense.

The specular highlights have that harsh edges below f/2 but I just happen to love it. I just like it because it's different. And because I'm weird

The 50/1.4 acted like a great but normal 50 haha.
11-09-2008, 10:54 AM   #325
Veteran Member

Here's one I took sans the model last weekend...

iso 200 f2.0...

Some contrast, vibrance, and vignetting added for effect...

I'll add some model shot's in a week or so..
11-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #326
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lbam Quote
Very nice. I like the colours and the use of focus.

Looking forward to seeing these!
11-09-2008, 03:07 PM   #327
Veteran Member

iso 200 f2.0...

Some contrast, vibrance, and vignetting added for effect...

Some legs draped over that chair is required for a full test of the lens. We'll await your results.

11-09-2008, 04:58 PM   #328
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Some legs draped over that chair is required for a full test of the lens. We'll await your results.

You got it Boss!
11-09-2008, 11:23 PM   #329
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I got an pentax mount adaptor for olympus body.

Seriously, really light set up and I know why godfrey loves this combo now.
Be sure to tell us how it compares to the K-m when you get one.

On topic, I think I'll be getting this lens one of these days. Dare I tell everyone tho, because I have an extra 1.7x AF TC and I personally love matching that with old fast 50s? Problem is tho with this lens starting @ 58mm, it gives me close to 100mm. If I then consider the performance I'll get from the lens + TC vs. say a FA 100/2.8 Macro, it's not that 'smart' a decision.

Last edited by m8o; 11-09-2008 at 11:28 PM.
11-10-2008, 04:06 AM   #330
Damn Brit

Nothing special but these two shots demonstrate that the Nokton can get the 'bigger picture' as well.
They also show some of the homes that have been built since the Oakland Hills Fire of 1991 when over three thousand homes were destroyed.
Wikipedia link here if you're interested; Oakland Firestorm of 1991 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This first one shows some of the funky homes that have been built;

This second shot shows some of the cookie cutters that have been built. The fire started just to the left of this shot;