Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2008, 04:52 PM   #1

Voigtlander Nokton 58mm F/1.4 Review!

hey all

photozone.de tested voigtlander nokton 58mm f/1.4 today.... here are the results...

Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f/1.4 SL II - Test Report / Review

Enjoy..

01-22-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
and
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Finally! There has been no new reviews all year! I dont like the new layout over there though... I prefered to have the whole review in one long page and not have to click through it... anyway, I am off to read this.

hmmm a bit disappointing... was hoping this one would kick butt. underexposure problems too...
01-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photozone's Voigtlander Nokton 58/1.4 Review

It's now available.

Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f/1.4 SL II - Test Report / Review

The review is quite favorable.
01-23-2008, 02:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting the review up. Very rewarding in deed.

However, the corner sharpness is surprisingly appauling from the MTF chart.

Otherwise, this is going to compete for a walk around comparing to my a 50 f1.2

James

01-23-2008, 02:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the note!

To me this looks very good.
No noteworthy problems.
01-23-2008, 04:32 AM   #6
Inactive Account

It seems an interesting and affordable option to the FA 50 f1.4 with better central resolution at the wider apertures and maybe better contrast. However, like many fast lenses with low CA, the edge performance suffers noticeably at the wider apertures.

It seems that in order to preserve high resolution across the frame, CA is an associated side effect. I know it's not universally true, but it seems to be a common feature.

Personally I'd prefer to have greater across the frame resolution at the expense of higher CA, which at least you can correct in post processing, you cannot recover resolution.

It will be very interesting to see how well the DA* 55 f1.4 performs, I know many have high hopes for this lens!
01-23-2008, 05:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Day Quote
It will be very interesting to see how well the DA* 55 f1.4 performs, I know many have high hopes for this lens!
Yes.
The DA*55 must be a real hit, otherwise it will not sell well.
Almost all users have at least one 50 mm lens already and all of these are already very good.

My hope is that the AF performance of the DA55 in combination with a dedicated body is really excellent, from f1.4 on.
01-23-2008, 08:10 AM   #8

can we merge this thread with this one?

01-24-2008, 01:54 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Finally! There has been no new reviews all year! I dont like the new layout over there though... I prefered to have the whole review in one long page and not have to click through it... anyway, I am off to read this.

hmmm a bit disappointing... was hoping this one would kick butt. underexposure problems too...
I suspect how the chip for Nikon performs vs Pentax will be different, in relation to the underexposure problem. Cosina/Voigtlander have had the 'A' all along for Pentax, whereas the chipping for Nikon is a new thing... might be why its not perfect in that regard for the Nikon. Just a guess, but I'm confident.

I was also initially a bit underwhelmed by the wide open edge performance, but using his same tests, it performs as well as the Zeiss and significantly better than the Pentax 50/1.4 and I've enjoyed that lens.

All in all, I guess I have reassured myself that this lens is going to be great for the KA, if it ever comes out...
01-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Yes.
The DA*55 must be a real hit, otherwise it will not sell well.
Almost all users have at least one 50 mm lens already and all of these are already very good.

My hope is that the AF performance of the DA55 in combination with a dedicated body is really excellent, from f1.4 on.
Indeed!

We can deduce the following already

Quiet focussing - Yes
Fast focussing - ? (hopefully)
Weather sealed - Yes
Wide open performance centre - probably yes
Wide open performance edges - ?
Higher contrast than FA 50 - I would think so, all DA lenses have been good on contrast.
CA - ? May depend on edge performance (but correctable in PP, even with JPEG's)
Price - probably quite high because of * badge.
02-08-2008, 04:30 AM   #11

Voigtlander SLII 58/1.4 Nokton

I just noticed on the Cameraquest site that the PKA Nokton is now in stock. Has anyone received this lens yet? I am guessing the pre-orders will start arriving to us shortly.
02-08-2008, 05:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I just got my nokton 58mm and ultron 40mm today

Will go for a test series tomorrow with these two gems. They are small and compact, fully made of metals. The image rendering appears a bit cool with blue hue. Somehow it does have that "simple" and "chill" effect to the images.

Besides that, it is sooooooo sharp wide open. However, contrary to what Jonas had believed, the bokeh can be harsh with metalic surface (all of my fast primes show that from time to time.)

Bokeh of 58mm is not as great as voigtlander 125mm macro but it is amazing enough. Not as good as A 50 f1.2 though
02-08-2008, 06:00 AM   #13

QuoteQuote:
Not as good as A 50 f1.2 though
That is $600 I am trying to aviod spending.
02-09-2008, 05:17 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rover Quote
That is $600 I am trying to aviod spending.
Buying lenses do bleed

I had a test run with this lens today. The main problem was most of my shots were thought in focus. Then I discovered they were not after bringing it up on computer screen.

The travel of manual focus is rather long. When I thought it was in focus, the ring goes about 2/3 of circumference of the lens in order to get some sort of blurr through view finder. Well, katz eye is a definite for this prime.

Again, the modern lenses are all to sharp for protraits. The skin tone appears rather nice. I "did not" need to alter contrast or colour for the casual protraits.

The bokeh are quite nice, smooth and creamy most of the time. Unfortunately, highlight bokeh are still harsh and metallic surfaces are rendered poorly in this prime.

From this shot, you can see how ugly the bokeh are on the right side of the photo. Not even neutral (this is after adjustment via Ca reduction in photoshop!)

This shot reveals the fusiform shaped bokeh from reflection off the tea pot in the background - not so nice either. But one thing I am sure is the beauty of foreground being nice and smooth

This shot is not really in focus but the background blurr is similar to voigtlander 125mm macro - so gradual and smooth transition.

Though not yet tested with charts or brick walls etc, it is definitely a lens that has its place in the 50mm variety. Colour are astounding from this lens

If I have time to do more test shots, I would post some more examples
02-09-2008, 06:35 AM   #15

Looking forward to seeing more. Mine didn't come yesterday.... today is Saturday, the wife is home, so surely the gods will make it show up today when it can't quietly slip onto my camera or into my bag.