Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Anybody who answers this is full of BS, what ever they answer.

the fact is, the questions you ask are more about your personal preference relitive to the lens weight and your technique, as well as the intended shutter speed

I routinely hand hold many lens combinations that are in the 400-500mm range, with a weight of upwards of 1.6 kilos, at shutter speeds below 1/160.

For me the 60-250 would be a snap even at 250mm and probably down to about 1/30 on a good day. and easily at 1/60 to 1/90 any day.

BUT THAT'S ME what you can do, will be different.
that's funny... You call everyone's answer BS and then basically give the same "BS" response everyone gave. Makes me think BS is a compliment from you.

06-18-2012, 10:16 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Anybody who answers this is full of BS, what ever they answer.
And yet you answered...

Now, now, let's be pleasant around here. Everyone who has answered politely has done me a valuable service and provided exactly the kind of perspective I'm looking for. Someone saying they came from Canon or from full-frame or whatever is a helpful and objective reference point for me. I am a grown up and can sift through their answers, determine what's relevant, and draw my own conclusions. It's an, um, forum?
06-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #18
Veteran Member

This thread should best be answered by actual DA* 60-250 owners with sample photos listing exif info such as shutter speed and aperture. While everyone will have a different threshold to handhold and get sharp, shake free images, photos will provide accurate proof of what those limits are.
06-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #19
Pentaxian

"Hand-holdable" to me means I can use it shooting a sporting event for an hour without it becoming uncomfortably heavy. It doesn't matter if I can handhold for 5 minutes getting good shots, if my arm is burning/shaking after that then it isn't handholdable IMHO. I owned a Sigma 100-300/4 once very vey briefly and that lens was just no where near hand-holdable for me.

06-18-2012, 11:24 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please gents, be polite.

Regarding handholdable,
The K5 is the best body I ever use in term of SR and high iso performance, but I have no experience from newer bodies nor other brands.
Yes the combo is handholdable, but also depends on how long and how far I have to walk with the combo. I am ok with few hrs, but prefer a tri/monopod for longer period of time.

Using Tamron 500mm with tc 2x on Pentax k5, SR on, iso6400, 1/2000s, macro at distance 350cm, hand-held - I can't tell you enough how good the K5 is in this case, you need to experience yourself:
06-18-2012, 11:42 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Why is there, a halo around the flower?
06-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Why is there, a halo around the flower?
It's another flower behind
06-19-2012, 03:18 AM   #23
Inactive Account

I think its quite easy to hand hold even without a grip. Here is a hand held photo at 250mm:

What could go wrong? | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I use a tripod too, but for longer periods of shooting or when longer exposures are required, e.g a recent one in low light:

Waterlitz 5 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I think as long as you can give your arm occasional relief (a few seconds here and there) you can go for a decent length of time without a tripod.

A

06-19-2012, 03:54 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr_Canuck Quote
And yet you answered...

Now, now, let's be pleasant around here. Everyone who has answered politely has done me a valuable service and provided exactly the kind of perspective I'm looking for. Someone saying they came from Canon or from full-frame or whatever is a helpful and objective reference point for me. I am a grown up and can sift through their answers, determine what's relevant, and draw my own conclusions. It's an, um, forum?
Ok

I will appologize here if anyone took offence to my original post, however the point remains.

The K5 plus this lens will be upwards of 4 pounds.It can, for some, in fact many have complained over the past about lenses that are this weight or slightly lighter as being too heavy. Others have highlighted lack of tripod mount on lenses of this weight as a negitive point, etc. etc,

Hand holdable is a very very individual question, which without a lot more information about what you are comfortable with in terms of weight etc, cannot be answered, yet there are some who answered yes with no real qualification etc. No one can answer for you, they can only give their experiences. Those who came back and just said yess are the ones specifically that I was intending to address.
06-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #25
Inactive Account

The Canon Gear I was refering to was a 40d with the 70-200 f2.8L non IS. I shot with the combo for years and also the 40d with 300 f4L IS. the 60-250 is lighter and slightly smaller than both of those lenses when it is not zoomed out (it gets longer than those when it is zoomed out to 250 with the hood on) and the K-5 is a good amount smaller than the 40D although not substantialy lighter. I hand held the 40d 300L combo for a Ski racing event which gives you plenty of time between athletes to lower your camera (probably 2 hours of shooting) so really no problem there at all, If it were more continous action (hockey or soccer) you my indeed get tired and want to have a monopod with you. As for carrying it around in the woods and lifting it for the occasional shot - I would think a majority of people could do that. So anyway I love the lens and K-5 combo - it is really a sharp lens, every bit as sharp as the canon 70-200 2.8, and a lot of people believe that to be one of canons sharpest lenses.

Last edited by Williunck; 06-19-2012 at 10:21 AM.
06-19-2012, 12:23 PM   #26
Pentaxian

The matter of preference goes to more than weight, too... I think others pointed out, but I'll add that the physical dimensions of a lens and the body combined make a difference. When I upgraded from a K10d to the K5, I found that some combos that I was quite comfortable with on the K10d became no longer comfortable with the K5... not because of weight (that wouldn't make sense) but because the ergonomics of the K5 made it a little more challenging/awkward. I've since gotten the battery grip for the K5, and I am now surprised at how much more hand-holdable all my lenses are. Couple that with the high-iso capability that allows faster shutter speeds than I was able to get away with.

All this of course is a matter of your hands. I'm big handed so the battery grip, despite its weight, is a blessing. I'm also a bit on the shaky handed side even with light lenses, but the battery grip also seemed to help me get an extra stop on the slow end with regard to shutter speeds. Unfortunately, I can't say much with regard to the 60-250. I do have one lens that weighs similarly, but it is not sized similarly.
06-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
th.

All this of course is a matter of your hands. I'm big handed so the battery grip, despite its weight, is a blessing. I'm also a bit on the shaky handed side even with light lenses, but the battery grip also seemed to help me get an extra stop on the slow end with regard to shutter speeds. .
this is actually a good point sometimes the heavier camera is easier to hold steady
06-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #28
Pentaxian

With all but the smallest lenses (think DA Limiteds),
I like to support the base of the lens with my left hand
while holding the right hand side of the camera with my right hand.
This is both for viewfinder and live view use.
06-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr_Canuck Quote
For those who own the DA* 60-250 SDM /f4, particularly with the K5 body..........

Is it hand-holdable, or too heavy for that?
Or when do you find it necessary to get into a monopod or tripod with it?
I have the 60-250mm on a K-5 with grip, and used it recently at an airshow for about 3 1/2 hrs without sitting down or putting the camera down. I also had a point-and-shoot camera mounted to the hot shoe so I could record HD video while taking pics. I do not use either a monopod or tripod for such events because they are a hindrance and also because I feel there is no need for them.

This setup was slightly cumbersome because my hat kept getting in the way when putting the K-5 to my eye. When recording video for more than about 90 seconds my arms and shoulders would tell me to rest them. It's a chunk of weight. Now, I will be the first to admit that I am not in good shape physically and over the last eight months have had to rest a lot because of other issues. So let's presume I am slightly weaker than I should be.

To sum up, I was able to push through the afternoon and was really glad to put it all down at the end. It was my first major photography session in the last eight months though and my fatigue was a struggle.

I will say that it was extremely *comfortable* to hold, so no issues there.

You should have no issues hand-holding this combination. Just don't hold it in a ready-to-shoot position for hours at a time.
06-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kcmadr Quote
... I also had a point-and-shoot camera mounted to the hot shoe so I could record HD video while taking pics...
I have not heard of that before. How does one do that?