Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
Mr_Canuck

Is the DA*60-250mm hand-holdable?

For those who own the DA* 60-250 SDM /f4, particularly with the K5 body..........

Is it hand-holdable, or too heavy for that?
Or when do you find it necessary to get into a monopod or tripod with it?

06-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i handhold...have never used a tri or monopod and pictures are excellent...i shouldn't think you would have any problems but i also have the bigma so might take a little getting used to
06-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I would say it depends on how comfortable you are with a heavy camera. the lens weighs just over 2 pounds, not really all that much. between SR and normal daylight shutter speeds i think it should be fine. Of course the sharpest results will still come from a tripod
I don't own this combo, but i have shot heavier non sr bodies hand held without major issue
stick 1/1.5xfl for minimum shutter speed for acceptable results . multiply that by 3 for sharp results (so at the long end this lens should be 1/1000 sec for sharp shots - SR will likely allow half that)
My 24-70 2.8 weighs about a pound less and i have shot it with the k7 and grip as slow as 1/30 but get best results at higher shutter speeds (ie 1/200 or more)
My ETRSI Medium format with grip,prism,back and 150 lens weighs around 3.5 pounds and i shoot it hand held but try and keep the shutter @ 1/250 to 1/500 when doing so - though i have shot it hand held with acceptable results as slow as 1/60
06-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I've hand held the tamron adaptall 2 300mm f2.8, the A*600mm f5.6 with some success so without ever having held the 60-250mm I'm going to say yes. I cant imagine a lens capable of 60mm that you would NEED a monopod or a tripod for, using one may improve the images but it should not be required.
The longer the focal length gets the more the use of a mono/tripod is going to improve your shots, but any shot is going to be improved by more stability.

06-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I handhold my Lil'Bigma DG 170-500, which weighs nearly 3 pounds -- total weight with my K20D is nearly 4.5 pounds. But I don't handhold it for extended durations. My large but old hands hurt before long.
06-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hand held relatively easily depending on subject may have to bump shutter a bit but as mentioned it's all what you are comfortable with. Would be uncomfortable carrying around your neck all day but certainly can be hand held.
06-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
Mr_Canuck

Thanks for the perspectives. I've not had this size of lens on Pentax but with my Sony I had a few hefty Minolta lenses just not quite this heavy. And I have no experience with a 80-200/2.8, but I really like that the 60-250 is lighter than those by a stretch.

06-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Coming from canon gear, the K-5 and 60-250 are a dream to handhold, light and manageble.
06-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Agree with all the above, easily handheld, just remove the tripod mount(super easy to do) and no worries. I have it in my bag everywhere I go
06-18-2012, 01:27 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr_Canuck Quote
For those who own the DA* 60-250 SDM /f4, particularly with the K5 body..........

Is it hand-holdable, or too heavy for that?
Or when do you find it necessary to get into a monopod or tripod with it?
Anybody who answers this is full of BS, what ever they answer.

the fact is, the questions you ask are more about your personal preference relitive to the lens weight and your technique, as well as the intended shutter speed

I routinely hand hold many lens combinations that are in the 400-500mm range, with a weight of upwards of 1.6 kilos, at shutter speeds below 1/160.

For me the 60-250 would be a snap even at 250mm and probably down to about 1/30 on a good day. and easily at 1/60 to 1/90 any day.

BUT THAT'S ME what you can do, will be different.
06-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
People answering a question based on their experience does not make them full of BS. My quote saying "Coming from canon gear, the K-5 and 60-250 are a dream to handhold, light and manageble." is not a BS answer, it is an honest one based on my experience and that is basicly what this person is asking, for others peoples experience with the 60-250.
06-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Williunck Quote
People answering a question based on their experience does not make them full of BS. My quote saying "Coming from canon gear, the K-5 and 60-250 are a dream to handhold, light and manageble." is not a BS answer, it is an honest one based on my experience and that is basicly what this person is asking, for others peoples experience with the 60-250.
But your response is relative to your experience. There are people here who , for what ever reason consir even the light weight of Pentax gear too heavy.

I am not one of them, obviously from my response, but if you don't know the other peRson and their technique you simply cannot answer yes, or no, related to them,

That is the point I was making. If, for example someone wants to use it like a P&S and hold it at arms length with the lens set to 250mm and shoot at 1/10 of a second, they will come back at you and say your wrong, it is not.

I make no presumption of how or what the OP wants to do with the camera and lens, but without knowing that, all you can say is I have no problem,
06-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #13
Inactive Account

but without knowing that, all you can say is I have no problem,
Not much different than how I phrased it, and even if all I said was "yes" it doesn't make me full of BS in terms of my personal experience.
I make no presumption of how or what the OP wants to do with the camera and lens
Thats fine, but you are saying everyone that answered based on their experience is full of BS, which is a presumption in itself.

Besides, Canucks are used to swinging hockey sticks and getting in fights, I assumed by his name he was strong enough to handhold it.
Anyway - I handhold the lens in a number of situations and IMO it works well.

Last edited by Williunck; 06-18-2012 at 02:47 PM.
06-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
Agree with all the above, easily handheld, just remove the tripod mount(super easy to do) and no worries. I have it in my bag everywhere I go

Just to add how we all are different with a subject like this - I prefer leaving the tripod on with my 60-250 as it makes a perfect palm rest. I will agree with the concensus here that it is no problem hand holding.
06-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

the fact is, the questions you ask are more about your personal preference relitive to the lens weight and your technique, as well as the intended shutter speed

I routinely hand hold many lens combinations that are in the 400-500mm range, with a weight of upwards of 1.6 kilos, at shutter speeds below 1/160.

For me the 60-250 would be a snap even at 250mm and probably down to about 1/30 on a good day. and easily at 1/60 to 1/90 any day.

BUT THAT'S ME what you can do, will be different.
If you actually read the OP's question, it refers to the WEIGHT of the lens, not CAN I HOLD IT STILL AT 250mm, your original response was offensive and I think you are a jerk. But that's just me!