Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It should only go so far before it can not rotate no more, with or without the tab...

06-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #47
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Katier Quote
Mine looks the same ( except it's printed 'Pentax K/M).
If it was old enough to have K/M on it, it should have Asahi Optical on there. I am wondering if you have a 3rd party adapter.
06-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
For the most part, yes. I've kept a few that don't. Vivitar Series 1: Kiron 70-210/3.5, Samyang-Sears: 70-210/4
Hi RioRico,

Include the FA 100-300 silver version, which of the 3 zooms has the best IQ?
What are the advantages of each lens over the other 2?

Thank you
06-20-2012, 09:39 PM   #49
Pentaxian

I have a M42 35mm f/3.5 Takumar that performs identically to the FA31mm f/1.8 ASPH at apertures of f/5.6 and above. Though it only has five aperture blades so that tends to give it away...just because a lens is old doesn't mean it isn't good - there are plenty of exceptional off-brand optics to be found.

06-21-2012, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #50
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
I guess looking at my lens collection, that I'm a "legacy lens user".

Why, well because I've got them and that they still produce today, the images that I need to get the job done. If that changes in the future for whatever reason, I'll change my equipment accordingly.

Perhaps rather simplistically put, when people are looking at my work they never question how old the lens is or what it's made from or even what camera system has been used.

So I don't get too involved in the whys and wherefores, for me it's all about the final image and getting paid for said image.

And hey, as a bonus, if we do ever get a FF camera, I'm ahead of the game.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 06-21-2012 at 06:14 AM.
06-21-2012, 11:51 AM   #51
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
If it was old enough to have K/M on it, it should have Asahi Optical on there. I am wondering if you have a 3rd party adapter.
I did buy it as a genuine Pentax but stranger things have happened!!
06-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #52
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Katier Quote
I did buy it as a genuine Pentax but stranger things have happened!!
Can you post a picture of it?
06-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
And hey, as a bonus, if we do ever get a FF camera, I'm ahead of the game.
This is the boat I'm in. The only DA lens I own is the 18-55 kit that came with my K-x. Everything else is FF, so I'm set if Pentax gives us a full frame option down the road.

06-22-2012, 01:44 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Never underestimate an older lens, I took this image with a 40 year old 50mm Takumar

Last edited by Digitalis; 06-22-2012 at 05:18 AM.
06-22-2012, 02:41 AM   #55
Pentaxian

All what new lenses can do, IQ-wise, the old lenses can - equally or better in another context.
FA-series is out of production, but may be not as old.
AF is good to have sometimes, but for a price, sometime a high price. Older lenses are MF, but there are cases AF won't work properly.
Older lenses like Tak/K15/3.5 asph, K28/2, K/A50/1.2, A135/1.8 are simple not in production.
06-22-2012, 03:31 AM   #56
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Can you post a picture of it?
You expect me to take a pho.. oh hang on it's a Pentax forum *giggles* - yep I think I can manage that
06-22-2012, 03:59 AM   #57
Forum Member

Original Poster
As they say your wish is...

06-22-2012, 05:00 AM   #58
Site Supporter

I don't think it's a Genuine Pentax Adapter. It looks more like a Bower Adapter and that the brand name has simply worn away. On a Genuine Pentax adapter the writing is etched into the surface of the adapter and not just painted on. Also, the clip does not look like the clip on the Genuine Pentax adapter.
06-22-2012, 05:03 AM   #59
Forum Member

Original Poster
Definitely no additional branding ( you can see the halo of the P but no other letters because I was looking for Asahi ), but happy to agree with your analysis. I'll just have to fish out a genuine one ( and fish out my M42 lens which seems to have gone awol).
06-22-2012, 06:40 AM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter

I think we all know that there have been technical advances in lens design, but it's just as obvious that newer lenses will not necessarily give you a better picture. Sharpness is easy to measure, but other qualities that a lens can provide are much more difficult to quantify, and it is these qualities that can make, or break the impact of a photo.

Regarding quality, it's very presumptuous to think that advancements in lens construction will be used for betterment of the image a lens produces. Lenses are built to generate the company a profit, and to make them affordable, their creation must be as affordable as possible. Advancement in lens design can decrease the manufacturing cost of a lens while degrading quality. Some new lenses *are* better, but many, if not most, won't be.

The other issue is the automation of the equipment. Auto focus, auto aperture, flare control, etc etc. Are you controlling the result of your photo or is the camera? Most enthusiasts here will take some time to think about what it is that they are doing, but many growing up with automation simply don't. I agree that advancements have made it much easier to get a good photo, but it's also just as easy to plateau as a photographer. If one relies on the camera to think for them, what aperture to use, where to autofocus, they are chained to the limitations of the technology. You have to go out of your way to override the settings of the camera, instead of just using different settings as photographers did in the past. If you use new lenses because old ones are problematic for you to use, then you might have a bigger problem than lenses.