Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Adding dust protection to Non-WR Lenses?

Anyone ever tried this? Considering getting something along the lines of a cheap rubber gasket that will fit just around the contacts of a K mount lens. Already tested the concept with light rain using (Don't laugh, it worked) silly putty around the outer part of my Helios 58mm.

Just seems like a silly feature to not be able to have due to outdated lenses, cheap-o lenses or just plain bad thought process from lens manufacturers.

My only concern is that the gaslet might get sort of..."Sucked in" with any zoom lenses if it's not the perfect amount of pressure on it.

Just seems like it might be nice to not have to have some flesh colored material wrapped around the base of my lens.(Can have the biggest lens with the best looking lens hood, this will *still* kill that "Pro" look everyone wants from time to time :P) Also, it sort of...hinders aperture ring usage on some lenses to have putty there.

EDIT: Also, fear not, didn't have the Helios on my K-5, it was on a broken K1000 I have, just left it sitting there for a while in the rain.

Last edited by Eulogy; 06-19-2012 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Anti-YOU DID WHAT? clarification.
06-19-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

YOu might also be able to put the o-ring on the out side of the lens and then push it against the bosy, probably not so good as your version but less demanding for the mount and probably easier to fit.
06-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
Anyone ever tried this? Considering getting something along the lines of a cheap rubber gasket that will fit just around the contacts of a K mount lens. Already tested the concept with light rain using (Don't laugh, it worked) silly putty around the outer part of my Helios 58mm.

Just seems like a silly feature to not be able to have due to outdated lenses, cheap-o lenses or just plain bad thought process from lens manufacturers.

My only concern is that the gaslet might get sort of..."Sucked in" with any zoom lenses if it's not the perfect amount of pressure on it.

Just seems like it might be nice to not have to have some flesh colored material wrapped around the base of my lens.(Can have the biggest lens with the best looking lens hood, this will *still* kill that "Pro" look everyone wants from time to time :P) Also, it sort of...hinders aperture ring usage on some lenses to have putty there.

EDIT: Also, fear not, didn't have the Helios on my K-5, it was on a broken K1000 I have, just left it sitting there for a while in the rain.
A rubber band will work.
06-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I have used the O ring trick for some time, helps a lot with dust especially with prime lenses. Also will keep out water
from the most sensitive area.
The WR lenses on a non WR body don't really help as the camera mounting flange is smaller so the rubber seal does
not touch it.

06-20-2012, 01:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
I have used the O ring trick for some time, helps a lot with dust especially with prime lenses. Also will keep out water
from the most sensitive area.
The WR lenses on a non WR body don't really help as the camera mounting flange is smaller so the rubber seal does
not touch it.
Interesting...never noticed that till now o.o
06-20-2012, 02:00 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
Can you share more details about o-ring and how to use? thanks