Original Poster
guess i'm just really trusting.....

really....really....trusting

lol

01-23-2008, 02:34 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SCGushue Quote
Hmmm!

As Stephen R. Donaldson once wrote. "The only way to hurt someone who has lost everything is to give him back something broken." In this case: A broken camera, or part thereof.

Geez, I won't even lend my adult kids any of my equipment.

Stephen
way off topic but man you dont see the Chronicals of Thomas Covenant quoted often thought i was the only person that read those LOL
01-23-2008, 03:32 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You know, out in the bush here, life used to be very simple.
Rules were basic: Don't lend your wife, your rifle or your sheep dog.
I think a camera replaces the rifle in the modern world.....but then a lot of blokes give their wives away.. ....so go for it.

Hope she's worth it mate...and don't be a tight ass...give her the K10d / 50-135 combo and really impress
Cheers
Grant
01-23-2008, 04:14 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Ensure it is insured.

01-23-2008, 07:22 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
As much as I want to impress her...
1-Ill be in Brazil. With the k10d and most of my beloved lenses
2-I am married. And she's a friend of the wife.....

So, no need to pull out all the stops. Just insure it Say, for the value of a k20d?
01-23-2008, 10:39 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I think that I would have trouble getting over Hawaii = beaches = sand and water, and sand/water generally doesn't mix well with cameras, lenses, and especially people without experience changing lenses and caring for equipment.

But it's your equipment and not mine, and seeing as its a spare body, at least you aren't completely out of luck if something happens to it. Just make sure she has a decent camera bag to keep everything safe in.
01-24-2008, 03:23 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jmdeegan Quote
As much as I want to impress her...
1-Ill be in Brazil. With the k10d and most of my beloved lenses
2-I am married. And she's a friend of the wife.....

So, no need to pull out all the stops. Just insure it Say, for the value of a k20d?

Absolutely!

01-24-2008, 04:16 AM   #23
Veteran Member

She's a Point n Shoot so, neither of you should be ruining the trip by taking a dslr or any slr for that matter. There's a learning curve.

Lend my equipment! Not in a million years. Be it a book, tools or a camera. In the begining...Books never made it back, tools come back stripped or broken (if they made it back)...I shiver at the thought of loaning a camera.

Good luck.
01-24-2008, 05:20 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Aloha jmdeegan

Re your recent quandary:

QuoteQuote:
So, a friend of mine saw my cruise pictures, and in advance of her hawaii trip she has asked to borrow my camera.
It's clearly none of my business, but unless your wife's friend is particularly hard up, why on earth can't she go out and
buy her own photographic equipment like everybody else ??
Whatever I do, I can't seem to stop Shakespear's immortal phrase "Neither a borrower nor a lender be" from ringing in my ears ! You seem like a generous sort of chap so whilst you're at it, why don't you lend her your spanking new 120' Sunseeker Yacht & then hand over the keys to your priceless Ferrari when the sun starts to shine at the weekend......lol !!!!

Best regards
Richard

P.S. May I be first in line to 'borrow' your new K20D.......and here's my postcode........*^%@?<+
01-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
notice she isn't getting the top stuff

and i wouldn't be getting the top stuff either, so no k20d for a long time here
01-24-2008, 06:32 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Aloha jmdeegan
It's clearly none of my business, but unless your wife's friend is particularly hard up, why on earth can't she go out and
buy her own photographic equipment like everybody else ??
Think about it, if the friend were that hard up, how in the world could she afford to go to Hawaii?

If I were in that kind of position and I had the money, I'd simply sell her my backup body and kit lens for a really good price (to her) and get the K20, with the K10 as the new backup. If she really wanted the fisheye bad enough, I'd sell that to her, as well. If I missed it too badly, I could aways get myself another one. In this case, if anything happens to the camera or lenses, then I'm not out anything + I'd have some extra cash on hand.

I'd assume let someone borrow my car before letting them borrow my camera gear. At least the car has good insurance on it and they probably wouldn't be driving it across the country, either. At least if something happened to the car, it's insured, plus DH and I have a spare vehicle that I could drive until my car gets fixed or replaced.

Just my 2 cents...
Heather
01-24-2008, 06:36 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I wouldn't say she's hard up. She just recognizes that at least before using a dSLR, she's happy wth the point and shoot except that it won't do fisheye shots.

I have a feeling she will make an offer for the k100 once she uses it enough

but the fisheye? heck no i ain't selling, LOVE that lens. she can buy her own, if she ever decides to get a dslr LOL
01-24-2008, 07:52 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll lend my fly rods, sometimes but they have lifetime warranties.
The thing that gets me in a situation like this is why would a friend even ask to borrow something so valuable in the first place? I mean I would never consider asking a friend for something like that, and then request their fisheye lens? Never. I would not want to be responsible. I would not want to strain the friendship by even asking. The fact that you're even asking us our thoughts, to me, means that you, yourself, have reservations, as well you should. If she can afford to go to Hawaii she can afford her own equipment. In my opinion she is way off base asking such a thing.
01-24-2008, 08:04 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
im not really having reservations about it at all...my concern is being without my own lens when i am away, not for fear of damage. and my reason for posting was not about whether i should or shouldnt loan the stuff, it was more "would you get better lenses to replace the ones being loaned out, or just limit what gets loaned out"

i think people are a bit less trusting than i thought. friends loan friends stuff, all the time. i've leant computers to friends, which cost more than the camera gear she's getting. video camera, with a similar value. etc etc.

whether she can afford a trip to hawaii or not is not relevant to the discussion, in terms of if she can afford one she can afford the other.
she has her camera, she wants to try out mine and specifically because she saw certain shots from mine she cant get from hers. but, shes not likely, or doesnt expect to, become a dslr owner or user. which is fine and makes sense. why make a huge investment on something that to you is a mere curiousity.

now, i see it as an opportunity to show her how much better a dslr is, without being too daunting, and that i can show her this with a pentax and spread that experience, is a good thing from my POV.

Not saying I don't respect my camera gear--I most certainly do. I guess I am just a bit surprised that not one person was that trusting with their backup kit loaning to a friend to learn and possibly get into the hobby.

harsh crowd, i tell ya

and for the record, aside from how long ive known her and how good our relationship is, part of why i am willing to loan gear out comes from my early days as a HAM operator--14 15 years old, had no clue, other than some of this stuff is frickin expensive. And everyone teaching me the hows and whys, had no issues loaning me anything or letting me "play". And some of those rigs cost a lot more than most camera gear any one person here owns (some radios and associated gear ran more than a brand new toyota corolla). but they were willing to loan things out to those interested for 2 reasons-1-they want new blood in the hobby and 2-some folks love the hobby but can't quite afford it fully, or are interested but don't know if their interest warrants that much of an investment.
so i guess i see it as a similar risk/reward scenario. not lecturing, just guess im surprised no one really saw it like that. i don't know if she'll take a strong interest and want to buy it off me, or if she will give it back before her trip saying it was too much camera, or if the interest will end up somewhere between those two extremes. but im all for bringing someone else to the world of pentax!
01-24-2008, 08:09 PM   #30
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Hey I have no issue with the loaner. That's clearly your choice. I think it's just the full moon. We're all getting a little weird today.