Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I will temper it with this one qualification

if it was anyone else but her, the answer would have been no. But, she's been good with borrowing and loaning and whatnot, so there's that too. But she's my exception. 99 other people ask, the answers a complete no

01-24-2008, 10:21 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by jmdeegan Quote
I will temper it with this one qualification

if it was anyone else but her, the answer would have been no. But, she's been good with borrowing and loaning and whatnot, so there's that too. But she's my exception. 99 other people ask, the answers a complete no

What if it's me?
01-24-2008, 10:38 PM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
First if you're set on lending the K100D and the kit lens that's fine. But Insure the gear before it goes anywhere, if that's not been already taken care of. Make sure she's prepared to cover any deductible or cost should the gear be damaged. Money is a great way to destroy a friendship should there be a problem and she doesn't clearly understand it's her responsibility if anything goes wrong.

As for your trip to Brazil. I'd say if you are prepared to get the 10-20mm then loan the fish to her. If that's not in the budget, then she should be understanding enough to realize it's your gear that you paid for and you have a trip as well. Chances are she'll use several different lenses far less than you due to lack of experience. Give her the manual as well.

As for a 70-300 vs 50-200. Well again you have to spend some money and that's up to your budget. If you can afford the Tamron, it's a great lens for the $$. You can always sell the 50-200 after you get all the gear back to defray some of the costs.

So for me, if it were my choice and the funds were there, I'd get the 10-20 and the 70-300 and give here the 3 lenses as long as the terms of the loan are clear (and I've been around the block enough times to ask for those terms to be put in writing to avoid future arguments). If the budget isn't there for the 70-300, then she gets what you can live without. But I'd never short change myself on a trip to Brazil because that will impact the friendship every time you kick yourself for not getting the shots you wanted.
Wait Scotty, " Don't beam me up, quite yet, it seems intelligent lifeforms might still be on this planet"
01-24-2008, 10:52 PM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jmdeegan Quote
experience wise, shes always been a point and shoot type, but she's smart enough and i've explained things a bit. the camera still will likely end up in green mode, but can't help her on that one.

the reasons she really wants the gear is because she wants the fisheye effect. can't get that without the fisheye lens.

I suggest you lend K100D and 18-55. Make her buy fisheye. She can sell fisheye for not much loss afterward, or buy K100D or other body cheap for it, and you can give her the 18-55.

01-24-2008, 11:28 PM   #35
Veteran Member

How about a "You break it, you pay for it!" policy before she goes on the holidays. But in a nicer way.
01-25-2008, 12:35 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxtic Quote
How about a "You break it, you pay for it!" policy before she goes on the holidays. But in a nicer way.
actually, that's perfectly alright. It's not offensive--blunt, but full disclosure.
01-25-2008, 07:59 AM   #37
Site Supporter

I for one comend you for loaning out what gear you can. When I first started writing for a magazine and was told that I needed to take pics too, all I had was a P&S. A friend of mine brought me his Pentax SLR, lenses, and flash and said go for it. Of course with little experience other than P&S, most shots came out like, well, you know...
The gear meant a lot to him, and I was taking it to an unfriendly environment (a lot of mud), but thankfully for me he considered our friendship more valuable (we do loan each other just about everything but our wives), and he knew I would replace anything that got the least bit damaged. Of course nothing did, but that's not the point.

When I got ready to buy a DSLR, there was one option, IMO, and that was a Pentax.

You aren't lending you most expensive gear, and it looks like you already know what safegaurds need to be taken and are doing them. Way to go for helping a friend broaden her experience in photography.
01-25-2008, 08:41 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
she is definetly keenly aware that if she breaks it, she now owns it and buys me a new one

and all is or will be insured, even when someone says they'd pay, CYA is just the right way to go