Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Tamron Pentax lenses now online at Futureshop!

Not sure if this is news or not, but it seems like Futureshop is carrying a wide variety of Tamron lenses online, including Pentax lenses! There seems to be a price premium on some of the lenses, though. For example, the 28-75 here is $629.99!

However, for those who shop smart, there may be an opportunity for some price matching.

06-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
that is new, maybe they will add the Pentax line back in this year too
Mostly when they do this online thing they swing a deal with Tamron for example and will bring in 1-2 of all of them and more on the ones they will carry in store
06-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice! Always got confused by why they didn't carry anything but Canon around here.(Excluding a *few* consumer grade Nikon lenses) I mean, they'd have only a few T2/3i cameras, but for some reason the 70-200mm 2.8 IS II.

Maybe Pentax's Universal Pricejack Policy is working?(As in they're about to start carrying some Pentax stuff!)

EDIT: Upon further investigation, there appears to be more Tamron stuff all over the site. Perhaps Tamron just *made* them buy Pentax glass as well?

Last edited by Eulogy; 06-20-2012 at 01:09 PM.
06-20-2012, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Tamron & Futureshop

Really? This lens is available online here...TAMRON 28-75MM F2.8 XR Di LD LENS f/ PENTAX DSLR | eBay for almost $200 less, next day delivery. Not to sound too much like a fanboy, but Prodigital2000 gets most of my business.

06-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
Really? This lens is available online here...TAMRON 28-75MM F2.8 XR Di LD LENS f/ PENTAX DSLR | eBay for almost $200 less, next day delivery. Not to sound too much like a fanboy, but Prodigital2000 gets most of my business.
They also lack a Brick and Mortar chain of stores, which gives them a rather unfair advantage in the pricing area. Also - Returns to Future Shop are guaranteed to be easier. Just a matter of whether or not the ability to have it swapped easily is worth a 30% price spike.
06-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
They also lack a Brick and Mortar chain of stores, which gives them a rather unfair advantage in the pricing area. Also - Returns to Future Shop are guaranteed to be easier. Just a matter of whether or not the ability to have it swapped easily is worth a 30% price spike.
Like I mentioned, try to find a price match somewhere. It's ridiculous to pay this premium.
06-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
EDIT: Upon further investigation, there appears to be more Tamron stuff all over the site. Perhaps Tamron just *made* them buy Pentax glass as well?
This would indeed be the case. However, it's only a limited selection so time will tell if they'll stock more online.
06-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Actually, Prodigital2000 is part of a chain of brick and mortar stores, Carman's Foto Source, based in Stratford, Ontario:

Carman's Foto Source | Contact / About us

It's not an issue of an unfair disadvantage for Future Shop at all, just a different business model. Future Shop was a big enough monopoly to start out with before they got bought out by Best Buy. They pushed out many other smaller retailers out of the market when they came in -- they had the economy of scale to get stuff that much cheaper than anyone else I think. Their prices are artificially high. Occasionally, when stuff is on sale, or for stuff like Macs which have a more or less universally set price, they are OK. Otherwise, I've always found other smaller stores have consistently better prices on everything. Everything. I say that living in Toronto, and granted it may not be the same in other cities. One thing that is known about Future Shop/Best Buy and other similar electronics outfits is that they actually use sales of peripherals like cables to boost their prices. Sell you a TV fairly cheap, then rip you off on the cables to hook it up.

06-20-2012, 07:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NotSteve Quote
Actually, Prodigital2000 is part of a chain of brick and mortar stores, Carman's Foto Source, based in Stratford, Ontario:

Carman's Foto Source | Contact / About us

It's not an issue of an unfair disadvantage for Future Shop at all, just a different business model. Future Shop was a big enough monopoly to start out with before they got bought out by Best Buy. They pushed out many other smaller retailers out of the market when they came in -- they had the economy of scale to get stuff that much cheaper than anyone else I think. Their prices are artificially high. Occasionally, when stuff is on sale, or for stuff like Macs which have a more or less universally set price, they are OK. Otherwise, I've always found other smaller stores have consistently better prices on everything. Everything. I say that living in Toronto, and granted it may not be the same in other cities. One thing that is known about Future Shop/Best Buy and other similar electronics outfits is that they actually use sales of peripherals like cables to boost their prices. Sell you a TV fairly cheap, then rip you off on the cables to hook it up.
Suppose that's true. In regards to TVs, I know the markup on them is usually about 8%, but for in house brands (Dynex, etc) it's around 40% - And on Wires and such, it's over 50% markup.

Never knew they actually had a physical store, seems to be no mention of it anywhere is all. And yeah, Future Shop *does* price jack when they can. Suppose that's how they can afford to have 70% off sales and still make cash.
06-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I bought my K-5 from a FotoSource store. Any Foto source store can get you Pentax product , just ask them, you could be surprise at the selling price they will offer you
06-21-2012, 05:29 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Prodigital2000 are Carmens Fotosource in St Catherines actually. Add in Henrys and Downtown camera and Aden will all match them
Future Shop Tamron is online only BTW. The big advantage to the Future Shop buy would be the ability to return it. You can do that at henrys as well abnd they will have it in stock at many locations
06-21-2012, 07:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
I bought my K-5 from a FotoSource store. Any Foto source store can get you Pentax product , just ask them, you could be surprise at the selling price they will offer you
One around here is kinda bleh. 979$ for the Tamron 70-200 2.8.

Prices on Sigma lenses are good though. But according to one of the employees, he's constantly having to exchange them due to poor quality control standards.
06-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'm thinking of emailing Future Shop to see if they'll price match local B&M stores. I think it was competitor price + 5% of difference? Or was it 10%?
06-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SRG01 Quote
I'm thinking of emailing Future Shop to see if they'll price match local B&M stores. I think it was competitor price + 5% of difference? Or was it 10%?
and kill another B&M
06-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
and kill another B&M
Exactly, why not just buy from the local independent like Downtown camera whi will price match the other guys and give good knowledgable service (Something I can virtually guarantee Futureshop cannot give having worked for them - any good knowledgeable salesperson leaves for a good independent as soon as they have a chance