Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2012, 06:34 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's almost impossible for me to find a T-mount-to-pentax-K-mount locally (!)
Who knows maybe they popup there and there in near future...

06-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Steve

to answer your questions, 1) not likely that the manufacturer was associated with nikon, just that this was a size once used by nikon. as for the lens, i'll let you decide, but 28mm lenses are a dime a dozen as they were a popular, perhaps the most popular wide angle focal length available.

Focal was a K-Mart Store brand, and they (K-mart) probably simply shopped out to anyone willing to rebrand the lens. this means that the same focal length could have been made by multiple manufacturers, depending on who was the cheapest at any time to fill an order.

take some test shots, and play with the lens to your heart's content, but if you let it go, perhaps keep the adaptor. you never know when you come across another T mount lens, but with no pentax adapter available,
06-22-2012, 08:44 AM   #18
Pentaxian

t2-k adapters are easy to find on ebay, but most of them do come from china or india and you will have to wait a bit to get them.
06-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
i'll let you decide, but 28mm lenses are a dime a dozen
Focal was a K-Mart Store brand, and they (K-mart) probably simply shopped out to anyone willing to rebrand the lens. this means that the same focal length could have been made by multiple manufacturers, depending on who was the cheapest at any time to fill an order.
take some test shots, and play with the lens to your heart's content, but if you let it go, perhaps keep the adaptor. you never know when you come across another T mount lens, but with no pentax adapter available,
It's actually a 35 not a 28 but point taken.
Thanks again for all the help.
I thought it might be a good idea to post some of the links I found associated with this so, here they are:Tmount / Focal Brand / Cosina
Also I did find some adapters on e-bay as well as amazon (t-mount to pk / t-mount to eos) for around $8.00, so as you all suggested, they are out there.
The seller contacted me again today and made it clear that he doesn't know anything about cameras so I have stopped looking for info from him and will see what I have for sure when I actually get the thing. From all available information I would say that you guys are right on though, even without the unavailing beneath the adapter.

06-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #20

Original Poster
Found this Vivitar Lens Manufactuers
I wonder of the same system applies to Focal lenses. If so then the one I bought would be made by Hoya. I checked ebay for other Focal lenses and found one there that also had a number that corresponded to that list, but was from a different manufacturer.
Any thoughts?
06-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aka Steve Quote
Found this Vivitar Lens Manufactuers
I wonder of the same system applies to Focal lenses. If so then the one I bought would be made by Hoya. I checked ebay for other Focal lenses and found one there that also had a number that corresponded to that list, but was from a different manufacturer.
Any thoughts?
No, it doesn't apply, and it only even applies to Vivitar in a certain time period.
06-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #22

I have an 'Optomax' branded M42 lens (35mm f/2.8, 55mm filter diameter) with the same font, serial number format and aperture/distance colours if it helps (I don't know much about it though).
06-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
1) not likely that the manufacturer was associated with nikon, just that this was a size once used by nikon
...and by Yashica. At least that is the size for both my Lynx rangefinders.

Steve

09-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #24

There is a consignment store near me so I find myself browsing there lens on a pretty regular basis. I am mostly just looking but I have noticed that the older manual lens have a series of numbers written round the lens. Does any one know what those numbers mean?
09-06-2013, 05:22 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ingramml Quote
There is a consignment store near me so I find myself browsing there lens on a pretty regular basis. I am mostly just looking but I have noticed that the older manual lens have a series of numbers written round the lens. Does any one know what those numbers mean?
That would be the focusing distance in m and ft. The other numbers are on the aperture ring.

Seb
09-06-2013, 05:59 AM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ingramml Quote
The numbers indicate the current lens settings and may include:
  • Focus (usually in both feet and meters) is imprinted on the focus ring
  • Zoom (in millimeters focal length) on zoom ring or lens barrel for push-pull types
  • Aperture (f-number) on aperture ring
  • Depth-of-field scale (f-number, two sets, one on each side of index mark). Used with focus scale to estimate the range of in-focus distance for a particular aperture.
All of the above are measured relative to a prominent index line (usually red, orange, or green). All (except zoom) may be used to work the lens without reliance on a camera-coupled metering or focus system.

Steve
09-06-2013, 07:59 AM   #27

The serial numbers on the front. Will those help me identify the lens?
09-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
There is no reason it wouldn't work properly on your existing adapter, I use a M42 to K adapter on my Tamron Adaptall lens because I'm too cheap to get the actual Adaptall K mount. I guess getting the proper mount is the most elegant solution, but right now it is essentially a K mount lens, just use it like you use all of your other K mounts.

Preset lenses can be great to use, you use one ring to set the aperture you want to use, then the other ring will allow you to open the aperture up to allow you to focus easier, then bring it back down to your preset aperture without needing to count stops or take your eye away from the viewfinder. My Mamiya Sekor 60mm macro made by Tomioka is a preset and it is very convenient to use. My Jupiter 9 is also a preset, it isn't as nice to use as the Mamiya, but it is not a pain to use.

I've gotten to the point where I use a lot of my "auto" M42 stuff like a preset. Set my aperture, flip the switch to auto to open the aperture, focus, flip the switch to manual to close the aperture and then shoot.

Another good thing about a preset lens is if you use it for video you can smoothly open and close the aperture while shooting to get smooth DOF transitions.
Elliot Sir, I am pleasantly surprised when you say you use a M42 to K mount adapter on your Adaptall Lenses.
Please elaborate on this with some photos.
Thanks in advance.