Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #1

Need Identification of this lens

Can anyone tell me what this actually is. The ad on ebay said it was a Pentax Bayonet mount. As far as I am aware, that would mean that it was pk(k) mount, but it doesn't have an aperture lever. This is the link to the ad with more pics. I contacted the seller who was unable to give me an immediate answer; which leads me to think he doesn't know.
Also, having looked at a lot of lenses, I haven't seen one with two sets of aperture numbers on it like this one has. Is there a reason for that?
This is my first post on this forum so, Hello All and thanks for your responses. (added) I did learn in my searching that focal is most likely made by cosina for K-mart.

Last edited by Aka Steve; 06-21-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: spelling and to add
06-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It's most likely a T-mount lens with a Pentax K-mount adapter.

It could also be a Nikon pre-ai mount.
06-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it's an Exa mount lens... Actually, maybe not.

Exa looks a bit different ---> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/182933-what-kin...ml#post1917810
06-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
It is a T mount lens, the mount is interchangeable, these don't have aperture levers. This one might be a preset judging by the aperture markings, which is kinda like a manual version of the aperture linkage.

06-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses, I looked up the t-mount adapter and it does look like it.
Any thoughts on weather or not this is a decent lens? My searches indicated that it was probably made by cosina dnfrom what I gather they made lenses for all the top brands, but I know very little about equipment that isn't K mount.
06-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Focal was the K-Mart house brand. Cosina as the maker is as good a guess as any. Your lens looks like any of a dozen or so odd-named-brands from the 1970s. It is sort of strange to see a pre-set normal lens in T-mount, but anything is possible, I guess

Steve
06-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I can't find anything that is identical under the other "normal" 3rd party brands from the time, that 46mm filter ring is quite unique.
06-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aka Steve Quote
Thanks for the responses, I looked up the t-mount adapter and it does look like it.
Any thoughts on weather or not this is a decent lens? My searches indicated that it was probably made by cosina dnfrom what I gather they made lenses for all the top brands, but I know very little about equipment that isn't K mount.
Obviously it has a bayonet on it, so that's not a T-mount. I think they are saying it is a T-mount lens (which is a screw mount) that has a T-mount adapter on it now. The current mount looks Exaktaish, but I'm not sure. If it is a T-mount, that whole bottom area with the ribs will unscrew -- that's the adapter, and you'd have to get a new adapter to use it: a T-mount->K or maybe a T-mount->m42.

06-21-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
The current mount looks Exaktaish, but I'm not sure.
The lock notch is in the right place for Pentax K.
06-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
The lock notch is in the right place for Pentax K.
Ok, brain cramp, duh. It is a T-mount with Pentax K already.
06-22-2012, 12:40 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks again for all the help
I had bought this for my new t2i. I used to use a couple of pentax camera's (mx & superprogram) so I still have lenses from that. I already bought an adapter which seems to work well with the Pentax k-mount and Paisar that I have and ok with my sigma. I suppose If I'm going to use this one I'll probably need a t-mount eos adapter?
I can't imagine that adapting an already adapted lens is going to work terribly well.
The seller is supposed to contact me tomorrow to clear up what this is. If I can get him to send me a picture of what's under the adapter, I'll post it.
I have never used a preset aperture before, are they a pain in the butt to use?
06-22-2012, 12:42 AM   #12

Original Poster
Sorry for the accidental double post I seem to be having some issues.
06-22-2012, 02:42 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Aka Steve Quote
Thanks again for all the help
I had bought this for my new t2i. I used to use a couple of pentax camera's (mx & superprogram) so I still have lenses from that. I already bought an adapter which seems to work well with the Pentax k-mount and Paisar that I have and ok with my sigma. I suppose If I'm going to use this one I'll probably need a t-mount eos adapter?
I can't imagine that adapting an already adapted lens is going to work terribly well.
The seller is supposed to contact me tomorrow to clear up what this is. If I can get him to send me a picture of what's under the adapter, I'll post it.
I have never used a preset aperture before, are they a pain in the butt to use?
There is no reason it wouldn't work properly on your existing adapter, I use a M42 to K adapter on my Tamron Adaptall lens because I'm too cheap to get the actual Adaptall K mount. I guess getting the proper mount is the most elegant solution, but right now it is essentially a K mount lens, just use it like you use all of your other K mounts.

Preset lenses can be great to use, you use one ring to set the aperture you want to use, then the other ring will allow you to open the aperture up to allow you to focus easier, then bring it back down to your preset aperture without needing to count stops or take your eye away from the viewfinder. My Mamiya Sekor 60mm macro made by Tomioka is a preset and it is very convenient to use. My Jupiter 9 is also a preset, it isn't as nice to use as the Mamiya, but it is not a pain to use.

I've gotten to the point where I use a lot of my "auto" M42 stuff like a preset. Set my aperture, flip the switch to auto to open the aperture, focus, flip the switch to manual to close the aperture and then shoot.

Another good thing about a preset lens is if you use it for video you can smoothly open and close the aperture while shooting to get smooth DOF transitions.
06-22-2012, 05:55 AM   #14
Pentaxian

while this may be an unusual example of a lens, it is not unique. I have several T mount primes, ranging from one for my C90 telescope, to one on my tele -lentar 125/2.8 and another on my vernon edonar 105/2.8.

the filter size is a little different, but again my vernon edonar 105/2.8 has the same 46mm filter. When I bought a few accessories for the lens (including a front cap) the sales rep at Henry's outlet commented this was an old nikon size.

I see 46 mm attachments from time to time, but not all that often.

you can change the K mount to any other mount you wish, by releasing 3 small set screws in the knurled base of the lens, loosen them slightly and you can change the orientation of the lens, if the aperture / focus line is not straight up, back them out more and the adapter will come out of the lens.

a T mount bayonet adapter is likely worth more than the lens itself
06-22-2012, 06:23 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
There is no reason it wouldn't work properly on your existing adapter,
Preset lenses can be great to use, you use one ring to set the aperture you want to use, then the other ring will allow you to open the aperture up to allow you to focus easier, then bring it back down to your preset aperture without needing to count stops or take your eye away from the viewfinder.
Another good thing about a preset lens is if you use it for video you can smoothly open and close the aperture while shooting to get smooth DOF transitions.
sounds good Thanks for the advice
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the sales rep at Henry's outlet commented this was an old nikon size.
You think it might be the same manufacture as an old nikon?

you can change the K mount to any other mount you wish, by releasing 3 small set screws in the knurled base of the lens, loosen them slightly and you can change the orientation of the lens, if the aperture / focus line is not straight up, back them out more and the adapter will come out of the lens.
Good info, thanks

a T mount bayonet adapter is likely worth more than the lens itself
Uh, does that mean this is a piece of crap lens or that it's a nice adapter