Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2012, 05:49 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are 19 prime lenses tested at 10 Mp and 7 tested at 16. Overall 45 tested at 10mp, 9 tested at 16 Mp. You might have to use 10 Mp comparisons to make this statement with any kind of certainty. It would also be interesting to know if there is a single pair of lenses where one they change position , the one that was in the lead @ 10 Mp doesn't test as well another lens at 16 Mp. I know everyone says they test differently at different Mp's but if that's true, it should be really easy to back up that assertion.

@ 10 Mp my DA*60-250 looks sharper. Hasn't been tested yet at 16 Mp, so maybe there should be an * beside your statement about with is the sharpest lens.

06-22-2012, 07:02 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My personal experience with Photozone MTF numbers and casual observation at 1:1 of photos I've taken with those lenses, is that its just splitting hairs to look at the differences in the numbers with each catergory.
So long as they fall with a certain category (ie. good, excellent ) they are just that (ie. good, excellent)
There wasn't anytime that I could differentiate between 2 lenses being more excellent than another excellent lens.

And then Photozone seems to always get lemon copies from donors (or actually Canikon saboteurs) , that disagrees with what many folks here have found of their lenses.

I'd not worry too much over 70ltd being the highest in MTF numbers as based on Photozone and just use the sharpness categories as a guide (out of many).
06-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I always thought that the FA-50 F2.8 Macro was the sharpest Pentax lens of al time:

http://www.takinami.com/yoshihiko/photo/lens_test/pentax_normal.html

And several other places that tested the FA 50 macro also posted similar results.
06-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

The DA 70 is a sharp lens, but hard to say how significant differences between it and other lenses are. Certainly it has quite different characteristics from the FA 77. If that is tested on a K5, I would expect at least as much center sharpness, but a lot softer borders and corners.

I think in general macro lenses are the sharpest lenses comparitively, probably because of their planar formulas. The DFA 100mm macro is awfully sharp, as are the DA 35 macro and the FA 50 macro. Anyway, small differences in mtf numbers are not significant and are more likely due to sample variation anyway.

06-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I always thought that the FA-50 F2.8 Macro was the sharpest Pentax lens of al time:

http://www.takinami.com/yoshihiko/photo/lens_test/pentax_normal.html
The subjectively measured results on that site combine resolution with contrast.

Look at how weakly it rates the M100/2.8,
and compare with the actual MTF curves posted in my review
SMC Pentax-M 100mm F2.8 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
06-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I have the Da 70/2.4 and it is my sharpest AF lens. Certainly it is far sharper than my DA *16~50/2.8. When Photozone retested the DA 70 on the K5 it retained its thumbs up rating. The FA 77/1.8 has yet to be retested by Photozone on a K5. Does this really mean much if anything in the real world of image making? I would suggest it probably does not. Both remain excellent prime lenses. Take your choice and go out and enjoy the fine photographic tools they are.

Tom G
06-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My experience is that FA43 is sharpest on K-5, but DA70 is pretty close.
06-22-2012, 11:56 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
From my experience the DFA 50/2.8 is slightly sharper than DA70.
I've got both lenses and I disagree.

06-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #24
Veteran Member

77 is sharper throughout the frame. Or so I am going to believe- but I'm bias.
Also 40 is better than 43... No.. No it isn't. Ever since getting my 77 I have craved a 43. Just can't justify it.
06-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #25

I've read that the DA 70 had the Cosina Vogitlander Color Heliar 75mm f2.5 blood(forumla), and so it has that type of "magic" going for it. That's why I opted for the 70 instead of the 77, CA/PF...
08-14-2012, 04:30 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
The DA 35/2.4 is a plastic kit lens, there would be too much sample variation, hard to take it seriously.
Have you shot with it? Go have a look at the sample images thread for this lens and you might be tempted to take it more seriously. I haven't seen anyone on this forum complaining about having a 'bad copy' of the DA35/2.4.
08-14-2012, 05:35 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I've read that the DA 70 had the Cosina Vogitlander Color Heliar 75mm f2.5 blood(forumla), and so it has that type of "magic" going for it. That's why I opted for the 70 instead of the 77, CA/PF...
And I've heard that the 77 was designed at that focal length because 77 is a lucky number in Japan, and that it was designed to take advatage of the way people take pictures, not the to do well in MTF numbers.. that from the patent info, and that it has a certain magic going for it... sheeesh...

Still wondering, has anyone seen any instance of a where two lenses were tested... and one moved ahead of the other in MTF ratings when a different sensor was used? What evidence is there that if you have two lenses compared at 10 Mp that comparison doesn't hold valid at 16 Mp? I understand you can't compare a lens rated at 10 Mp with one rated at 16 Mp, but for lens comparisons, as long as you have two lenses rated at teh same Mp, then you have a valid comparison. I don't see that restricting your field to those lenses tested at 16 Mp where the sample is 9 lenses is valid when 49 lenses are tested at 10 Mp. Now if it's the best of those 49, that would be something to crow about.

QuoteQuote:
The DA 35/2.4 is a plastic kit lens, there would be too much sample variation, hard to take it seriously.
Do you have a reference for that or is that your own personal bias?
08-14-2012, 06:03 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just my own personal bias, well, not so much bias, as that would imply I had something against it, which I haven't, more a disinterest.
08-14-2012, 08:40 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Just my own personal bias, well, not so much bias, as that would imply I had something against it, which I haven't, more a disinterest.
Well, personally I think you're missing out if you otherwise like 35mm primes and ignore this one because it's plastic. In any case, it's a bit disingenuous to suggest that the DA70 is the sharpest lens that Pentax has ever made when there's one that outperforms it on the metrics that you yourself have specified.

Not that I'm buying into higher MTF = better lens - both the DA35 and the DA70 are stellar and are capable of great things and that's all that I really care about as far as this is concerned.
08-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #30
Site Supporter

The DA70mm is one lens that i regret selling, especially now that i no longer have the 50-135mm.
I do not know if it is Pentax's sharpest lens nor do I care. It is certainly sharp enough for me and any non-measurebator.