Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I wanted to keep sigma 8-16 too, as if the focus is right, it is super sharp.
but I tried two copy both were bad copy, and when I want to try third one. B&h sale said no more left in store..
ok, I return and bought pentax 10-17 fisheye...I am very happy with the fisheye now. maybe I have no luck with sigma....

06-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I heard back from the store and they said there is definitely something wrong with the lens. I really didn't want to be without something for half the summer so have decided to just get a refund and come back to it at a later date. I think I'm going to look for a Pentax 17-70mm. Or a couple of primes...

Thanks again for all the input
06-26-2012, 06:31 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Here's a couple of mine with the lens (heavy PP)

06-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Here's a couple of mine with the lens (heavy PP)
Looks like a handy lens to have for sneaky shots of girlies in shorts

06-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
same with my fisheye...
06-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Sigma thing with the returns is pretty dreadful. I took two 120-400's back...one was defective, one just wasn't sharp enough... but. I live a long way from the camera store. Every time I have to return a lens I have to drive 3 to 4 hours one way.... I've made 3 "returns" trips to the camera store in the last year... I don't like hearing this stuff, it makes it hard for me to believe I can trust Sigma. But the 8-16 looks like a great lens.
06-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote

I just wandered around with the lens down at my side shooting randomly for those particular shots. they just happened to come out like this. There were a number of useless shots as well.
06-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

I too have seen wonderful images produced by Sigma, and have read about the Sigma return or boomerang back to the store because of (you fill in the blank). I do believe that once you get a good one, its good. That said, why can't Sigma produce their lenses so that they are keepers the first time around?

07-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
That said, why can't Sigma produce their lenses so that they are keepers the first time around?
I reckon for the same reason Pentax was unable to provide DPReview with one good DA* 55/1.4 copy. After the third copy still had issues DPReview just went with this one.

Forum user Robgo2 tried five (5) copies of the DA* 55/1.4 and finally gave up because they all had issues.

I reckon the reason that many FA 31/1.8 Ltd copies have a slight barrel wobble problem which can affect IQ from mild to severely is the same as the above and the one that answers your question: It appears to be too expensive to perform better quality control. The customer is used as the final QC point. Some are not bothered by mild problems, some will never know that they have a subpar copy, and some return suboptimal copies.

I do not like this situation at all, but perhaps with the exception of a few pro models by Canikon, there does not appear to be any difference between lens manufacturers regarding catching lemons before the customer receives them.

At least Sigma prices are still mostly affordable which makes it a little less annoying when you have to swap a copy. For the price of a FA Ltd, one would like to expect perfection.

Last edited by Class A; 07-03-2012 at 05:55 AM.
07-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
At least Sigma prices are still mostly affordable which makes it a little less annoying when you have to swap a copy. For the price of a FA Ltd, one would like to expect perfection.
With the newer Sigma lenses, I would not swap - spend the few dollars to send it to Sigma, they will re-chip it and calibrate it to your body, it will be as perfect as a lens can get. FWIW, Sigma stands behind their products and offers top notch customer support to their customers.

[not sure about int customers, but sigma makes it easy here in the states]
07-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
With the newer Sigma lenses, I would not swap - spend the few dollars to send it to Sigma, they will re-chip it and calibrate it to your body, it will be as perfect as a lens can get. FWIW, Sigma stands behind their products and offers top notch customer support to their customers.

[not sure about int customers, but sigma makes it easy here in the states]
have to send out with camera, right?
07-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
have to send out with camera, right?
Yes - well worth it in the end...
07-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'd considered that too, but they first suggest sending the body to Pentax to have them check it over before sending the lens and body in. I don't have a camera to spare, so that was more than I wanted to do at this point.

Instead I've just bought a nice DA 40mm! Should get it in time for the weekend