Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #1

Spotmatic Takomar to Minolta SRT Adapter?

I'm interested in buying a Minolta SRT 101 or 102 body off of eBay. Is there any adapter that would let me use the Takumar 1.4 lens from my Spotmatic on the Minolta?

Thanks.

06-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #2

There was an adapter made by Minolta for M42 lenses called a "P-ADAPTER". I am sure there are many after-market versions of this currently avaiable. I purchased one of my Minolta versions attached to an SMC Takumar 55 1.8 for the princely sum of $8.99 at a thrift store a few years ago.
06-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #3

There are plenty of third party adapters out there. The OEM Minolta adapter can be found now and then on eBay for around $25 or less. Search on M42 to MD adapter. Quality varies a lot. The one I bought doesn't let me thread the lens in far enough to depress the auto release so I can use the manual/auto switch on the lenses with it.
06-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #4

I thought the same thing when I used a Fotodiox Pro M42 adapter last night. I intended to shoot with a Super-Multi-Coated TAKUMAR 200 f4 mounted on a NEX series camera. I could not get infinity focus and the distance scale did not make sense with what I did have in focus.
After thinking things through I determined the adapter was fine but not suited to the advanced features of this lens series. The linkage designed to communicate the desired aperture to the camera interfered with the seat in the adapter. That seat in the adapter which is designed to depress the aperture control pin used in AUTO style M42 lenses.
I have another adapter made by KIWI that works just fine provided I set the lens to MAN prior to attaching it to the adapter. The KIWI adapter has no seat and is through threaded only. The Minolta ‘P-ADAPTER” is just like the KIWI and the Pentax OEM M42 to K adapters in this respect. They are just fine for the presets, the MAN/AUTO lenses, and the hobbled AUTO lenses. By hobbling I refer to depressing the aperture pin mechanically so that it is depressed before fitting up to the adapter.
The Minolta “P-ADAPTER’ has two holes at 180 degrees in its face to be used to remove it from the bayonet mount. I assume but do not know for sure that there was some sort of tool required to engage these holes provided with the adapter. In this regard I think the OEM Pentax is much more sophisticated. Finger tip only provided you don’t bite your nails too short.

06-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #5

The Minolta "P-Adapter" has a tool that is rarely included if you find them for sale. The tool is very similar to those that come with 3rd party flangeless m42 to Pentax K adapters. I have a OEM Minolta "L-Adapter" (Leica 39mm mount) with the tool. I should see if it fits the Pentax m42 adapter, maybe one of the 3rd party tools can be used with Minolta adapter.

I just use a piece of rubber grip mesh to remove the adapter as I don't want to mar the adapter with the tool. At least with my adapter it's a very tight fit and it cannot be removed with some sort of aid.

I bought this adapter so I could use enlarger lenses on my bellows. I was using the 3rd party m42 to MD adapter with a m42 to Leica adapter ring but one of the Minolta Leica adapters showed up (rather rare) with box, instructions and the tool on eBay and I got it for a very decent price.