Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #16

Original Poster
I have been hearing about issues with both SIgma lenses. Once you get a good copy it is fantastic. But it is hit or miss depending on what you get. Is that accurate?

08-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by agrandal Quote
I have been hearing about issues with both SIgma lenses. Once you get a good copy it is fantastic. But it is hit or miss depending on what you get. Is that accurate?
if you buy new, you can always exchange..so should not be an issue.
08-16-2012, 03:37 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Sigma 8-16 manual focused using NEX 5n body. Once you go all the way to 8mm there's no going back.
08-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by agrandal Quote
I am in the process of learning about Sigma lenses. There is a lot to like about them - some pretty unique focal lengths, the long warranty period - 3 years, and they do render some nice colors - especially the wide angle lenses that they have. For all of those reasons along with several specific needs - I ordered and received a Sigma 8-16. After a few shots, I felt that it was not as sharp as I felt it should be based on other posts along with images. So this thread is walk through of what I am finding.Bottom line - if you don't want to wade through several pages of posts, it looks like I am keeping the lens. CRIS - the authorized Pentax and Sigma repair depot in the US, found that the lens was way out of calibration. Others have added that they have came across the same problem, but after proper calibration - the lenses are excellent. So, I am thinking that rather than playing lens ping pong with the retailer, the best way is to send it into Sigma for re-calibration. A quick check (or possible indication of a problem) is auto-focusing way past infinity mark on the focus ring.

CRIS is in Arizona or I was told Sigma USA has their main depot in New York.

08-17-2012, 02:49 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Da 15mm limited