Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2012, 10:39 PM   #1

HELP! Super Zoom Tips appreciated.

Camera Used Pentax K-x
Lens in discussion Tamron AF 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 (IF) MACRO Aspherical LD XR Di2
Use: Disney Trips as an all encompassing lens. I love the convenience of one lens that goes from wide angle to zoom. The $300 price seemed fair.

PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TIPS!
I purchased a superzoom lens.
No. Its not a 1200.00 lens. But it is exactly what I want. I just HATE the clarity and focus. I have no issues getting decent pictures, but I cant seem to get ANY spectacular pictures. Most lack the crystal clear details Im after. I long for pictures that are jaw dropping. Insects that look alive on my desktop. Water that looks wet. Not just basic pictures. Part of me regrets buying this lens but Im stuck with it, and its range is exactly what I need. So Id love some tips to make the pictures turn out better.
Im not a complete novice, but Im certainly not a pro. I have quite a few lenses but this most recent addition to my collection is driving me crazy. I get blur and lackluster detail.

Id also love to see some pictures taken from this same lens if anyone has one and would care to contribute.

As far as my pictures.. What all could I be doing wrong and how could I improve the pictures?

06-30-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Samples with EXIF will get you useful advice instead of guesses.

Otherwise - remove any filters, find the lens sweet spot aperture for each focal setting, make sure shutter speed is adequate to avoid motion blur.

Much magic can be achieved in post processing as well.

It's been a while since I owned that lens but it didn't seem too bad. The 18-250 variant has a much better rating.

NOT MY PHOTO - just did a search on Flickr for Tamron 18-200

Last edited by crewl1; 06-30-2012 at 10:50 PM.
06-30-2012, 10:50 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

I have a DA18-250mm and I am getting some decent shots with my K-7. The DA18-250mm is not a prime and it should not be compared to primes.

A few tips:
- Camera setup
Centre focus
Shutter priority in Hyper (P) program mode
Center-weighed meterring

- Lens setup
Use a hood all the time if you can - will reduce the risk of flares

- Photographer
Move - do not sit and use the zoom all time - move to go close up if you can
Try to keep the sun in your back
Avoid shots where the subject is 1/2 in sun and 1/2 in shade - the superzoom are very bad

- PP
Do PP your photographs - It is very easy to improve your shots with basic PP with basic NR, crossping, .... - I use PDCU

Lastly you could consider to shoot RAW to get more options for PP.

All in all, I found that a main difference between prime and superzoom is the tendency of the photogapher (myself) to be static, and not move around ....

I hope that the comments may help.

Last edited by hcc; 06-30-2012 at 11:17 PM.
06-30-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmm, does this meet your requirements, or not?

06-30-2012, 11:27 PM   #5

Original Poster
WOW! The picture of the dragonfly... Very nice. OK So I have hope. If that kind of picture is possible with this lens then I'm very encouraged. The first picture is even better. Glad to see its not the lens but me. I can fix me.
Keep the tips coming. I'll try and get some pictures posted with details soon as my schedule allows.
06-30-2012, 11:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you shoot RAW, spend some time in post processing. Also, play a bit with the image tone settings in the camera when you shoot jpegs; page 194 of the (english) manual, just above the (first) table.
07-01-2012, 03:16 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looking at the EXIF for the dragonfly, the lens used was a Tamron AF70-300 F/4-5.6 LD Macro. You probably shouldn't expect to get the same results with your Tamron 18-200.

07-01-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SelfEmployedDebtFree Quote
WOW! The picture of the dragonfly... Very nice. OK So I have hope. If that kind of picture is possible with this lens then I'm very encouraged. The first picture is even better. Glad to see its not the lens but me. I can fix me.
Keep the tips coming. I'll try and get some pictures posted with details soon as my schedule allows.
The lens I used was the Tamron-made Quantaray 70-300, a $68 cheapie. My point in posting that shot is that the quality, the sharpness is brought out in post-processing. To bring out the best in any photo, you need to work on it. For me, I work on contrast, saturation and sharpness. Shooting in RAW gives you more latitude than JPEG, but you can adjust the JPEG settings in-camera.
07-07-2012, 02:41 PM   #9

Original Poster
Is there any particular post processing software in particular that you would recommend? Ive always just uploaded and said "there it is". Though I do have at least one software that might work perfectly, I just never used it.
07-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SelfEmployedDebtFree Quote
Is there any particular post processing software in particular that you would recommend? Ive always just uploaded and said "there it is". Though I do have at least one software that might work perfectly, I just never used it.
I use PDCU4 which is a Slikypix based program bundled with Pentax dSLR. It may not be Photoshop but it gets the job done. I also use Photoshop Elements 9.