Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #1

PentaxnFA 43 F1.9 Ltd with internal dust

Hi, new to forum, getting more serious about photography after years of taking snaps. I am currently using a K100D waitng for arrival of a K5.
I am hoping for some advice.
I received brand new 43 mm Ltd from reputable on-line dealer yesterday. I love the way it looks and feels and it makes beautiful portraits. Examing the lens I see a reflective particle behind the front element in the center of the lens. Bigger than a dust particle, very shiny, I am unsure what it is, a flashlight makes it more visible, it doesnt move, it is not on the surface. I couldnt see anything on my laptop screen in the photos I have taken.

Is this common?
Are there quality control issues with the Ltd series (I have bought two other new lenses and they appear perflectly clear)?
Suggestions?

I appreciate any thoughts (didnt find the topic searching the forums, maybe becasue I am new to it!)
Thank you
ps Great site!

07-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Be careful with dust. I got a globber dust partilce in a WA and it shows up esp in the sky. I bought it used. Got screwed. A guy stuck me with a bad lens on me and I found out too late to return it.
07-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If it's larger than dust and doesn't look like dust then I'd definitely return it for a different one, there's no way I would be able to live with that, maybe with dust but not some odd piece of large particle.
07-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's an FA Limited... that might be a particularly large chunk of "pixie dust."

Seriously, stop down to f22 and shoot at a clear sky. You might see something then. However, if it's new, just return it since that's not a common thing in any new lenses!

07-02-2012, 02:37 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for the replies, I will feel better about exchanging it, but did not want to over-react either.

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
It's an FA Limited... that might be a particularly large chunk of "pixie dust."

Seriously, stop down to f22 and shoot at a clear sky. You might see something then. However, if it's new, just return it since that's not a common thing in any new lenses!