Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2012, 06:07 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I have actually never heard a story here about someone who scratch his lens during cleaning, you care to find me one with of course a lens with an coating against scratching.
I wear spectacles myself and it has the same kinds of coatings on it and believe me it can take a beating.

So the argument about then cleaning is purely speculations if you ask me, but that a filter reduce the image quality is not speculation, you are more prone to flares, ghosting and the droplets and smears on the filter will be more visible in the photo then if they were on the lens. So the presumable extra's the filter brings does not weight up against the downsides and cost.

If you're worried about your gear then insure it for the money you save with the filters, that covers more.

07-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
I have actually never heard a story here about someone who scratch his lens during cleaning, you care to find me one with of course a lens with an coating against scratching.

I wear spectacles myself and it has the same kinds of coatings on it and believe me it can take a beating.

So the argument about then cleaning is purely speculations if you ask me, but that a filter reduce the image quality is not speculation, you are more prone to flares, ghosting and the droplets and smears on the filter will be more visible in the photo then if they were on the lens. So the presumable extra's the filter brings does not weight up against the downsides and cost.

If you're worried about your gear then insure it for the money you save with the filters, that covers more.
Absolutely there's a lot of speculation regarding this topic, and not a lot of hard data. We do know that recent coatings, especially coatings like the Pentax SP coating, are much improved over old coatings. Glass can also be made much more durable now as well. Most of the lenses I've seen with significant scratches on their front elements are older lenses (both in person and photos of scratched lenses here on the forums). Of course, I imagine most of the members here in the forum who have DA* and lenses with SP coatings (which are a statistical minority of all lenses) are more likely to be more careful with those lenses than with older lenses, and maybe less likely to talk about any mishaps. Fewer of those lenses are bought and sold on the secondhand market relative to all other lenses, so the overall exposure cross-section is smaller.

I'm not sure how relevant your personal experiences with your eyeglasses are. For one, it's probably easier to blow off or wash off the type of particulate debris that can potentially go unseen at the edge of a front lens element where it meets the body and get picked up during a cleaning, like a grain of sand. The chance of you accidentally rubbing a grain of sand across your glasses (which is the thing most likely to go missed and could scratch an SP coating) is probably less likely (though I'm not sure since I haven't seen what kind of frames you have with your eyeglasses).

Insurance I'm sure would be a fine option for lenses that are in-production. Most of my lenses are AF, and made in the last 10 years, but are out of production, so I'm not sure how much insurance would help me - one of them took me over a year to locate and acquire. Insurance wouldn't compensate me for the time it took me to find some of my lenses.

In some ways I think a quality lens filter is like a motorcycle helmet. In states like RI and NH you don't have to wear a helmet, and I see people riding all the time without one. Personally, I would never get on a motorcycle without one. Opinions differ, and different people are willing to take different risks for different tradeoffs.
07-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Actually i'm not careful at all with my gear, well i don't do anything stupid with it but i find it laughable sometimes how some really baby their lenses. They are really tools for me and i just use them. To make a list that might cause some a hard attack... i dont use any protective filters, my lenses havent seen a lens-cover in... 2 years now since i find them horiable to use and i always loose them so they are stored away safely inside the box of the lens =]
The lenses have been to the beach a couple of times, to the dunes, been laying in the snow, have seen several rain storms, swiming pools, two rallies, dust old houses, been covered in beer and bumped a lot with some concerts, been to a construction site a couple of times... that is most of it i think. And there is not a mark on the glass itself. And i clean the camera and me DA* lenses under the tap. Most likely i'll end up on a black list off people not to buy from now

Do i've so much luck? I really doubt that...

I i've -4.5 lenses and they are slightly bigger then the frame. I've been grinding and drillling with them on so they have seen their share of dust and grid.
07-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Most likely i'll end up on a black list off people not to buy from now
Added.

01-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #20

A filter will keep dust and fingerprints off the glass; therefore, the front element will require less cleaning (less wear over time maybe). A UV filter will also generally protect the lens from bumps and such probably more significantly than UV rays.
01-04-2013, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And that UV filter will most likely degrade your image quality.
This has been posted before, demo of new Pentax SP coating.
01-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gone Dig Quote
A UV filter will also generally protect the lens from bumps and such probably more significantly than UV rays.
The glass can take a lot and the coating on the lens is actually hardend and made specially to protect the lens.

I don't understand how people think a thin piece of filter glass can protect their lens from anything significant.. throw a golf ball add it and see the splinters of the filter scratch the lens...
01-05-2013, 11:48 AM   #23

I didn't realize that I had stepped into such a heated ongoing feud. LOL. I was merely pointing out that (referring to the beginning of the thread) I certainly don't think slapping a UV filter on a lens will water proof it. At most, it may provide a little protection for the front element from scratches and dust. I am sure this doesn't apply to Pentax lenses however because they are coated with kryptonite. I will suggest one caveat, if you are ever shooting a golf match, DO NOT ATTACH A FILTER TO YOUR LENS.

I, of course, am being humorous, and I hope no one will read this as hostile in any way shape or form. I do think the Cannon salesman was probably stretching the truth, but I am certainly no expert. I could be wrong.

Last edited by Gone Dig; 01-05-2013 at 01:09 PM.