Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everyone, lots of good information. The scales on the DA lenses are so small as to not be real useful anyway but I think I understand the situation better now. I learn something everyday. Unfortunately it seems I forget two things every day now.

07-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Thanks everyone, lots of good information. The scales on the DA lenses are so small as to not be real useful anyway but I think I understand the situation better now. I learn something everyday. Unfortunately it seems I forget two things every day now.
It is a difficult subject. There is a HUGE thread somewhere on the forum from about four years ago where the DOF subject was pretty much wrung dry. It had all sorts of example photos showing decreased DOF on a cropped image and such. It is enough to say that DOF is really sort of a "soft" concept in that as magnification approaches infinity, DOF approaches zero regardless of aperture! For a given magnification, varying the physical aperture will change the range of acceptable focus, with the emphasis being placed on the word "acceptable". Pixel peep and DOF disappears.

In regards to the lens scales...I shoot about 50% film and find the scales to be fairly entertaining. The Russian and Ukrainian lenses for my FSU rangefinder cameras indicate a much deeper DOF than the same focal length on my Japanese SLR lenses. Apparently the notion of acceptable DOF was more liberally applied on the far side of the Iron Curtain.

Steve
07-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
There is a HUGE thread somewhere on the forum
Thanks Steve, I will take a look for it. This subject is confusing to me for some reason, not the DOF itself I understand that but the practical application. Every time I think I have it figured out the results I get are less than satisfactory.

On a recent trip to Eastern Washington I found my self in grain country at sunset. Absolutely perfect light with grain fields and abandoned barn in the background. I stopped and took about a dozen shots trying to get the close grain heads and the barn in focus. Not one of my shots came out right. I realize now f/22 caused a lot of the softness, I knew that, just did not think of it as I was shooting. But I still did not get the focus the way I wanted. Really mad at myself for missing a beautiful shot.
07-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Absolutely perfect light with grain fields and abandoned barn in the background.
Near/Far is pretty hard to manage without camera movements and even then it can be difficult. From what you described, I would probably have put focus on the foreground subjects at f/11 and let the background fall where it may and then pray for no wind to disturb the grain. After all, even our eyes don't see everything in the scene as being in focus

Steve