Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2008, 11:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lba: F70-210/4-5.6

I just got this baby today. I've been feeling under the weather, so it's arrival definitely brightened up my day. I did manage to get out in the yard and take a few test shots; once I feel better, I'm going to get out and about it with it. Needless to say, I'm impressed with the IQ. Keep in mind that these pics are straight out of the camera, no PP here.

Heather

01-24-2008, 12:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I just got this baby today. I've been feeling under the weather, so it's arrival definitely brightened up my day. I did manage to get out in the yard and take a few test shots; once I feel better, I'm going to get out and about it with it. Needless to say, I'm impressed with the IQ. Keep in mind that these pics are straight out of the camera, no PP here.

Heather
The one of the house across the street really shows off the wonderful contrast! It looks like you have it setup for close shots of birds too! What is "Rock City"?
01-24-2008, 01:15 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is a great lens and often overlooked. I posted a similar thread on mine. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/16142-more-snow-praise-older-lens.html
I hadn't used it for awhile and had it cleaned. It's often overlooked and IMO superior to the DA50-200 lens (I've had both).

For the cost and size, it's a keeper. All your shots look similar to what I'm seeing. Great colour and contrast. The colour in the Palm plant really shows it off. Very sharp and it's only downfall is, it can be a bit noisy and it's about as ugly as a lens could be.
01-24-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomInJax Quote
The one of the house across the street really shows off the wonderful contrast! It looks like you have it setup for close shots of birds too! What is "Rock City"?
Yeah--I just need to remember to put food in the bird feeder.

"Rock City" is a tourist attraction near Chattanooga, TN. They are well-known for their gardens and scenic views. Here's the website: See Rock City on beautiful Lookout Mountain
The birdhouses are an offshoot of a famous advertising campaign in the 50's or 60's, I believe, where various farmers around the southeast would agree to have their barns painted red with the black roof with "See Rock City" painted in white. I've only been once and that was during their Christmas extravaganza where they light up the whole place at night with Christmas lights (that would make for some great low-light practice). I want to go back in the spring or summer when everything is blooming because I know I could get some really good pics then.

Heather

01-24-2008, 05:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
It is a great lens and often overlooked. I posted a similar thread on mine. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/16142-more-snow-praise-older-lens.html
I hadn't used it for awhile and had it cleaned. It's often overlooked and IMO superior to the DA50-200 lens (I've had both).

For the cost and size, it's a keeper. All your shots look similar to what I'm seeing. Great colour and contrast. The colour in the Palm plant really shows it off. Very sharp and it's only downfall is, it can be a bit noisy and it's about as ugly as a lens could be.
I took a look at your thread and those are some impressive pics.
I had read a little bit about it and liked what I saw, so when an opportunity came along to buy one, I snatched it up for $160, including shipping. It replaced a Tamron 18-250 I had sold before because I wasn't terribly happy with it's performance at the wide end, plus I needed some money to pay down a credit card and I have to say that I think the 70-210 is better at the telephoto end and at less than half the price the Tammy originally cost me.

The only thing that I'm a little concerned about with this lens is that the zooming seems a little stiff. If I were to take it in for servicing, would that be something that a lens repair person could address?

Heather
01-24-2008, 05:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heather, yes the service center could do a lube job on the lens for you. But frankly these are a bit stiffer lenses than the models of today. I've had 2 (bought the second on ebay with a bunch of stuff just to get one lens about a year ago). That lens worked exactly the same as mine and I sold it. So unless it's jamming up or you can't use it, save the money for now and enjoy the lens.