Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2012, 11:21 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jay_akita Quote
Which is why I based my decision on the best of both worlds - first hand experience with both lenses via one of the best photographers on this site (who happens to shoot the same type of subjects I'm most interested in with this lens - portraits of active kids) and defacto test results from a "lab".

As I said before, you cant go wrong with either. Interestingly enough, it was Simon's incredible images with the FA43 that helped me decide to buy it straight away. I am a huge fan of his work, but he nails the shot regardless of the lens used. In his flickr sets, i much prefer his bokeh from the 43 images vs the 55. Again, they are different tools for the job, so the discerning photographer will want one of each.

zeitlos makes a good point about the lab data. Mind you, neither lens is lacking in sharpness. I see a sharpness chart as merely a small piece of the overall evaluation of a lens - if i want crisp photocopies of documents, i need the sharpest possible, flat field, etc...But for the really beautiful artsy portraits, etc, give me a Helios 44-2 any day...Gee i wonder what the Dxo chart looks like for that monster!!

07-09-2012, 01:21 AM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
it was Simon's incredible images with the FA43 that helped me decide to buy it straight away. I am a huge fan of his work, but he nails the shot regardless of the lens used. In his flickr sets, i much prefer his bokeh from the 43 images vs the 55.
Is there a chance to get his username so I can also look at his pictures? Would be great!

zeitlos makes a good point about the lab data.
Thanks

I mean it's okay to look at lab data to get some additional information on a certain lens. When I happen to stumble about some information of that kind about a lens I'm interested in or currently using, I also take a look at it and it might add additional information to what I already now or what I never needed to know or what I might someday need to know in very special situations.
But I think it should be the pictures and user experiences that one should mainly base one's decision on. You're eyes won't mislead you in this case, lab data might.
But if you know how to handle this information, it might give you some valid additional information. However, it won't explain the special character of a lens. And that's what I run after and what makes the picture - apart from the photographer
07-09-2012, 01:24 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zeitlos Quote
is there a chance to get his username so i can also look at his pictures? Would be great!
It's TOUGEFC
See his earlier posts in this thread, and especially the DA* and FA club threads.
07-09-2012, 02:26 AM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
It's TOUGEFC
See his earlier posts in this thread, and especially the DA* and FA club threads.
Thanks!!! Yep, really stunning pictures. But I think it's like someone already said... probably you could give this guy a 50 year old lens, his pictures would still be outstanding

07-09-2012, 05:18 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zeitlos Quote
Thanks!!! Yep, really stunning pictures. But I think it's like someone already said... probably you could give this guy a 50 year old lens, his pictures would still be outstanding
I think you could give simon pretty much any lens and he'd get the best from it, he's very talented. been following his flickr stream for eons.
07-09-2012, 08:17 AM   #51
Site Supporter

I have wrestled this dilemma a few times especially when I still had the DA 40. However, I have the FA 50/1.4 which I use on my MZ-3 which would make me lean to the 43 and I like that lens a lot, but the WR of the 55 is also attractive when I am at work on the rivers and swamps.

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I think you could give simon pretty much any lens and he'd get the best from it, he's very talented. been following his flickr stream for eons.
There are a couple of guys around here that once made me believe that coke bottle glass was more than adequate.
07-09-2012, 09:08 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote

There are a couple of guys around here that once made me believe that coke bottle glass was more than adequate.
yep, Sadly my talents don't include me in that club

07-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote

Agreed, this man is very talented and MOST of the credit should be attributed to the photographer. He brings out the best of every lens he owns, now with the Nikon rig, his work still looks just like Simon to me.
07-10-2012, 12:16 AM   #54
Forum Member

As I said before, you cant go wrong with either. Interestingly enough, it was Simon's incredible images with the FA43 that helped me decide to buy it straight away. I am a huge fan of his work, but he nails the shot regardless of the lens used. In his flickr sets, i much prefer his bokeh from the 43 images vs the 55. Again, they are different tools for the job, so the discerning photographer will want one of each.

zeitlos makes a good point about the lab data. Mind you, neither lens is lacking in sharpness. I see a sharpness chart as merely a small piece of the overall evaluation of a lens - if i want crisp photocopies of documents, i need the sharpest possible, flat field, etc...But for the really beautiful artsy portraits, etc, give me a Helios 44-2 any day...Gee i wonder what the Dxo chart looks like for that monster!!
Trust me - I would love to have the 43mm Limited too That's one of the dilemmas of shooting Pentax - there are almost too many great portrait lenses to choose from. My only concern now is that the new DA 50mm will come out with comparable IQ & faster AF for a third of the price
07-10-2012, 02:54 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jay_akita Quote
My only concern now is that the new DA 50mm will come out with comparable IQ & faster AF for a third of the price
I'm right there with ya! I wish it'd hit the shelves already so we can start seeing some reviews!
07-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you opt for the DA55, check the focusing accuracy very carefully, as this lens has been known to focus erratically. This was not only my personal experience, but also that of Dpreview, which did formal testing on several copies and found the plane of focus to be misaligned. This is not to imply that all copies of the DA55 exhibit this defect, but some most definitely do. In the end, I got the FA43 and have never regretted it.

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 07-10-2012 at 04:14 PM.
07-10-2012, 11:24 PM   #57
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
If you opt for the DA55, check the focusing accuracy very carefully, as this lens has been known to focus erratically. This was not only my personal experience, but also that of Dpreview, which did formal testing on several copies and found the plane of focus to be misaligned. This is not to imply that all copies of the DA55 exhibit this defect, but some most definitely do. In the end, I got the FA43 and have never regretted it.

Rob
That was a major concern of mine too - so far I've been pretty impressed with AF accuracy @ F1.4 & F2.0 so hopefully Pentax has improved QC to where it's not as big an issue anymore. Still need to do a formal focus test yet with AF charts but my initial impression is very good.
07-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #58
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
I'm right there with ya! I wish it'd hit the shelves already so we can start seeing some reviews!
I'd been holding out for the arrival of the new DA 50mm when I saw a post here that lens prices were on the way back up again a few weeks ago and pulled the trigger before Amazon jacked their prices back up - I ordered in the morning and when I got home the price had gone up over $100 I was pretty happy at the time but now I'm peeved that the prices are back down again - if the DA 50 focuses faster than the DA 55 and is optically comparable to the 35 F2.4 I'm really going to be ticked! The 35 is a gem for the price...
07-11-2012, 04:02 AM   #59
Veteran Member

I just love the FA43...its my favourite lens

Here is one of my all time favourite photos that Pcarfan a fellow member here took, who I hope does not mind me reposting but it was this shot that made me buy the FA43

You can find this pic and many other fa43 pics in the FA limited lens club thread

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/59538-fa-limited-club.html

07-11-2012, 06:15 AM   #60
Site Supporter

Nulla, Pentax should be paying PCARFAN a publicity fee on that photo for ever 43 they sell.

Last edited by Blue; 07-12-2012 at 07:26 AM.