Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2012, 04:10 AM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Depends on what full frame lenses u already own

I have a mixture of crop lenses and fullframe. Anyway, my fullframe lenses are:
FA* 24mm F2 (Not very useful on APS-C I'm afraid but will be nice if a fullframe digital ever appears)
SMC-F 28mm F2.8
FA 35mm F2 (my favorite prime)
SMC-F 50 F1.7
SMC-F 135mm F2.8 (my 2nd favourite prime)

I can certainly survive with this inadequate fullframe lineup!

07-08-2012, 04:34 AM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I doubt it's the case that most FF buyers earn anything from their photography - I know several Canon owners in this small corner of the Earth who use the 5DII and don't earn anything from it. The number of lenses available also may not be a consideration - it should be the number they can reasonably afford, but human nature being what it is, no doubt there is a glow to be had from association, if not ownership!

Like others here, I'd buy a 35FF Pentax for the bigger viewfinder alone, but only if it was priced reasonably (subjective, I know, but I don't want to commit myself too precisely until I see what's on offer) and only if it was not much bigger than the K-5. The D800 looks to be a marvelous device, but the size and weight is prohibitive to me, especially after recently carting a K-5 and a bag full of lenses around Europe for 3 weeks.
I use my K-5 with the grip on it most of the time. When I want smaller I go with the K-x. I picked up one of the FF Nikons the other day to examine - - that thing was bulky and heavy to boot.

Pentax's magic formula IMHO is small+WR+great ergonomics. If they added competitive AF and the super sensor abilities of the K-5/K-01 and apparently the K-30 in any camera with a REAL investment in building the name through effective marketing they'd be able to compete with Nikon and Canon.