Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #61
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,166
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I doubt it's the case that most FF buyers earn anything from their photography - I know several Canon owners in this small corner of the Earth who use the 5DII and don't earn anything from it. The number of lenses available also may not be a consideration - it should be the number they can reasonably afford, but human nature being what it is, no doubt there is a glow to be had from association, if not ownership!

Like others here, I'd buy a 35FF Pentax for the bigger viewfinder alone, but only if it was priced reasonably (subjective, I know, but I don't want to commit myself too precisely until I see what's on offer) and only if it was not much bigger than the K-5. The D800 looks to be a marvelous device, but the size and weight is prohibitive to me, especially after recently carting a K-5 and a bag full of lenses around Europe for 3 weeks.
Good point on the viewfinder. Also, wide angle lenses such as the FA 20 would be truly and ultrawide on FF compared to the DA 21 LTD on aps-c.

07-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #62
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,556
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Good point on the viewfinder. Also, wide angle lenses such as the FA 20 would be truly and ultrawide on FF compared to the DA 21 LTD on aps-c.
The FA31mm on FF would be the equivalent of DA21mm on APS-C.
07-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #63
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,166
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
The FA31mm on FF would be the equivalent of DA21mm on APS-C.
That wasn't my point. My point is that the FA 20 is truly an ultrawide FOV on FF and the DA 21 LTD isn't on aps-c.
07-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #64
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The D800 looks to be a marvelous device, but the size and weight is prohibitive to me, especially after recently carting a K-5 and a bag full of lenses around Europe for 3 weeks.
I agree, I got jack of my K-5 and 50-135 + 12-24 on my recent trip. My next camera is probably going to be an OMD for use as my travel and take anywhere camera. My K-5 will eventually be swapped for a FF DSLR for sports use & when I really want high IQ/ISO. APS-C DSLR's are good jack of all trades master of none kind of cameras, but the market is segmenting.

07-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #65
Veteran Member
Anvh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,616
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
That wasn't my point. My point is that the FA 20 is truly an ultrawide FOV on FF and the DA 21 LTD isn't on aps-c.
Yes and 20mm is even more wide angle on medium format camera, i just dont see the point?
07-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #66
Veteran Member
Anvh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,616
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I doubt it's the case that most FF buyers earn anything from their photography - I know several Canon owners in this small corner of the Earth who use the 5DII and don't earn anything from it. The number of lenses available also may not be a consideration - it should be the number they can reasonably afford, but human nature being what it is, no doubt there is a glow to be had from association, if not ownership!

Like others here, I'd buy a 35FF Pentax for the bigger viewfinder alone, but only if it was priced reasonably (subjective, I know, but I don't want to commit myself too precisely until I see what's on offer) and only if it was not much bigger than the K-5. The D800 looks to be a marvelous device, but the size and weight is prohibitive to me, especially after recently carting a K-5 and a bag full of lenses around Europe for 3 weeks.
But thats the thing, so many voices, so here are drooling over the L lenses others want to use their old film lenses on it so it needs to be a camera that suit so many people at once. Sure you can buy a 5D or 800D but will they preform better then APS-C camera if you've better glass on the last one... it's a hard world this.


I doubt they can make it that size you want at the moment but who knows...
Anyway the size and weight of the camera is only small part of the set, just compare the lenses...
07-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #67
Veteran Member
TOUGEFC's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,561
If they make a FF and thats a big IF!
I will only buy it IF they can match Nikon's AF/lens/flash system.
07-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #68
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,615
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I agree, I got jack of my K-5 and 50-135 + 12-24 on my recent trip.
You can travel light with Pentax
(and you more or less have to, if your travel involves "regional jets" at any stage).

I take a K-x, and either a Tamron 17-50/2.8 with an M100/2.8,
or else a 15-35-70 DA Ltd set.

07-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #69
Pentaxian
RonHendriks1966's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,556
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
That wasn't my point. My point is that the FA 20 is truly an ultrawide FOV on FF and the DA 21 LTD isn't on aps-c.
Yes I realize that. I sold my 21mm (wich was more then wide enough for me) and bought 31mm to fullfill that same function in future on a FF camera that the 21mm did on my K-5. For me, I don't need wider then that.
07-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #70
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NE, USA
Posts: 1,302
Why can't the current lens lineup be used?

I had a 80-200 zoom for my K1000 FF. Why can't I use the 60-250 on a DSLR FF?
07-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #71
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,615
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
Why can't the current lens lineup be used?
Some of the DA lenses won't cover FF with good IQ.

Some appear to do moderately well at the edge of a 35mm film frame,
but that doesn't mean they'd send the light
at a good angle into outer pixel wells on FF digital.

Last edited by lytrytyr; 07-05-2012 at 04:39 PM.
07-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #72
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NE, USA
Posts: 1,302
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Some of the DA lenses won't cover FF with good IQ.

Some appear to do moderately well at the edge of a 35mm film frame,
but that doesn't mean they'd send the light
at a good angle into outer pixel wells on FF digital.
Well, I don't know all the tech details.

I had a K 1000 with 24mm lens that worked good for my FF film cam. Why wouldn't my 60 - 250 Pentax dslr lens work on a FF dslr? Would Pentax have to remake another 60-250 to work on a FF? Just don't understand it? Isn't a 60-250 a 60-250 no matter how you slice it?

...but as I said I don't know the tech end of lenses.

And if this is the case, I guess it will be something to look forward to as Pentax comes out with all the various lenses all remade for FF?
07-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #73
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,236
While my kit changes with the times, 7 out of my 11 lenses would be fully useful on a full-frame camera. Having lenses like the 31mm and 85mm on full-frame would be worth considering a body if it ever does arrive and I can afford it.
07-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #74
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,615
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
Why wouldn't my 60 - 250 Pentax dslr lens work on a FF dslr?
As a DA lens, it's nominally described as covering an APS-C size digital sensor,
so may or may not work well on a FF sensor.
(Perhaps a Pentax historian can help us out here:
were any lenses designed with the abortive FF digital in mind?)

The basic problem is the angle at which the light rays hit the edge of the frame.
With film, it doesn't matter if the rays come in at an oblique angle.
With digital, the individual pixels sit in a kind of well,
and oblique rays may not illuminate the bottom of the well properly.
07-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,247
Pentax's original patent applications for the DA*60-250 and DA*300 state they are full frame lenses.
Those posting here who have not read this thread, should.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
availability, expensive, fa, full-frame, k-mount, lens, lenses, pentax, pentax lens, slr lens, system, troll
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-5 Lens Selection - Please Help Eliglass Pentax K-5 11 05-26-2011 10:58 PM
Help me choose my Pentax lens selection Mr_Canuck Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 25 04-14-2011 11:01 PM
lens selection k20d radeb Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 8 12-26-2010 08:45 AM
Help with telephoto lens selection pacsman128 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 10 11-26-2010 08:09 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:31 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top