Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #106
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
A long time ago, real photographers scorned viewfinders.
They would stare at a screen on the back of the camera.
yep and then they would pack up the 4 plates they shot that day on the mule and head for base camp. Sorry, I love large format cameras but they are not close to a walkabout camera or a sports camera lol

where i would use live view on my camera i would love to shoot large format if it was at all practical (landscapes for instance - or studio based shots that can take advantage of the format)

07-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
This kind of nonsense is why you have been on my ignore list for sometime. 135 = full frame. The people that bought the FA 20/2.8 or FA* 24/2 probably cared or they wouldn't have bought it. Furthermore, did you ever wonder why the DA 15 LTD is popular on our aps-c system and to some folks the DA 14/2.8?
But you didn't said anything of this, you just said that 20mm is wide angle on 135 format, do you expect us to read your mind or something?
07-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
ANVH want Pentax to make a Pentax NEX Blue, I doubt he was ever a serious film (ie 35mm) shooter.
Was still in highschool then when the shift to digital was make.
07-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #109
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Is FF absolutely necessary though when MP's are now running in the double digits? I mean if you have a higher MP camera doesn't that compensate a lot for it not being FF? I would think so. Honestly I don't notice a lot of difference between my film and my digital work. I have a slightly bigger field of view with my film cameras I think, but it's really not a whole lot different. I can't even imagine needing a FF camera unless I was in the business of taking pics for large billboards or something. Using my 35mm SLR's I usually scan the negative and end up cropping a bit anyway. So what's the difference really?
There are lots of threads going into much (too much? LOL) detail on it Mags... No, megapixels don't tell the whole story. Consider a 18mp compact camera versus an 8mp DSLR.

07-06-2012, 02:12 PM   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
No, megapixels don't tell the whole story. Consider a 18mp compact camera versus an 8mp DSLR.
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to consider.

That you might end up with a vastly superior image from the compact.. especially if the size of the image required was 12 Mp? Sure it's more than just Mp, but lets not start pretending that in those instances where the compact image is a desirable as the DSLR image, and experience tells me that can happen, the 18 Mp doesn't count for a lot. Especially since you can reduce the image to 9 Mp and still be bigger than the 8 Mp DSLR image. What does anyone have against compact cameras? I carry my Optio W90 every where, and have taken some very good shots with it. jsherman takes great shots with his cell phone. When talking APS-c or FF, Mp counts for a heck of a lot.
07-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #111
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry, I was speaking personally. The quality and *photographic possibilities* I got from my istDL was, to me, nicer than any compact I've tried. Compacts tend to get noisier the higher the MP or at least the ones I've tried are!
07-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #112
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I agree, I got jack of my K-5 and 50-135 + 12-24 on my recent trip.
Do you mean those were stolen?!
07-06-2012, 04:26 PM   #113
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
Do you mean those were stolen?!
Oops, no, must be Australian English vs US English. I got tired of carting around those lenses everywhere and the size of the bag to fit it all.

07-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Oops, no, must be Australian English vs US English. I got tired of carting around those lenses everywhere and the size of the bag to fit it all.
Thank god! Sometimes it's hard to know what was intended in people's posts with typos, non-native speakers, shorthand being used, and everything else. "Jacked" in American is used for robbed, stolen. You meant jack as in squat, nada, notin'.

The fear of getting my gear stolen has been the number one factor keeping my shutter count at more or less a crawl as of late. I'm not in the safest of cities, come to find out. Just about everyone I know has an experience of getting mugged, sometimes at gun and knife point. It's sad and very discouraging since there is so much interesting stuff and people to capture here where I am in Buenos Aires. I'm starting to seriously consider downgrading a bunch of my gear just to reduce the impact in case of possible loss.
07-06-2012, 05:28 PM   #115
Site Supporter

Maybe I was blissfully ignorant, but I felt very safe walking the streets in Buenos Aires with my K-01 slung around my neck, even at night. Admittedly I limited myself to the Palermo/Hollywood and Recoleta districts, and being 6'3" and built like a rugby player probably helps....

And as for the Aussie slang, "got jack of" could be translated directly to "got sick/tired of". I have no idea as to its derivation.
07-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Maybe I was blissfully ignorant, but I felt very safe walking the streets in Buenos Aires with my K-01 slung around my neck, even at night. Admittedly I limited myself to the Palermo/Hollywood and Recoleta districts, and being 6'3" and built like a rugby player probably helps.... And as for the Aussie slang, "got jack of" could be translated directly to "got sick/tired of". I have no idea as to its derivation.
I started off feeling quite comfortable walking around here with my camera but have over time become more and more wary. I was actually in Palermo tonight and since there's a pretty busy nightlife scene there it's relatively safe even after dark. I'm only 6' and not at all close to being able to be described as a rugby player. You're right that being of a large build/stature could possibly help deter would be thieves. Actually, the second week that I was in BA there was a French photographer who was stabbed and killed for his camera! It was in a plaza that I walk through two or three times a week. It's actually a plaza that's always full of tourists. Very sad.

Would've never figured out that "got jack of" means "got sick/tired of". Since he didn't mean stolen I figured Twitch meant that he "didn't get jack out of" his K-5 and 50-135 + 12-24 combo, meaning he didn't get any use out of them. So thanks for the explanation Sandy! I think what they say is true, everything's upside down is Aussi-land!

Last edited by TomTextura; 07-06-2012 at 09:32 PM.
07-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #117
Veteran Member

Since I don't want all my posts on this thread to be off topic... Bring on the Pentax 135 full frame goodness! New lenses would be great and I'm sure they'd come to be but with only the ones already available, even just the ones currently in production, there'd be plenty enough to satisfy me. Some fast constant aperture zooms would need to be an option for many though.
07-07-2012, 01:10 AM   #118

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Honestly I don't notice a lot of difference between my film and my digital work. I have a slightly bigger field of view with my film cameras I think, but it's really not a whole lot different.
I'm pretty sure I enjoyed my K1000 more than I do with my K-r now. As for the FOV, If you are talking about APS-C and the crop, I preferred having an actual 55mm, rather than a 70. Although the 70mm now does have that portraiture capabilities, I do miss the cut 20mm.

Am I making sense, or is it still too early in the morning?
07-07-2012, 01:17 AM   #119

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Maybe I was blissfully ignorant, but I felt very safe walking the streets in Buenos Aires with my K-01 slung around my neck, even at night. Admittedly I limited myself to the Palermo/Hollywood and Recoleta districts, and being 6'3" and built like a rugby player probably helps....
I guess so.

I just avoid taking my camera to places which I don't like the sound of, and use my beautifully simple (read rubbish) 2Mp builder's phone camera. I call it the iBrick. For Barcelona, I used to take my K1000, which I picked up off my dad, and had been dropped so many times it probably wouldn't sell at all. Now, I wouldn't think of taking my K-r there. Same goes for areas of central London.
07-07-2012, 01:51 AM   #120

QuoteOriginally posted by gilsouthwood Quote
I guess so.

I just avoid taking my camera to places which I don't like the sound of, and use my beautifully simple (read rubbish) 2Mp builder's phone camera. I call it the iBrick. For Barcelona, I used to take my K1000, which I picked up off my dad, and had been dropped so many times it probably wouldn't sell at all. Now, I wouldn't think of taking my K-r there. Same goes for areas of central London.
I have my powershot s90 in these cases (very frequent in Italy where I live....)