Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Sorry but you can't make knowledgeable statements about the 35/2.4's performance based on owning the FA35. While the optics might be based on the older lens the rest of the lens is different. I own the 70ltd and it's a nicely built lens. Problem is that the type of materials in the barrel and all have little to do with the optical performance, and where they do modern polycarbonites exceed many steel/aluminum qualities when it comes to stability across environments, etc. Finally, hoods cost $5 or so, if you choose not to own a lens because it doesn't come with a hood....well......to each their own.
The aluminium is aircraft graded so it will cope with the "earthly" environments just well.

Besides a lens is not all just about optical performance but also in the joy of using it.

About the sigma btw, yeah it can be triangle but at least the background blur is very soft.

07-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I think DA 40 XS has a metal mount, by the way. So, assuming you can buy a new DA 40 limited for $369, is the quick shift, metal hood, and distance scale worth the $125 premium over the DA 40 XS? Of course, if the price of the DA 40 limited goes back to $499, that's quite a hefty premium over the XS for these three things. The size difference is very minimal in my opinion, but I think some people like the focusing ring of the XS over the limited.
07-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Forgot to mention quick-shift. If that's an important feature for you, then your only choice among these three lenses is the DA 40 limited.

Docrwm-- you're right, I don't know how the DA 35 f/2.4 stacks up. It seems most everyone who owns one is very happy with it, though, especially as a price/performance lens. It's very light and compact enough, though not a pancake. If I didn't have a FA 35 already, I would have strongly considered buying the DA 35 f/2.4
Forgot about Quikshift - can be a real plus. If someone prefers the 40 view the XS has some strengths but I haven't seen it with a hood, and hoods are not optional IMHO.
07-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Besides a lens is not all just about optical performance but also in the joy of using it.
Agreed! I get an amazing joy out of using the DA 40 limited-- so compact and light on my K-X. But I must admit, if I'm indoors and need the extra speed, I'll reach for the FA 35-- faster and a little wider is nice for inside snaps. That's why I think DA 35 f/2.4 might be the ticket, although you lose the luxurious "limited" build quality and the pancake-y flat size.

07-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Thats why i got the sigma 30 with his f/1.4, i didnt see much point in going from f/2.8 to f/2.4
Sadly no quickshift with the sigma...
07-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
The XS doesn't come with a hood, but are there screw in hoods for that thread size or some sort of snap on hood you can use? What about the 40mm LTD? How does the hood attach there?
07-05-2012, 04:32 PM   #22
Veteran Member

the ltd have a screw in hood but mine is on all the time, no real reason to take it off since it's so small.

For the XS things are tricky since it uses a 27mm thread compared to the 49mm of the ltd, so good luck finding a hood or filters for that.
07-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I just got my copy of the 35/2.4. Have only taken a handful of snaps so far but I am impressed. I really wanted the sigma 30mm but couldnt do it right now financially and the 35/2.4 really seemed like great bang for buck and so far I am not at all dissappointed..

07-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #24
Veteran Member

They should make a WR version of the DA-L 35 (will call it DA-L from now on, why don't pentax do that?) put in WR sealing, hood and quickshift as well and offer it as a kit lens for the higher end cameras. I actually wonder why they dont offer the DA -L 35 as a kit lens already... they did so in Japan right?
07-05-2012, 07:16 PM   #25
Site Supporter

I have the DA40Xs and the FA35 (which in many ways extends to the DA35/2.4).
Performance wise, they are both very good

Focal length wise, 35mm is a bit wider and 40mm is just that (ie. tighter) ... doh... pretty lame right, but it really boils down to FL preference.
If I do streets and candids, 40mm does give me a bit more distance between me and subject than the 35mm, which is a consideration.

Portability wise, the 40mm is a joy. Almost totally non-encumbering when I mount it on a K5.
07-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Keep in mind that a 50mm is still a 50mm on a crop sensor, it just has its borders cut off. The 50mm keeps the world as you see it with your eyes, but a 35mm, even if on crop, will still feel "wide angle"-ish in terms of space compression and distortion
That is not true. There are many other threads discussing this topic, so if you're curious you might do a search, but basically, focal length itself is *not* the determining factor when it comes to perspective distortion - that's a myth that grew up in the days when most photographers dealt in only one format and thus never had to think throu these issues. It's all about angle of view. A 35mm lens on APS-C will exhibit the same (lack of) perspective distortion as a 50mm lens on FF. A 50mm lens n APS-C will exhibit the same slight telephoto compression as a 75mm lens on FF.

50mm lenses might have their uses on APS-C, but there is no respect in which they function as "normal" lens. What makes a lens "normal" is its angle of view, and there is no getting around the fact that a 50mm on APS-C is noticeably narrower.
07-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Marc not to go into discussion again but point of view is far more important then the angle of view when it comes to the distortions (if it have even effect)

Doesnt perspective not literally mean that?
07-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
A 35mm lens on APS-C will exhibit the same (lack of) perspective distortion as a 50mm lens on FF.
I never understood that to be the case. I could very well be wrong though. I remember reading, and it seemed to make sense, that spacial compression and distortion is dependent on focal length and that those characteristics of focal lengths that are much wider or longer than ~50mm are not normal looking. I thought that, aside from AOV, lens characteristics mostly remain the same across the two formats. I realize that AOV is the main thing that makes a lens normal but something about the definition of it as purely that has never quite satisfied me. I inevitably end up coming across a definition that says something along the lines of: when the printed picture is viewed at typical or normal viewing distances for its size. However, I've never been able to find any examples of what that "normal" viewing distance is for a given print size. I somehow intuitively feel, though again perhaps incorrectly, that spatial compression, distortion, and magnification also play a part in giving a focal length the sense that it is normal. Maybe this discussion belongs in its own thread though.
07-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
Someone explained it to me that it's the distance to your subject that changes the perspective. But on a crop sensor, if you want the same field of view, you need to move further from your subject, hence changing the perspective. If you stood at the same distance with a 35mm APS-C and 50mm full frame, you'd get the same perspective (distortion/compression), but the full frame would have a wider field of view - the APS-C would be cropped. If you took a few steps back with the 35mm APS-C, you could get the same field of view as the full frame, but now the perspective is different because your distance has changed.

Is that accurate?
07-06-2012, 06:27 AM   #30
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
I think DA 40 XS has a metal mount, by the way. So, assuming you can buy a new DA 40 limited for $369, is the quick shift, metal hood, and distance scale worth the $125 premium over the DA 40 XS? Of course, if the price of the DA 40 limited goes back to $499, that's quite a hefty premium over the XS for these three things. The size difference is very minimal in my opinion, but I think some people like the focusing ring of the XS over the limited.
If you use quick shift, it is a nice feature, especially in low light. Some people use the distance scale and some don't. The hood factors in as well and the one on the LTD is very nice. The XS will produce the same results. I think it is a bit overpriced though especially given the Canon 40/2.8 is $199.