Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm quite interested in buying one of the Pentax 40's, but can't decide which one.
I can pick up a new 40mm XS or a used and worn few-years-old copy of the 40 Ltd. for around the same price in Japan, so price is negligible.
So, for me, it all comes down to picture quality.
I've read the optics are identical.

Unfortunately, even though the review was good, a seemingly dud copy of the Ltd. was used, therefore the results are not quite conclusive, certainly in terms of photo quality.
I will say, from the "bokeh samples", the Ltd. looks to be sharper than the XS at f2.8.
The "2012" on the bottle neck looks to be sharper.
I was also wondering about the purple fringing on the XS.

Would be grateful if anyone has further comments to add.

07-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #92
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally, I'd go with the LTD unless I got the XS in a package deal or something.
07-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
You completely missed the point. I suggested a step down ring as a hood for the DA 40mm XS and I cited how some of us used that method on the F 28/2.8 with good success. The DA 40mm LTD comes with a very cool hood so your point is moot. It was used as a concept for a step down ring.

No, but I did because the DA 21 LTD goes, it has a flat hood with a rectangular opening that attaches via a bayonet system which allows the mounting of small filters inside the hood.

We weren't discussing what they are and how they work. However, I am glad to hear you learned something about hoods.
I didnt miss your point you completely miss my point.
Sure the 40 limited hood looks like a step down ring but the hood extends further than a step-down ring, making it a more effective hood.
That point is actually a fact and not a moot point, the link shows and explains it a bit more how it works.

Great for the DA21 but we arent discussing that lens.

I learned something? i put that link up for you, because i thought you might need it and your comment actually confirm you needed it...
We are discussing how a lens hood works because i initially commented about which is more effective (step-down ring vs 40mm limited hood) and you disagreed with me. How can you discuss about which one works better if you dont even know how it works...

Next time you comment i will only respond to your explanation why a step-down ring is just as effective or better as the DA40 limited hood. If you want to waste your time then please go ahead and write about other things as well if that makes you feel better but dont be mad if i dont respond to that.
07-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
I'm quite interested in buying one of the Pentax 40's, but can't decide which one.
I can pick up a new 40mm XS or a used and worn few-years-old copy of the 40 Ltd. for around the same price in Japan, so price is negligible.
So, for me, it all comes down to picture quality.
I've read the optics are identical.

Unfortunately, even though the review was good, a seemingly dud copy of the Ltd. was used, therefore the results are not quite conclusive, certainly in terms of photo quality.
I will say, from the "bokeh samples", the Ltd. looks to be sharper than the XS at f2.8.
The "2012" on the bottle neck looks to be sharper.
I was also wondering about the purple fringing on the XS.

Would be grateful if anyone has further comments to add.
If optics are the same then bokeh and any aberrations will also be the same right?
The aperture blades also looks the same to my eyes so effect of how round the highlights are in the blur should be almost the same.
The only real difference in the optics is the different coating.
I think the difference in the tests are most likely sample variation but that's hard to tell for sure without testing several samples of the same lens.