Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2012, 03:26 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The DA 35 is a very nice lens. Unfortunately, Dxo Mark, is not very good at testing lenses. They want to put a number on everything and so they rate everything based (mostly) on resolution and light transmission. Well, that is all good, but there is a lot more to good optics than those two things, although they are important.

07-06-2012, 04:01 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
DXOMark in this test also pretty much forgot to cover the fact that the DA 35 2.8 is a macro lens that can do 1:1 macros. Which makes comparisons with lenses like the 50 1.8 even more strange - a big reason for people to buy the 35 2.8 may simply be the fact that it can do macro, as well as it's other properties.

All they say about the macro capability is this very strange statement:
'Its macro function, giving photographers the ability to deliver pictures with very shallow depth of field.'

??? So macro is nothing about getting close-up shots, but all about shallow DOF?
07-06-2012, 04:35 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Whatever. I just love my DA 35 ltd macro.
07-06-2012, 04:53 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
DXOMark in this test also pretty much forgot to cover the fact that the DA 35 2.8 is a macro lens that can do 1:1 macros. Which makes comparisons with lenses like the 50 1.8 even more strange - a big reason for people to buy the 35 2.8 may simply be the fact that it can do macro, as well as it's other properties.

All they say about the macro capability is this very strange statement:
'Its macro function, giving photographers the ability to deliver pictures with very shallow depth of field.'

??? So macro is nothing about getting close-up shots, but all about shallow DOF?
Very true. The beauty of the 35 on APS-C is that it can function as a normal "walk around lens" with similar focal length to 50mm on full frame, plus it has macro functions. Plus, because it is a macro, it has quite a flat field, which makes its rendering feel sharper in many situations. Most similar lens out there from another mount is the Nikon 40mm f2.8 which rated almost equivalently (although it is a good bit larger).

07-06-2012, 05:52 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Most similar lens out there from another mount is the Nikon 40mm f2.8 which rated almost equivalently.
The Tokina AT-X M35 PRO DX, available in Nikon and Canon mounts,
is optically the same as the DA 35 Ltd Macro.

DxOMark is due to review that in July.

However, the Optyczne/Lenstip resolution test of that lens
shows figures close to DxOMark's review of the DA 35 Ltd,
around 45 lp/mm in the middle and 35 lp/mm at the edge.
07-06-2012, 06:03 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by usmcxm35 Quote
Real life side by side DAL35 2.4 vs DA 35LTD at infinity... DA35 2.4 ALL day. Img quality goes to DAL(sharpness and contrast). AF speed goes to DAL(focus throw is too long on LTD because of macro). Build quality goes to LTD. So it has build quality and macro. Macro works, but not for anything that wont sit still for you to get THAT close. When they say your milage may vary, mine was severly limited (no pun intended) if you are going to shoot macro, get a longer focal length.
I own both and with my copies, the ltd is sharper and has much better contrast than the DAL. The ltd can also generate that 3D quality in an image where the DAL falls completely flat.

The ltd is extremely sensitive to focus mis-adjustment at infinity, if yours is not sharp then it's either a bad copy or not focusing exactly. I used to have to manually correct the ltd's focusing at infinity until I adjusted my camera's focus fine-tuning. I suspect the same may apply to DXOMark's copy if they found that it's anything other than extremely sharp, even wide open.
07-07-2012, 10:37 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
That's really unfair on two counts. When you do something like that, its more of a comparison between the aps sensor to a FF sensor then a comparison of any lenses. If you look at the resolution of any two lenses within the same make, the FF resolution will always top the aps resolution. Then comparing a different FL lens to the DA35 is even more ridiculous. And i was thinking DXO was a credible organization - my mistake.
This. A concrete example can be seen in Photozone's tests of the Canon nifty fifty:

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II - Review / Test Report - Analysis (8mp APS-C 350D)
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II (Full Format) - Review / Test Report - Analysis (21.1mp FF 5D Mk II)

The EF 50 doesn't outresolve the 350D's sensor wide open, but the resolution measurement is higher in the FF review. Dxomark should stick to measuring sensors, and leave the lens measurements to Photozone.
07-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, the test seems a little wonky in general.

I think people often get too caught up in looking at numbers. Ten minutes on some of the DA 35 Macro-specific photo threads here would persuade anyone that this lens can be great if put in the right hands.

07-08-2012, 08:03 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Yeah the 35 ltd is the dullest lens in my bag. Seriously, it is one of the most versatile lens I have. It has the lovely ltd. color, is suuuuuuper sharp and renders nicely to my eyes. Here is a shot of the capitol I took yesterday and an extreme crop.

Here is one wide open. Also taken yesterday.

And an extreme crop of the eye where my focus was.

I would not part with my da35.