Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2008, 09:42 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ycl Quote
Yes, true enough. We're all different, and maybe Hin is like you in this regard.

I'm speaking merely from my experience, both re lenses and re other things. For the past 8 or so years, I've been an avid collector of mid-20th-century design objects -- furniture, clocks, lamps, ceramics, etc. And what I eventually learned, after acquiring hundreds & hundreds of "bargains" from E-Bay and elsewhere, was that if I had to do it all over again, I should've skipped the cheapies and saved up for the big-ticket items (for the most part -- I DID really get a few cheapie gems on Ebay, back before everyone discovered the appeal of the same objects). And truth be told, most of the few objects that I still truly treasure are the ones that I paid a bundle for. As for most of the cheapo stuff, I'd be happy to get rid of it all even at 1/5 of the price I originally paid for them.

For me, the collector's adage -- "Buy Fewer but Buy Better" -- rings true.

And I think that for me, the same holds re lenses. When I first got into photography, I quickly bought about 7 or 8 cool old lenses that seemed cheap at the time. But now I don't use them at all .... and if I added up the cost of all those 'cheap' lenses, I'd be easily half-way to the FA31 Ltd (the one FA Ltd I'm missing). (And, yes, I know I can re-flog them, but I find the selling side of eBay to be a big pain-in-the-axx).

But, again, we're all different. I realized quickly that with my crappy eyesight and my particular 'way' of doing my photography, e.g., manual focus lenses just weren't going to do for me. Others obviously don't feel the same way and take terrific photos with old manual lenses.
I am selling most of my unused gear in marketplace. You can check my thread in marketplace that I am struggling to unload, but I did well with 5 sold thread with happy customers in my profile feedbacks.

But if I have to do it all over again, I will skip the cheapies and head for the reasonable limted. And perhaps pick the one best cheapies every other birthdates.

Thanks,
Hin