Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2012, 12:59 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
The Good Side of DA 50-200 WR

I recently acquired this lens, and not having the time to really field test this lens yet. Looking back on some older posts, I found a lot of comments comparing this lens with other. My objective today is to explore the advantage side of this lens, I believe some of you have got excellent results from this baby, despite it being a consumer grade lens.

There must be some tricks and advice to exploit this lens to it's maximum potential, I hope for you who have this lens long enough and happy with it, kindly share your experience with it, how to take better picture with this lens, and of course, what need to be avoided when using this lens.

I hope posting in this thread will say only good things about it, we have enough bashing of this lens in the past.

I'm attaching one indoor test shot to start with, and see what you think.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
07-06-2012, 02:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Well, having not owned one, I can say that it definitely is about what I'd expect. It's not meant to replace DA* glass, and it doesn't try and do anything special. Just does what it needs to, has WR and doesn't cost too much. The fact that the 55-300 blows it away is partly due to original pricing being much, much lower than the 55-300. Honestly, for the price, it's a lot better than what I've seen come from Canikon.

In regards to that shot, looks decent, bokeh is a bit harsh, but not exceedingly so. And it's hard to truly gauge sharpness based off a beer car, as the printing on that can be deceiving.(Appearing as though the lens has low resolution, not the can being badly printed)

Keep up the shooting, and hopefully the reviews of this lens will go up a tid-bit.(Personally, the results I've seen from it far exceed the needs of everyday shooting. If you're looking for sharpness at 100% crop, you'll also be looking to pay for it...usually over 700$ in the telephoto range.)

Edit: Also - An 18-55, 18-135 and 50-200 shootout would be a novel idea. See which lens is the king of cheap(er) WR!

Last edited by Eulogy; 07-06-2012 at 02:29 AM.
07-06-2012, 03:25 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm a fan of the lens, and there are plenty of reviews on it. I've made one of my own. I also have a "Single In" Album as do several other Single In Challenge members. (on second thought, that Singles folder is filled with rubbish as I was challenging myself with catching reflections. My flickr has many better shots)

Advantage over DA* glass - it is small, and light and depending on whether you are a big fellow like me or not, you can pocket it in your coat easily. Its a nice companion lens to my DA21 Ltd for walking around with.

My only beef is its tendency to focus hunt on my Kr.

Enjoy the lens by the shots you take, not what others have to say about it, especially those who've never owned it.
07-06-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I don't think there are any special tricks unique to this lens. Use a hood, afoid Image Degradation (ID, sometimes misleadingly abbreviated UV) filters, be sure to have a fast enough shutter speed for your focal length and shooting situation, try to stop down where you can get away with it unless you are specifically going to for shallow DOF, don't expect too much out of tiny crops, etc. I'd say all that about any lens. Sure, some other lens might slightly putperform it, but unless you spend your life pixel peeping rather than actually looking at images, you should be happy with the images you get.

07-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Don't put a UV filter on it, even a supposedly 'good' one. Use the lens hood. Just go out and shoot - I like this lens !

Last edited by kh1234567890; 07-11-2012 at 05:14 PM.
07-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
Pentaxian

One "trick" would be to stop it down to f/8 to f/11.

By the way, that pic of the beer can looks unacceptably soft to me. I guess the ISO and aperture didn't do it any favours.
07-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
By the way, that pic of the beer can looks unacceptably soft to me
It will look sharper once that can is empty
07-11-2012, 07:10 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
One "trick" would be to stop it down to f/8 to f/11.

By the way, that pic of the beer can looks unacceptably soft to me. I guess the ISO and aperture didn't do it any favours.
I'm guessing slightly missed focus.