Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is this bad news for Pentax production

So what does it mean when your lens is in repair and parts are on hold due to backorder for more than 30 days?!
Well, I'm pretty sure it does NOT mean that Pentax has an active production line.
Argh!!

07-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
Banned

No idea how that works or what the main issue is in this. It does happen to more people, so not a single issue. It should be improved!
07-07-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
Zav
Pentaxian

Well, you know, if your lens is repaired in the US and that the piece has to be ordered from Japan, it can take some time. It actually happened to me (replace US by France) in 2009, but we all know that Pentax was already doomed by that time.
And lenses are produced in batches if I am not mistaken.
07-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One of the biggest complaints about PentaxUSA is that they have outsourced nearly everything. Their store doesn't even stock all the accessories and parts listed in every Pentax manual. CRIS often reports that they are out of parts, even on items in the prime of their production life. Repair part availability in the US has zero relationship to production line status.

07-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Sometimes Pentax can take up to 6-8 months or more to get it repaired and back, that's actually average from what I've seen... Which is why I had my D7000 in my cart before I checked out the K-5, but knowing this all I still went with the K-5 anyways. Pentax for life.
07-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it stinks.

My brother once had to wait 2 months for a part for his Honda Prelude.
07-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This may happen if you implement the just-in-time delivery system of production to service as well.

I remember times when the main Japanese car manufacturers kept only the most frequently needed spare parts on stock in my country. Bad luck if something broke which usually doesn't and you had to wait more than 6 weeks to get your car repaired. And this was at times when the percentage of Japanese cars on our streets was higher than it is now.

But all the companies still exist, and it seems the problems are more or less solved. Or they have rather shifted from cars to consumer electronics. And there the problems indeed seem to be related to outsourcing.

07-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Its sad... the current line of Pentax equipment is more than necessary for a majority of professional work, but if I have to deal with a potential repair time of 2-8 months, Pentax is not going to be in my future much longer. That is just a rather scary proposition.
I am lucky to have a backup for the lens in question... but now I am potentially eight months with no backup.... and not spending $1500 for another when Pentax cannot properly support their customers. Yikes!

I have no desire to change brands, but damn, if this is common practice I probably won't have a choice.
07-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
One of the biggest complaints about PentaxUSA is that they have outsourced nearly everything. Their store doesn't even stock all the accessories and parts listed in every Pentax manual. CRIS often reports that they are out of parts, even on items in the prime of their production life. Repair part availability in the US has zero relationship to production line status.

ahh..and that is a big reason why Pentax can't be a pro's camera. Pros can't screw round like that.
07-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm still waiting on my DA* 300 to arrive - ordered it over 1 month ago. Don't know if this is all connected. Maybe the problem is not Pentax JP but the local distributors and service centres not carrying enough inventory.