Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-08-2012, 06:46 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Amazon authorized dealer for Pentax lenses?

Hi just noticed that Amazon.com is NOT in the list of Pentax autorized dealer for lenses... It is in the list for cameras though....
I had to double chech that because Amazon doesn't mention anything about pentax warranty for lenses, But offers the Mack warranty....
Any comments on that? I was ready to buy a lens....

07-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been rather wondering this one myself. If I buy my K-30 and the 18-135 on Amazon is the Pentax warranty the same as if I bought it as B&H or Adorama or wherever? It won't be available for me to buy locally. I'll have to buy it online when the time comes but I don't want to pay more $$$ at the big stores if I can get it for a better price on Amazon with free shipping.
07-08-2012, 07:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I would think it's covered by Pentax if it comes direct from Amazon or any other authorized dealers via Amazon, but not if it comes from a non-authorized dealer via Amazon... But I can't find confirmation from that.... My concern is that Mack deosn't cover the first 90 days...
07-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I guess what I need to know is whether or not all Pentax lenses (DA 50-135 in this case) come with the 1 year manufacturer warranty no matter if it comes from a authorized dealer or not....

07-08-2012, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

A Pentax rep said that as long as you have a receipt that's not from ebay or paypal, and the item isn't marked as "grey market", then they will honor the warranty.
07-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Does it mean buying from amazon warehouse is safe warranty wise?
07-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I don't think any used lenses are covered by manufacturer's warranty, such as the ones sold in Amazon marketplace. However I am almost certain that if you buy a new one directly off Amazon and not a third party dealer selling on Amazon, then it will come with manufacturer warranty.

07-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Alright good enough. I'm getting that 7 yr Mack on top of it anyway. Good deal. (However Amazon still doesn't appear on the list of Pentax authorized dealer for lenses... which is weird)
07-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Amazon themselves clearly state that items from their Warehouse sales are typically NOT covered by manufacturers warrant regardless of whether they are an AD for that brand new items.

Many of the lenses are returns (although not all from what I have gathered) and may be subject to parts missing, etc. Often the "discount" over what they cost BNIB from Amazon is so little that loosing the manufacturers warranty is not worth it to me (particularly on Tamron lenses with their 6 year warranty). Good luck with your purchase.
07-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This is not warehouse sales, is it: Amazon.com: Pentax SMC DA* Series 50-135mm f/2.8 ED IF SDM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Pentax and Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo
07-08-2012, 01:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Nope that's not a warehouse sale unless you click on "7 Used"
07-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Sorry but you stated "Does it mean buying from amazon warehouse is safe warranty wise?" which is why I posted what I did.
07-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just talked to a Amazon rep.... He said first 30 days are money back garranty and then I have to deal with Pentax one year warranty. Then I told him about Amazon NOT being in the list of authorized dealer for lenses and he got confused and suggested I call Pentax... Then I asked him if he could garantee me the lens comes with the manufacturer warranty and he.... couldn't.
That's annoying....
It's the same price at B&H but Amazon offers 12 month no interest....and a 7 yr Mack warranty... and free 2 days shipping.

Last edited by nicoprod; 07-08-2012 at 01:36 PM.
07-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
I just talked to a Amazon rep.... He said first 30 days are money back garranty and then I have to deal with Pentax one year warranty. Then I told him about Amazon NOT being in the list of authorized dealer for lenses and he got confused and suggested I call Pentax... Then I asked him if he could garantee me the lens comes with the manufacturer warranty and he.... couldn't.
That's annoying....
It's the same price at B&H but Amazon offers 12 month no interest....and a 7 yr Mack warranty... and free 2 days shipping.
You got an answer from Adam but that wasn't good enough? Wow. Good luck, peace out.
07-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
You got an answer from Adam but that wasn't good enough? Wow. Good luck, peace out.
Who are you to decide what's good enough for me? I appreciate everybody's help but I can investigate on this as long as I want.