Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
Hmm? Four of the twelve sample images at the end of the lenstip.com review were taken at 2.0 aperture: Pentax smc FA 35 mm f/2 AL review - Summary - Lenstip.com
I know but they were without any bokeh. That's not a problem now, after last night I have checked those links in the Japanese site and pixelpeeper.com and I'm interested to find the FA35.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
If you look at any technical review (eg lenstip, photozone) where they've reviewed both lenses, the Sigma 30 1.4 has FAR softer corners than the FA 35. The Sigma 30 1.4 would not be my choice for landscape.
I have tried one copy of this lens and you know what - it is not soft in corners because of tha fact that the focal plane of this lens becomes a semi sphere when you focus close to infinity, the closes you get the stranger it gets. Have a look at the bokeh of this lens when it is close focusing and when it is focused to a bigger object like human which is standing far from the lens(for example 3-4m) in the corners the bokeh becomes like arrows that's because it is stretched by the deformation of the focal plane(which transforms in semi sphere). Actually you can have sharp edges even in corners, even at 1.4 but the center will be out of focus. I have some test shots to prove it, must find time to show you them. The FA35 holds much more plane like focal plane and that's why the focus in good in corners when you shoot landscape or resolution chart. It's a strange that even the FA have this problem, one of the links I have followed from pixelpeeper.com lead me to the profile of a man who have used K5 and FA35 to shoot in the mountains many landscapes. One of them which I have posted here, if you look it on 100% the center is sharp in infinity but the corners are sharp closer and in the infinity they get softer. It seems that this is a problem for those wide angle lenses.

Last edited by simbon4o; 07-08-2012 at 10:27 PM.
07-09-2012, 03:37 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Interesting points.

But I had to giggle because 'bokeh' and 'landscape' are terms you usually don't hear mentioned together.
07-09-2012, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

FA35 is the lens that is attached to my K-x when it comes out of the bag... I love it... It's my 'snapshot' lens for capturing the moment...

However... If I'm doing landscape I switch out to the FA28 or Tamron17-50... If I'm after bokeh I switch out to the FA50... Macro or candids from afar, the D-FA100...

It's a bloody great walkaround... But it is not a 'do-it-all'...

But that's OK as I have a DSLR and can switch out lenses depending on the requirements I need...
07-09-2012, 06:14 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would expect a Lens designed for full frame (FA 35) to have better corner performance than one designed for crop sensors (DC 30 1.4)
due to the intended coverage when used on aps-c.

07-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #20
Veteran Member

FA 35mm f/2

Although the bouquet is not as creamy as the FA 50mm 1.4 it is very good. However, the 35 mm focal range is similar to a normal lens in Film. If I have to choose a Prime it will be this one. This is my favorite lens of my Pentax Prime collection. This lens is perfect for indoors, low light and portraits. I simply love this lens.

My 2 cents.
07-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #21
Pentaxian

+1 for everything DaveHolmes said about this fabulous lens. It's lighter and much cheaper than FA 31 but of course not nearly the same build quality. Really versatile lens; my go-to prime when I'm not sure what I'll be shooting.
07-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had the lens for quite a while, before I bought the FA31. The only thing that made me keep 31 instead of 35 is the built quality of the FA limiteds.

But if let me choose again, I might just get the DA35/2.4. It's not much slower (definitely not more than half stop slower than 35/2 from my testing copy) w/ slightly better bokeh and much cheaper price, especially it can be bought new easily.

07-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have the lens and have quite a few shots on my Flickr for the Yoyakarta (Indonesia) set.
I shot mostly at f2.2 and f2.5 though.

Personally, I find that the bokeh from the FA35 is pretty good in most cases. The FA31ltd (3x more expensive) only wins it slightly in smoothness and rounded OOF highlights (the FA35 has hexagonal ones) when those are obvious (often from light sources).

If not for the build, and potential that FA ltds will be no more (one fine day). I'd just stick to the FA35.