Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which set of lenses is your favourite?
Set 1 2028.57%
Set 2 4767.14%
Set 3 34.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I voted for #2, which is similar to what I have now. You probably only "need" 2 of the 35, 43 and 55.

07-08-2012, 08:16 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
I voted for #2, which is similar to what I have now. You probably only "need" 2 of the 35, 43 and 55.
What a tough pick. I think if I were to pick 2 of these three, it would be the 35 LTD and 55/1.4. Regardless, the 35 would be the first pick for me.

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Most definitely Set 2. The 43/55 can replace one another. I would add the DFA100 Macro WR as an alternative to the 77.
Lenses in Set 1 are mostly only going to be available used as most are discontinued.

Which is why I voted for it by a narrow margin over #2. Hysterical
07-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #18
Veteran Member

That's what I think too Blue, as good as set 2 is; set 1 is almost all hard to get, high quality, FF glass. If you have good copies of set 1 lenses, well once you exit that set it's far harder to ever go back.

If you want a smaller more compact set of lenses well I don't think a Pentax DSLR is the best option now we're in 2012. I'd be looking a m4/3s for that role and running 2 systems.
07-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have enough trouble...

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
That's what I think too Blue, as good as set 2 is; set 1 is almost all hard to get, high quality, FF glass. If you have good copies of set 1 lenses, well once you exit that set it's far harder to ever go back.

If you want a smaller more compact set of lenses well I don't think a Pentax DSLR is the best option now we're in 2012. I'd be looking a m4/3s for that role and running 2 systems.
justifying one system. And buying into the 4/3rds thing...not for me. I'm still having trouble leaving the full frame glass behind, 'just in case'...those damned DFA's are bugging me, and the full-frame Limiteds still in production; they must at least be THINKING about it.

Cheers,
Cameron.

07-12-2012, 11:22 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I votEd for set 2, but that is because I love both the 77 and the 60-250. I would probably do a combo if I were you, keeping some of set 1and adding select parts of set 2. Since I am choosing to believe that the FF unicorn is coming, I would add the two I mentioned before and the dfa100 macro. Which to sell in set 1...well, I guess that is all in how you shoot. Look through nd determine most used and think about what you want to shoot in the future. And then pm when you go to sell because you have a few that I would like
07-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
None, I dont like any of those combos.
07-13-2012, 12:16 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I don't mind the look of set 1,but set 2.How would you not go past that!!!!

07-13-2012, 12:36 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Set 2 although I echo whether the 43 is necessary with the 35 and 55.
If nature is your game I would go with 12-24, 31, 55, 100WR Macro and 60-250.
Note this gives you 3 WR lenses aswell.
Not crazy small but I feel if you shoot wide often then having a range is nice. Also the ability to get to 24mm means sometimes you will only need one lens
The 55 and 100 will make more compact alternatives for portraits over the FA85.
07-13-2012, 12:43 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Number 2, but I would opt for the FA31 instead of the DA35. In fact, I did.
Mind you, if you are planning on offloading those FA* lenses, let me know
07-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I will, and thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Number 2, but I would opt for the FA31 instead of the DA35. In fact, I did.
Mind you, if you are planning on offloading those FA* lenses, let me know
To tell you the truth, I am back thinking about the all weatherproof set DA* 16-50 + 50-135, along with a DA*300, and the DA* 55. I'd probably add the 15 (non WR) and the 100 Macro WR to that set.

Or should I hang on to it, see if Pentax brings out a full-frame and a small set of lenses of limited availability, and then the price of the old full-frame lenses will either go through the roof, or plummet.

Argh!!!!

Thanks,
Cameron
07-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
To tell you the truth, I am back thinking about the all weatherproof set DA* 16-50 + 50-135, along with a DA*300, and the DA* 55. I'd probably add the 15 (non WR) and the 100 Macro WR to that set.
I glance at my signature would suggest I agree with you
QuoteQuote:
Or should I hang on to it, see if Pentax brings out a full-frame and a small set of lenses of limited availability, and then the price of the old full-frame lenses will either go through the roof, or plummet.

Argh!!!!
Get the lenses you want now. Although I look forward to the possibility of a full frame Pentax DSLR in my lifetime, I would not recommend waiting an indeterminate length of time for something which might not happen.
07-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's not too far from my main kit. The major difference is, I'm using the 18-135mm WR instead of the star lenses. I like having a superzoom, and I don't want to change lenses in the rain. I carry the superzoom with a 10-17 fisheye, DA 15, DA 40, D FA 100, A*300 f4 and Kenko PZ 1.5X TC. I have several other lenses that I don't normally carry in this kit.

I've been holding off buying the DA*300 until there's a viable TC, but I'm getting impatient. I may replace the 18-135 with the roadmapped DA* superzoom.
07-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since I've got nine of the fifteen lenses listed, it would be a case of which I'd be willing to lose, and even then I'd be hard put falling into one camp or another. Think I'll abstain, at least while I ponder it.
07-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #29
Veteran Member

The set to aim for me:

1) DA12-24
2) FA31
3) FA43
4) FA77
5) DA*50-135

Regards,
Mus
07-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
To tell you the truth, I am back thinking about the all weatherproof set DA* 16-50 + 50-135, along with a DA*300, and the DA* 55. I'd probably add the 15 (non WR) and the 100 Macro WR to that set. Or should I hang on to it, see if Pentax brings out a full-frame and a small set of lenses of limited availability, and then the price of the old full-frame lenses will either go through the roof, or plummet.
I voted for Set 2 but this new modified Set 3 sounds very compelling to me. I like the DA* zooms; I guess they are not incredible but they are very good. My two copies are sharp and haven't had any problems with the SDM.

The DA*16-50 of mine isn't super sharp when at f/2.8 and being used in the widest focal lengths but it's not bad and actually quite good compared to other APS-C zooms. Stopped down it's very sharp and when used with the 16mp K-5 it can be cropped down rather heavily while still delivering excellent detailed images. It's also a great lens for focusing closely. I use this lens a lot; it's a reliable work horse.

The DA*50-135 is a high quality lens. My only two quibbles with it are that it can be a little slow at focusing, like the DA*16-50 also can be, when compared to my FA Limiteds and it has a pretty long minimum focusing distance of almost 40 inches. The internal focusing and internal zoom features are awesome. It's a sharp lens even at f/2.8. It's my largest and longest FL lens so it's not my most used lens.

While I very much value having WR and have taken advantage of the feature several times I no longer think it's the most important thing since it only comes into play on occasion. The image quality of a lens is the most important to me as it impacts every picture taken and when it comes to great IQ the Limiteds deliver the goods. Owning two FA Ltds and one DA Ltd I've come to really appreciate the IQ and size of primes, as well as the shooting style they allow. Like a few others have suggested, I also recommend taking a serious second look at getting the FA31 instead of the DA35 macro. Both of those lenses are highly regarded and for good reason but I personally just wouldn't be able to give up the faster f/1.8 aperture and excellent OOF rendering of the FA31. The FA31 can focus very closely and with it resolving so well when it's coupled with a high MP camera you can simply crop to get the closer up shots if and when you want them. I just love the FA31 and it is what's most commonly mounted on my camera.

I've heard how highly revered the FA*85 is but I can see that it's a beast in terms of size. I have the much smaller FA77 and can't imagine it disappointing anyone. I already feel it's a little too tight of an AOV on APS-C in some situations so I can imagine how the FA*85 must feel.

I would probably rarely ever use a 300mm lens, though when I did I'm sure I'd be happy to have it. For my photography I simply haven't needed it and as such that long of a lens is way down on the wish list for me. You have your needs though and clearly want something that gets you at least close to that FL.

The FA* normal zoom you have could be a nice piece of glass to hold onto if it's got good performance, especially if a FF camera comes out in the next year or so.

The DA14 in your current collection would be the easiest one for me to let go of if I were in your situation. It's pretty big and from what I've read/seen not the best performer. The DA15, on the other hand, is fantastic. It's small and just a star performer. It's not fast though but that's the role you can hope the FA*24 that you have will eventually be able to fill for you once the FF camera appears. Really, it's that FA*24 in your collection that looks the nicest to me. It's a FL I would really like to have a prime for and it's got a nice wide aperture. If it's IQ is good then I'd want to hold onto it if it were mine.

I would have a hard time parting with either of my DA* zooms but it's the FA Limiteds that I simply won't let go. Even if I were to ever switch to another system, like to move up to FF, I would keep a Pentax body and my Limiteds. I wouldn't consider selling them to fund something else. I'm just too happy and in love with them.

Anyway, that's a glimpse at my thoughts and feelings on your dilemma. My advice: Don't make any impulsive or rushed decisions but at the same time don't put a decision off that's keeping you from getting out there and capturing the images you want. Best of luck figuring it out!

Last edited by TomTextura; 07-14-2012 at 10:28 PM.