Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2008, 07:13 PM   #1

Pentax SMC 135mm F/2.5 ( Not Takumar )

hey all

I can buy this lens for 90 . What do you think ? Is this a good price ? Is this lens good ? I have heard good things about this lens , but I would like to hear some first hand experiences . And one last question ... if I don't like the lens , how much can I sell it for ( ebay ) ?

Thank you !

EDIT : I just want to clarify that this is the SMC version not the TAKUMAR Bayonet .

01-24-2008, 08:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mer Quote
hey all

I can buy this lens for 90 . What do you think ? Is this a good price ? Is this lens good ? I have heard good things about this lens , but I would like to hear some first hand experiences . And one last question ... if I don't like the lens , how much can I sell it for ( ebay ) ?

Thank you !

EDIT : I just want to clarify that this is the SMC version not the TAKUMAR Bayonet .
I bought one for $125 cdn before christmas. at typical UK to CDn price ratio of 2:1 this seems fair.

I took mine out to play in a green house last week, images from my *istD are just as sharp and have as much or more contrast than my brand new 28-70 Tamron f2.8 which is also an incredible lens.

Also for fun, I put a 1 diopter close up lens on it. You get incredible working distance for close ups.

You should also look for the lens hood for it.
01-25-2008, 12:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi mer

QuoteOriginally posted by mer Quote
hey all

Thank you !

I have got the lens and like it quite a lot. I think its wide-open performance is better than FA135/2.8 (but please remember it is all relative, both lenses are excellent lenses) and is a little faster. The build quality is top notch but a little heavy.

Here are some old photos I have taken with this lens + DS last year:

4. And this one was taken with a Sony close-up adaptor:

Oh, price-wise, that sounds quite reasonable I think. I got mine for about $200.

cheers

Kenny
01-25-2008, 05:17 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would say it is a good price and it is a VERY good lens. It's my favorite medium tele bar none! A tad heavy but smooth easy focusing, excellent contrast and sharp sharp sharp!
A sample:

NaCl(has "cult status" amongst some of us)H2O

01-25-2008, 06:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Wow Kenny ... that's a nice shot of the white Waratah ... I was hoping to get some for the normal Waratah while I was at the Botanical Gardens .. but I was out of season.