Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It shows that even legendary lens makers can have a bad day

300mm mirrors are much easier to handle and focus, but still need a good really deep hood, especially on APS sensors. Handheld at 1/125 :

Last edited by kh1234567890; 07-10-2012 at 06:15 PM.
07-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's a very cool picture. The bokeh is especially interesting. It makes the out of focus areas kind of look like an impressionist painting.
07-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bonitap Quote
As you state, the results are not a surprise. But I continue to be wowed by the 150-500 I purchased from you.
I'm glad you're enjoying the lens. Now you just need to purchase the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 HSM I have for sale in the Marketplace to go along with your 150-500mm. Looking at your signature, it looks like maybe the 50-150mm could replace two or three of your other lenses.
07-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I agree wtih the observation the mirror lenses on general are mot well optimized for short focus distances. i have the Vivitar-branded version of this same Samyang-made lens, and while it just as lousy as your image shows at diatances under 20 feet or so, it gets very mich better with distance. See the Mirror Lens Club thread for more examples, but here are a couple I've posted before and still have easy access to:

07-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting observations. I'll see if I have time tomorrow to try some longer, outdoor shots. Although I'm in Indiana, so I'll need a lens much, much longer than 500mm to get a picture of any mountain goats. In the meantime, I'll put my 3-yoa and 5-yoa daughters to work on a lens hood.
07-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Hood helps too, but I actually don't have one that works for this lens. I found a couple that are close but no cigar. But I do you my hand. And expect to need to put up contrast in PP - that's actually more important than sharpness here, I'd say.
07-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Aren't mirror lenses also known for being extra crappy at close distances? It might do somewhat better outdoors shooting far away subjects.
Yes, the minimum distance is quite high.
I have the 800mm f8 and the minimum focus distance is 11ft.
I have gotten significantly sharper pictures with it than what the OP posted. I don't have any other lens in that focal length to compare with.

See :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/187107-wh...ml#post1963885
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/187107-wh...ml#post1963959
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/187107-wh...ml#post1965023
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/187107-wh...ml#post1965035
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/71775-mirror-lens-club-40.html#post1971446
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/71775-mirror-lens-club-40.html#post1972893
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/71775-mirror-lens-club-40.html#post1990587

07-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a Tokina 500mm f8 mirror lens, and it makes some very fine photos. Mine was actually Contax mount that I converted to Pentax. (I drilled holes in the bayonet from a set of extension tubes and then screwed it in place of the contax bayonet). It's a very nice lens, with good contrast and saturation, and I've been surprised by how NICE it is for macro shots. It has no problem focusing close whatsoever.

Charles
07-12-2012, 03:36 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote

Shutter was released remotely via my Dish Network 622 DVR remote control,

I'm wondering how does that work, can you shine a bit of light on this?
07-12-2012, 05:52 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chongmic Quote
I'm wondering how does that work, can you shine a bit of light on this?
Yeah, my Dish Network remote control can be used to trigger my K-x. When the remote is in "TV" mode, the "swap" button activates the shutter. I would just point out that this apparently doesn't work with every iteration of the remote, since my upstairs remote (ver 6.3) does not work, but the downstairs one does (ver 5.3). I have three different dedicated camera remotes, but I like to use the Dish remote since it is the most powerful IR remote I've ever used. It doesn't matter too much what direction it's pointed in, and how strong sunlight is in the room. I also have a newer remote (a black one) but it does not seem to put out as strong an IR signal as the older ones.

Apparently there are a variety of different remotes that happen to put out the proper signal to activate the shutter when the proper button is pushed. Here are a couple comments I found using a Google search:

"Our Sony TV remote (model RM-954) fires my K100D with the "Favorite" button."

"There are two buttons on the remote from my PS2 that work, as well as a button on our Sony TV remote."
07-12-2012, 08:44 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Yeah, my Dish Network remote control can be used to trigger my K-x. When the remote is in "TV" mode, the "swap" button activates the shutter. I would just point out that this apparently doesn't work with every iteration of the remote, since my upstairs remote (ver 6.3) does not work, but the downstairs one does (ver 5.3). I have three different dedicated camera remotes, but I like to use the Dish remote since it is the most powerful IR remote I've ever used. It doesn't matter too much what direction it's pointed in, and how strong sunlight is in the room. I also have a newer remote (a black one) but it does not seem to put out as strong an IR signal as the older ones.

Apparently there are a variety of different remotes that happen to put out the proper signal to activate the shutter when the proper button is pushed. Here are a couple comments I found using a Google search:

"Our Sony TV remote (model RM-954) fires my K100D with the "Favorite" button."

"There are two buttons on the remote from my PS2 that work, as well as a button on our Sony TV remote."
The TV button will be programmed to a particular model of television using one of 1000s of different codes, so the "swap" button won't always be the same for everybody. But if you figured out the correct code to program in, you could use the AUX or DVD buttons if they aren't programmed to something else (so you don't lose control of your TV). Any programmable remote could be used if you figure out the correct code (some can be programmed by pointing another remote into them so you don't need the code, but you need another remote that works first).
07-12-2012, 08:57 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The TV button will be programmed to a particular model of television using one of 1000s of different codes, so the "swap" button won't always be the same for everybody.
Good point, I hadn't thought of that. That certainly explains why one of the remotes works, and the other doesn't. I believe the one that works used to be programmed for my old Sony 1080i CRT projection TV.
07-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The TV button will be programmed to a particular model of television using one of 1000s of different codes, so the "swap" button won't always be the same for everybody. But if you figured out the correct code to program in, you could use the AUX or DVD buttons if they aren't programmed to something else (so you don't lose control of your TV). Any programmable remote could be used if you figure out the correct code (some can be programmed by pointing another remote into them so you don't need the code, but you need another remote that works first).
What struck me in reading this thread is that TV remotes, which are designed to work indoors away from direct sun IR interference, are so much stronger than the Pentax K remote which is, presumably, supposed to work outdoors under direct sunlight. You'd think that if an IR remote was designed to work outside it would, of necessity, be stronger.
07-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Yes, the minimum distance is quite high.
I have the 800mm f8 and the minimum focus distance is 11ft.
The Tamron SP 500mm mirror can focus as close as 1.7m (66.7") for a full frame magnification of 1:3 (or 1:2 on crop factor). It makes a very interesting macro lens with unique rendering and safe distance from subjects.
07-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
What struck me in reading this thread is that TV remotes, which are designed to work indoors away from direct sun IR interference, are so much stronger than the Pentax K remote which is, presumably, supposed to work outdoors under direct sunlight. You'd think that if an IR remote was designed to work outside it would, of necessity, be stronger.
Probably a function of the battery -- a remote is going to have 2-4 AA or AAA batteries in it and a camera remote a single watch battery. Also the tv remotes often have multiple IR nodes in a "spray" pattern. So I just think they are stronger and less directional -- I can bounce my dish remote off the wall behind me and it still works.