Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2012, 03:55 AM - 1 Like   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Normal Lens Shootout- 40mm ltd, 40mm xs, 35mm f2.4

Here's our latest review, written by deadwolfbones, who also authored our top review, the 16-50mm and 17-50mm comparison.

Hope you enjoy!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/da-35mm-40mm-limited-xs-shootout/introduction.html

07-11-2012, 05:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
sharpness of the 40 ltd sample is so bad.........
edge is even worse than my 16-50
07-11-2012, 05:29 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
I have to ask, given that the 40 XS and Ltd have the same optical formula, how can the Ltd be so much less sharp than the XS? And is that really a solid basis to say the sharpness of any sample of an XS is better than that of any sample of a Ltd? At least, that's how I interpret the marks they get.
07-11-2012, 05:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think the review is well-written and quite comprehensive. Too bad the 40mm limited seems to have been a bad copy. The only thing I would like to point out is that the sharpness test with the landscape seems to have been taken in a desert, which is not good for a lens test - bright lights, not much content in the frame, a lot of hot air rising from the ground, creating distortions. Of course, if that is where the reviewer lives, there isnt much to be done. Maybe early morning shot of a straight street in a city?

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
sharpness of the 40 ltd sample is so bad.........
QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
Could it not just be sample variation?
Yes, the reviewer even states they had better performing 40mm ltd samples in the past and that there is probably something wrong with the particular copy he has.

07-11-2012, 06:17 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Cool Adam.

Now get a good copy of the DA 40 LTD and do one of these for the 40 XS, 40 LTD, and 43 LTd. HeadBanger
07-11-2012, 07:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
However, the true normal focal length, i.e. the one that most closely approximates the field of view of the human eye, is 43mm. This is why Pentax released...
ಠ_ಠ

<sigh>
07-11-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think the review is well-written and quite comprehensive. Too bad the 40mm limited seems to have been a bad copy. The only thing I would like to point out is that the sharpness test with the landscape seems to have been taken in a desert, which is not good for a lens test - bright lights, not much content in the frame, a lot of hot air rising from the ground, creating distortions. Of course, if that is where the reviewer lives, there isnt much to be done. Maybe early morning shot of a straight street in a city?
Yeah, unfortunately it was the best position nearby to get a full infinity shot without things blocking the horizon. I did do the second field test with a closer subject to try to avoid the heat shimmer, etc.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. And to the person who pointed out the front focus/back focus discrepancy in the review comments on the main page, yeah... simple typo. I'm sure Adam will fix that one.