Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
@magkelly Off topic, but I notice you use the word "arse" rather than "ass". Are you by any chance an expat Brit?
No, it's a family/cultural influence thing. My Father's parents who I grew up around a lot were both the immigrant children of people from over in the UK. British and Irish people respectively. My Gran and Grandpa they ended up with a NY accent but they still said and did certain things that they said that were very much British/Irish and I picked a lot of that up as a kid being around them. Also, I watched a lot of BBC TV as a little kid. I'm very much an anglophile in some ways. It's not affected though, it's just something I've picked up practically from birth. I've also dated a lot of UK guys ever since I was first allowed to date. It's a thing with me, UK guys, so I've probably gotten it from them too, I guess. I actually prefer arse to ass though. Arse is just nicer sounding to me for some reason. My Gran she used that instead. Didn't consider that cussing where as ass she did. I never got my mouth washed out for arse let's put it that way. LOL

07-17-2012, 07:00 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Comes down to how knowledgeable, or presumably informed, the seller is when they make that decision. Sometimes, from what I gather from eBay materials, it will result in a higher final sale price if you start a no reserve auction at $1 rather than somewhere close to the fair market value. When a company makes that decision they are gambling that they will make more money. Sometimes gambles do not pay off. In that case I would not hesitate to bid on the lower end. I've actually been in that situation as both the seller and the buyer. As a seller it did not work out for me, and neither did it as the buyer come to think about it
Point is, we don't know if it's company making that gamble, or an poor old lady not knowing what to sell her late husbands legacy lens for. We just place that low bid and hope nobody else notices the auction.

Same thing, an ebay auction titled: "Pnetax FA 85 1.4" with starting bid $200. I whish I would stumble upon that one! Would you contact the seller to tell him about the spelling mistake that hides his auction from sight?
07-17-2012, 07:06 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Point is, we don't know if it's company making that gamble, or an poor old lady not knowing what to sell her late husbands legacy lens for. We just place that low bid and hope nobody else notices the auction.

Same thing, an ebay auction titled: "Pnetax FA 85 1.4" with starting bid $200. I whish I would stumble upon that one! Would you contact the seller to tell him about the spelling mistake that hides his auction from sight?
No it's not that simple. eBay lists the number of sales for each seller rather clearly and prominently. That serves as a fair indicator of whether the person is an amateur or a pro at eBay. Outside of philosophers fantasies and theologians musings perfection does not exist. So, its all well and good to try to achieve some level of perfection but, alas, we are both dealing with humans and one ourselves. As for your example, I have written to eBay sellers before to make certain they had not made a mistake in their listing, yes. Can I know if all the listings I have bid upon were done in a fully informed and intentional way, no.
07-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Would you contact the seller to tell him about the spelling mistake that hides his auction from sight?
Yes.

-Heie