Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-11-2012, 04:18 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Am I a saint or a fool?

Reminded of a recent occurrence by this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/192079-theft-taking.html

There was some woman selling her late father's K-2 camera and assorted accessories. I clicked on the listing and saw in the item details "...blah blah blah and a 50mm F1.2 lens". I did a double take and mailed for confirmation as to whether it was 1.2 or 1:2 (that little bit of punctuation makes such a difference, does it not?). She confirmed that it was, indeed, a K1.2 and I was faced with a dilemma: take advantage of the fact that she didn't know what she had or do the right thing and tell her.

My conscience got the better of me and I told her that she should be selling the lens not the camera body. She relisted it and it ended up going for more than I was prepared to pay.

07-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since you're human, a little of both, I'd imagine.

My own, personal opinion: research is so easy these days on the Internet, the onus is truly as much on the seller as on the buyer when it comes to these transactions.

Oh, and oddly enough: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/192079-theft-taking.html
07-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

If someone doesn't know what they have and it is an auction format, I'm not going to tell them, because usually others will notice as well and the price will be plenty high. If they are giving something away with a BIN sale, I'd probably tell them, but maybe along with an offer that is fair but still a good deal for me...
07-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Good for you! Good deeds are their own reward.

Last edited by Docrwm; 07-11-2012 at 05:33 PM.
07-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It really depends upon what it is and the person as to whether or not I'd advise them. I do that with people I like a lot. I don't like to see people get ripped off but a lot of the time you chat with someone on CL or wherever and they're total arses. I'm not going to help someone like that out. Nor am I going to be totally nice to the point of being stupid. If some guy has a pristine black SPII and a nice Tak or three listed for $40 do you really think I am going to tell him that he's an idiot and that he needs to do his homework? All it takes is a 30 second Google or a quick look on Ebay to realize that a set up like that is worth several hundred dollars. I'm nice, but I'm not THAT nice. Most of the time if it's something I don't particularly want I do actually email and advise people. In fact I just did that with some guy and a lens on CL. He had a Viv in a mount I don't use priced way under what it should have been. I let him know what mount and how much and he was very grateful to read that. I pick my moments to be helpful at least when it comes to strangers. I'm much better with people I hang with on boards and at doll shows. There's a certain code of honor with acquaintances and friends. With total arses on CL? I just smile, just take it, and RUN.
07-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
Voe
Veteran Member

No offence, but I think is foolish to think you are a saint. But what you did i find it noble.
07-11-2012, 10:22 PM   #7

That was very kind of you. If I had been the seller I would have offered it to you at a discount but tnen agiain I am no saint I just sold a slightly fungus damaged lens to a dealer and got good condition money for it. Aren't I a bad boy. Still smiling.

07-11-2012, 10:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Good for you! Good deeds are their own reward.
+1.

My sentiments exactly.
07-12-2012, 04:49 AM   #9
Pentaxian

When I see something underpriced, I usually make an offer that's higher than the asked price, but still a good deal for me, while telling the seller that the item is worth more than the asking price. If they want to research and sell for more, too bad, if they accept, good for both of us! I figure if they get more than they expected, then to them it's a good deal, and I'm not stealing anything.
07-12-2012, 05:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
When I see something underpriced, I usually make an offer that's higher than the asked price, but still a good deal for me, while telling the seller that the item is worth more than the asking price. If they want to research and sell for more, too bad, if they accept, good for both of us! I figure if they get more than they expected, then to them it's a good deal, and I'm not stealing anything.
I think that's a creative approach that would make both parties happy.

I've seen some make a distinction between buying from an individual or from a store. I too hold professionals to a higher standard, so if a camera dealer is selling it I will buy it without comment as they ought to know their trade. However, if an individual is selling it - particularly a family member of the deceased - then I feel an obligation to point out their lack of knowledge may well harm them financially. Everyone has to make these decisions for themselves.
07-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I think that's a creative approach that would make both parties happy.

I've seen some make a distinction between buying from an individual or from a store. I too hold professionals to a higher standard, so if a camera dealer is selling it I will buy it without comment as they ought to know their trade. However, if an individual is selling it - particularly a family member of the deceased - then I feel an obligation to point out their lack of knowledge may well harm them financially. Everyone has to make these decisions for themselves.
Yeah, I've cleaned up on deals from the camera store several times. And places like the antique mall where you can't even talk to the actual dealer even if you want to. Always amusing when I get something rare for 1/3 of what it is worth (or sometimes something valuable out of the junk bin for basically nothing) and then also in the case they've got super-common items for triple the common price.
07-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by top-quark Quote
My conscience got the better of me and I told her that she should be selling the lens not the camera body.
That was very kind.
And in this day and age: definitely a saint.
07-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

A lady here was selling "Some pentax stuff" for $1. Listed in an odd category, so had been there for a week or two. Included a K35/3.5, mentioned in the ad, which was in fine shape when I went to check it out. I gave her $20, for which she was quite pleased. I'm no saint!
07-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

an honest person, nothing more , nothing less. be satisfied with that
07-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
an honest person, nothing more , nothing less. be satisfied with that
Wise words.