Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Be happy, in our house, there is a "him and her list" that is just completely out of control... on the lists are the Sigma 8-16, Tamron 10-24, FA 31, FA 77, Tamron 70-200 2.8, DA 15, now you're saying if I get the 43 as well, I'll have collected some kind of collector's set? OK then just ad the 43 to the list, may as well... you'd thinkn I was lens deprived or something...
It is always better to have the sets With the DA* zooms I started with the 50-135, then came the 16-50...well it was only a matter of time until I finished off that trio! And then I was kicking myself for not having purchased the 60-250 first because it is my favorite of the three.

With this set I started with a black MIJ FA77...so then that means for my set they all have to be black MIJ. I like the silver, but even though my husband can't say anything having a silver lens would indicate that I had purchased something. At least the black ones all look the same to him. When I win the lottery (and yes, this is wishful thinking) I will complete the three amigos trio again but all in silver! For now I will just focus on Black MIJ FA 31 ltd.

07-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Allison-- Ask and you shall receive: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/192463-sale-f...1-8-black.html

You can't resist it!
07-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
You can't resist it!
That's just mean...
07-14-2012, 11:30 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
I know, I saw it...and it is hard to resist! What were the chances that the black MIJ 31 was posed right after I made that statement!?!

I am still waiting for the 43 to arrive, but at today's wedding shooting with the 77 was just so magical. That lens is just sheer perfection for me. Occasionally, it was too long and I went to the da35ltd - and I was blown away by that too, but would the 31 be even better? And I was still taking advantage of the 35s macro and quick shift, so I feel like I would keep it at least until the unicorn with a FF makes a visit to Pentax. And here I go down the road to justifying another lens...

I really need to wait until the wedding every weekend stretch of September and October. I will have a lot more coming in then and I will feel much less guilty about a lens purchase.

07-15-2012, 12:11 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

I could quit LBA any time The FA31 is every bit as good as the FA77, they are the 2 best lenses I own.

07-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
@Twitch Impressive collection you have there! I fully agree that the FA31 and FA77 are amazing lenses. I wouldn't exactly want to part with my DA* zooms but I'd consider it and probably follow through with it if there were something better to put in my kit after selling them. When I try to imagine that hypothetical with my two FA Limiteds it's unfathomable that there'd be anything better. I'm keeping a solid tight grip on my FA Limiteds! A little off topic but can you share your opinion of the FA*24 in your collection? That's a focal length I'd really like to have, and with a fast aperture, and in the event of a FF release from Pentax.
07-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
@Twitch A little off topic but can you share your opinion of the FA*24 in your collection? That's a focal length I'd really like to have, and with a fast aperture, and in the event of a FF release from Pentax.
Yes, I would love to know how you like the 24 too. My 28 is manual and good, but not near the reported quality of the 24. I am wondering if it has those same special qualities that the 31 and 77 have.
07-15-2012, 11:05 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
I think the 31 will have to wait until next year....but should I pull the trigger on the 43?
Wrong. Get 31 now and 43 next year; that way there is a chance that you might not need the 43 (although you might still want it).

07-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Well, she already bought the 43 and it will be delivered to her soon if not already. I have heard that people with 31 don't think they need the 43 because it's a little close in focal length. But then again, there are plenty of folks with both. They are certainly different in size, the 31 is larger and heavier and the 43 is a pancake (without hood). Allison, please report back at some point after you've had a chance to shoot with the 43 and let me know if you think it's worth getting! I read someone's review of the DA 40 and they said that it does not overlap or compete too much with the 43 because of the apertures-- for times when he needs f/1.9-2.5, he reaches for the 43. Then again, I've read people's comments who think the 43 does not offer enough optical improvement over the 40 to justify the additional cost... ah, LBA, I wish I knew how to quit you!
07-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, I would love to know how you like the 24 too. My 28 is manual and good, but not near the reported quality of the 24. I am wondering if it has those same special qualities that the 31 and 77 have.
wide open center sharpness/micro contrast - check
wide open contrast - better than FA31 or FA77
corner to corner sharpness by f5.6 - check (although FA31 is extreme-corner sharp from f2.8)
FA-limited-like color - check
FA limited-like pixie dust - check
solid-brick feel of high quality metal construction - check
size - you know this already,, the 24 is longer and thicker than any other FA limited
look - looks cheap next to the silver FA limited

sample photos from my first day out with this lens (just testing so don't expect too much, and I am typically no good at using WA lens)

This one was shot wide open with almost no processing other than converting to raw and some exposure/brightness/contrast sliders, with sharpness at 0.

Last edited by chesebert; 07-16-2012 at 08:18 AM.
07-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chesebert Quote
FA limited-like pixie dust - check

This one was shot wide open with almost no processing other than converting to raw and some exposure/brightness/contrast sliders, with sharpness at 0.
Well, it has the two things I am looking for - pixie dust and sharpness But this lens will wait since I have my old 28. Is the 24 better - clearly (and you have totally made me want it btw), but I think the 31 stays next in line so I can get that set finished.
07-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Once you have completed the FA limited set, I think you might want to get a wide angle prime of some kind, even if it's APS-C only like DA 15 or DA 21. Or if you want to keep on the FF track, then get a FA 20 f/2.8 or the FA* 24. I have a Sigma AF 24mm f/2.8 Super-Wide II which is sharp, very reasonably priced, and it's also FF compatible. It's downside is its so-so construction-- while it has an all-metal build, it lacks the refinement and quality of the FA* lens, to be sure.

According to this thread, the Sigma lens compares well with the FA 24, especially considering the price difference:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/150177-sigma-2...da-21mm-2.html

And one is selling right now here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/192445-sale-p...erwide-ii.html

LBA!!
07-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Wrong. Get 31 now and 43 next year; that way there is a chance that you might not need the 43 (although you might still want it).
Well, she already bought the 43 and it will be delivered to her soon if not already. I have heard that people with 31 don't think they need the 43 because it's a little close in focal length.
Yes, sterretje, I did already pull the trigger on the 43. I didn't go 31 first because I have an M 28 and the DA35ltd. It just seemed like I was a little redundant in that focal range. I do have a FA50 1.4, which I like and made the 43 a little bit more of a luxury buy, but for some wedding shots I wanted something that would match the IQ of the 77 in the normal range. You know, pixie dust and all. I am still pretty amazed by the IQ of the 35ltd, so I haven't felt the same need for the 31...yet.

I will likely finish out the FA limited set by the end of the year. I am actually starting to think about doing it by September just in the offhand chance that they announce a FF at Photokina.

Once you have completed the FA limited set, I think you might want to get a wide angle prime of some kind, even if it's APS-C only like DA 15 or DA 21. Or if you want to keep on the FF track, then get a FA 20 f/2.8 or the FA* 24.
And this is just a big help. Don't worry, I have already begun thinking about something wide and prime. I do have this focal length covered by zooms (10-17 fisheye and the 12-24). I need to do a little searching. I have an old fisheye from my dad's collection, but I never put it on the K-5 because of the crop. I want that FA*24 for all of the reasons why I wanted the FA limiteds, but I would prefer if it was wider. This is the part of LBA where I obsess over the options and do a ton of research before I commit to my next purchase.
07-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I want that FA*24 for all of the reasons why I wanted the FA limiteds, but I would prefer if it was wider.
So it sounds like a FA 20mm f/2.8 may be in your future. Keep a lookout for one on the Marketplace; they're pretty rarely offered for sale!
Pentax-FA 20mm F2.8 - Review - PentaxForums.com
07-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am actually kind of hoping that when they announce a FF that they will also announce a few new primes. They will need something wide in production if they are going to go FF. So that might be one that unless a great deal comes up in the marketplace, I will wait for a FF announcement and the new lenses that will come with it. You are a bad influence. I need to just focus my LBA on a black MIJ 31 at the right price for the next several months.