Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
give in or fight lba?

Okay...so I purchased the da35ltd marco and the dfa100 macro on the same day in April. In May, I purchased a fa77ltd (MIJ) copy). I thought I was done for the year...but...now I can buy the fa43ltd (MIJ).

I wasn't thinking about this lens until I got the 77 and the 77 is amazing. I have been going nuts with all of those lenses at weddings, but the 77 and the pixiedust and all. So I started thinking about the possibility of that fa ltd trio. I think the 31 will have to wait until next year....but should I pull the trigger on the 43? Do I feed the lba or fight it?

07-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter

From the sound of it: you are enjoying it.

From your signature: you can afford it.

Might as well give in...
07-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
give in
07-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter

You know you can only resist for awhile anyway, just give in now and avoid all the pain.

07-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #5
Pentaxian

You started down the limited prime lens road so might as well keep going... Can you justify having both FA 43 and FA 50? That is, are there times when you would use one over the other? Or do you think, in reality, you'll just stick with FA43, leaving your FA 50 unused except for the times when you really need f/1.4?

I'm saying all this because I too have been tempted by FA43 in recent months... but since I already own FA50, DA40, and FA35, it just doesn't make that much practical sense. It's a true luxury lens to be sure, but sometimes we have to treat ourselves, right?? Plus, the pixie dust!!
07-13-2012, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Give in. One of the best reason's for anyone to shoot pentax is the three amigos
07-13-2012, 08:01 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Fight your wife, fight your boss (for me it is also my wife ), fight everything but LBA
07-13-2012, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

although sometimes you have to fight your wife over buying more lenses... that's where having separate bank accounts/credit cards comes in handy!

07-13-2012, 09:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
although sometimes you have to fight your wife over buying more lenses... that's where having separate bank accounts/credit cards comes in handy!
Yes to the separate accounts! Since mine is attached to my business, it is necessary for that. And he can't say much when I buy new gear since he plays ice hockey. He buys $150-$200 sticks all of the time and then they break. At least I could always sell a lens when in a bind.

As to the justifying the FA50 and the FA43ltd...that is why I haven't gone for the 43 in the past. I just felt they were too close. My 50 is already under used except when I have to have 1.4 for bad light at a ceremony or reception. I thought about selling the 50 to justify the 43, but what if I need the 1.4 at some point? Plus, I got the 50 for a good price a couple of years ago - if I decide I want it back then I will have to pay more for it.

I do have an *istDL that I need to get rid of (with the kit) and another zoom that I happily retired from regular use a while ago. Selling those and my unused Crumpler Brazillion Dollar Home will go a long way to justifying (in my head) the purchase of the 43 - which I made last night. Plus, the 77 has been amazing for portraits, but sometimes a little long when there is a couple. So I am thinking I need the pixie dust magic on a slightly wider lends for the portrait session part of a wedding.

So now that I have two of the three amigos I might as well begin the process of justifying a black MIJ fa31ltd when I see it available for an acceptable price....and this is how lba continues.
07-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
I'm saying all this because I too have been tempted by FA43 in recent months... but since I already own FA50, DA40, and FA35, it just doesn't make that much practical sense. It's a true luxury lens to be sure, but sometimes we have to treat ourselves, right?? Plus, the pixie dust!!
I would have a hard time justifying if I had the DA40...I would likely sell the 40 but keep the 35 and the 50, but that's just me. I am choosing to believe in the unicorn with a FF digital pentax around it's horn, so I am now in this process of trying to position myself for a smooth FF transition.

Redundancy is why I haven't absolutely settled on the 31 yet - I have a manual 28 and the DA35ltd. Is a 35 macro enough to justify keeping that lens? And I am never getting rid of the 28 because it was my dad's we get a kick out of using his old lens on my new camera. That said, I have all of my prime lengths covered by my DA* zooms...so maybe redundancy doesn't bother me that much!

How is that DFA100 treating you, btw?
07-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Be happy, in our house, there is a "him and her list" that is just completely out of control... on the lists are the Sigma 8-16, Tamron 10-24, FA 31, FA 77, Tamron 70-200 2.8, DA 15, now you're saying if I get the 43 as well, I'll have collected some kind of collector's set? OK then just ad the 43 to the list, may as well... you'd thinkn I was lens deprived or something...
07-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

If you can afford it, give in, then evaluate what you use after awhile. It's a process to see what works best with your shooting style, I think.
07-13-2012, 09:29 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
How is that DFA100 treating you, btw?
It's amazing! Haven't used it as much as I'd like to just yet, but I find it's an excellent lens as a lightweight medium telephoto, and obviously as a macro. Love the build quality too; haven't tested the WR feature because I have bought my K-30 yet... I've taken one particularly great shot of my daughter eating water melon that I turned into a large 16x20 canvas print-- it's hanging up in her room right now!

QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
I would have a hard time justifying if I had the DA40...I would likely sell the 40 but keep the 35 and the 50, but that's just me.
Yep, I think if I got a FA43, I'd compare it to my DA40, and see if there is any reason to keep the DA40. I'm a bit worried about the slower autofocus of the FA43 versus DA40 but I really like the f/1.9 and I want a taste of my first FA limited lens! But I do like how small the DA40 makes my camera...

I think you should keep your FA50 for now especially if it didn't cost you that much to begin with. f/1.4 is handy for specific purposes.

If you can someday afford the FA31 MIJ, I say you pull that trigger... and still keep the DA35 macro because it's nice to have such a close-focusing lens at that focal length. But I agree it might be redundant and you'll likely use the FA31 far more often than the DA35 macro because of the speed difference.

obviously keep your SMC M 28/2.8. I recently got a smc-F 28mm and it's wonderful! But I think it's because I know that I'll never be able to afford a FA31...
07-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Be happy, in our house, there is a "him and her list" that is just completely out of control... on the lists are the Sigma 8-16, Tamron 10-24, FA 31, FA 77, Tamron 70-200 2.8, DA 15, now you're saying if I get the 43 as well, I'll have collected some kind of collector's set? OK then just ad the 43 to the list, may as well... you'd thinkn I was lens deprived or something...
Not lens deprived, just Limited deprived!

The 43mm was the first FA Limited for me, then I tried out a 77 and was unimpressed by the comparison. But now I've added the 31mm to my pile, and that means I'm looking for a matching silver 77mm despite my earlier experience... strange how this LBA works!
07-13-2012, 10:26 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Wait: are you suggesting that LBA can be fought? . What a concept.

With return policies and a strong resale market, my immune system is really low against LBA.