Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2008, 05:29 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Can I see a photo of where it says APO? I still don't see a APO for Pentax yet online.
The Bigma is APO no matter what the mount, the only difference is the SDM that is on Canikon but not on others.

01-26-2008, 05:42 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Can I see a photo of where it says APO? I still don't see a APO for Pentax yet online.
It is a Sigma lens and here is the label on the lens:

01-26-2008, 05:47 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
I'll tell you what. Once I get rid of these two M 50mm f/1.4 lens that I bought, for who knows why, I am, as is Tom, going to stop buying lens. Yep, no more. I have to stop.
For sure. I promise. No more.......

Now please, no comments about girls on TV commercials laughing uncontrolably...
I was thinking about selling another lens... Ed, do you need a new wide angle lens? You are curious now, admit it. Aren't you? For you, a special price. Are you interested in a 15mm rectilinear f/1.8 lens? Ha ha ha ha ha!! (Sorry no such animal - to my knowledge in a Pentax mount)

Just messin' with ya!
01-26-2008, 05:49 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
From one Tom to another Tom, congratulations! That looks like just the right size "walk around" lens. Yeah, right.
Ya, I am going to see the doctor about the pain in my neck from the neck strap. My wife says that it all about size with men....

01-26-2008, 06:12 PM   #35
Inactive Account

Hi Tom

I think you may have possibly misconstrued her intentions when you said:

QuoteQuote:
My wife says that it's all about size with men............
.....I think she was actually referring to those familiar little 'sighs' of resignation you hear from her when you've been indulging in LBA yet again.....You see, sighs does matter after all !!!!!

Best regards
Richard
01-26-2008, 06:17 PM   #36
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by TomInJax Quote
I was thinking about selling another lens... Are you interested in a 15mm rectilinear f/1.8 lens? Ha ha ha ha ha!! (Sorry no such animal - to my knowledge in a Pentax mount)
Just messin' with ya!
You just had to go and let me down, didn't you. I was just getting ready to see how much more room there is on the Credit Card.

and, to make sure my wife wasn't looking over my shoulder
01-26-2008, 06:29 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote
Always want one of these lenses, but so difficult to get hold of in the UK with K mount. So as an interim, I got hold of the 170-500mm Sigma. Its about as big but is not an EX lens :-(
However, its still pretty good. If anyone is interested, I have some shots taken with it on my flickr account, go to the Donna Nook set to see images taken with it.

One of these days I will get hold of a Bigma, and maybe a Sigmonster if Sigma will build me one with a Pentax mount (they have done in the past) - In case you are wondering the Sigmonster is the 300-800mm lens

My Flickr account is - Flickr: Photos from Offertonhatter
All I can say is: WOW! Your photography ain't bad either!

I read the review by Pop Photo of the Sigmonster. To carry it you sling it over your shoulder as you walk!?!?!?

Oh, the price? $7000 at B&H!! I won't be rushing out to get one soon. But - the MTF graphs show amazing sharpness and contrast! It must be a performer at that price!

And yes, you have some extremely beautiful shots! I just wish that Flickr would let me view at higher resolution. Your photos deserve it!

01-26-2008, 10:01 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Uh Tom? I've got some bad news for you....according to Lance B who coined the term LBA, "There is no cure for LBA".
BTW, Congrats on your new score. may I suggest arm exercises?

NaCl(I give you about a month before you start lusting after some other piece of glass)H2O
No, there is no known cure--it just goes into remission caused by either an empty bank account or a temporary burst of sanity.

Heather
01-26-2008, 10:05 PM   #39
Veteran Member

If this keeps up, I will have to work at a second job to pay for my LBA!!
Then you won't have time to use all that glass that you're working so hard to buy.

Heather
01-26-2008, 10:09 PM   #40
Veteran Member

When did they start making the APO for the pentax? I can't find it.
Anyway your are a bad man. lol lol ..... I want one so bad....sob sob.
Well, if you're nice to Tom, perhaps the 2 of you could get together (since you're both in Florida) and he might let you play with it a little. Although the Bigma isn't on my lens want list, I wouldn't mind playing with it a little myself just to see what it would be like to use a lens of such a large range. If I were to ever get one, that would mean that DH would have to go with me anytime I wanted to use it, so he could help me hold up one end of it while we are walking to our shooting locations. Since he's already there when I want to shoot, he could also function as a free-standing monopod.

Seriously, if you want to save your neck, then perhaps you can get a small cart to haul Bigma around in. A tripod will take care of support during shooting.

One way that DH and I deal with the money issues is that we have his, hers, and ours checking accounts. We each get an allowance on our respective paydays that goes into the his or hers account. We are free to do whatever with the money, therefore I don't have to tell DH how much I spend on gear if I don't want to. We've been married almost 8 years and it's worked pretty well for us.

Heather

Last edited by heatherslightbox; 01-26-2008 at 10:23 PM.
01-26-2008, 10:14 PM   #41
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tbear Quote
I knew the Bigma was big, but holy cow, they should call it the Hugema!
Ya! I'm seriously surprised. I didn't know it extended like that at all. Thought with 'internal focus' it held the same length too. Woe was I wrong after all this time.
01-26-2008, 11:16 PM   #42
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone interested in my Pentax SMC 300mm f/4? I will probably put it on the marketplace next week.
A guy w/a handle of 'FastPhotography' is looking for bye has been having a hard time getting a lens like that. He's young w/o much $ and is looking for a bargan ... dunno if prices will agree, but you can send him a PM to see.
01-27-2008, 03:34 AM   #43
Veteran Member

All I can say is: WOW! Your photography ain't bad either!

I read the review by Pop Photo of the Sigmonster. To carry it you sling it over your shoulder as you walk!?!?!?

Oh, the price? $7000 at B&H!! I won't be rushing out to get one soon. But - the MTF graphs show amazing sharpness and contrast! It must be a performer at that price!

And yes, you have some extremely beautiful shots! I just wish that Flickr would let me view at higher resolution. Your photos deserve it!
Thanks for your kind comments Tom.
01-27-2008, 03:31 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok everyone, I have finally gotten some decent weather and did a field test with the new Bigma! Here is a link to a few of the photos I took this afternoon.

I also saw several other people with long lenses taking advantage of the perfect weather! One such photographer was Paul And A Pentax! He was with with Paul And A Pentax Junior!

Anyway - here is the link to the thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/19434-outing-zoo-my-new-...tml#post164111

Last edited by TomInJax; 01-27-2008 at 03:33 PM. Reason: D'Oh! Forgot to put the link!
02-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #45

Got my BIGMA today. But............

Hi! all,

I was excited until I tried testing it. I use a K110D and the AF does not focus. It is night here but the lights are on in the house.

In manual mode the cam gives the focus beep but the pic is out of focus.

Can someone help me with why this happens?

Thanks

Tasha